Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » IMAP & POP3
  •  
marylarson

Send a private message to this user
Is it possible to run IMAP and POP3 at the same time? I want to be able to share calendars but have the mail be delivered by POP3.

Thanks
  •  
Kerio_jthomas

Hi,

No this is not possible. IMAP keeps mail on the server, POP3 delivers it locally. Furthermore clients only handle one type of connection at a time.

POP3 is really old technology - doesn't even support folders! - and you should avoid using it if possible.

Joshua Thomas
Technical Support Manager
2350 Mission College Blvd, Suite 400
Santa Clara, CA 95054
Phone: (408) 496-4500
Fax: (408) 496-6902
http://www.kerio.com/support.html

•  
teco

About POP3:

- Any future plannings to support IMAP Download from the ISP?
- Any future plannings for POP3 Download from the ISP for Deletion-Delay on the ISP-Server (for example: delete 7 days after downloading)

Thank you.
  •  
marylarson

we use POP3 because we have sales people that travel and that work from their homes. This way if they are connected they can download\
email. Do you have a better suggestion?
  •  
Kerio_jthomas

teco wrote on Mon, 01 August 2005 12:41

About POP3:

- Any future plannings to support IMAP Download from the ISP?
- Any future plannings for POP3 Download from the ISP for Deletion-Delay on the ISP-Server (for example: delete 7 days after downloading)

Thank you.

I can't comment about future plans. EVER. About ANYTHING.

Thanks,
Joshua

Joshua Thomas
Santa Clara, CA 95054

•  
Kerio_jthomas

marylarson wrote on Mon, 01 August 2005 12:46

we use POP3 because we have sales people that travel and that work from their homes. This way if they are connected they can download\
email. Do you have a better suggestion?

Yes. Use IMAP and set it to fetch the bodies of all mail.

In Outlook 2003 with an IMAP profile: Tools -> Options -> Mail Setup -> Send/Recieve -> Edit -> Select the Inbox and other folders, change setting to 'Download complete item including attachments'.

Joshua Thomas
Santa Clara, CA 95054

•  
BudDurland

Quote:

Is it possible to run IMAP and POP3 at the same time? I want to be able to share calendars but have the mail be delivered by POP3.

Certainly; there are several ways to skin this particular feline. The server, of course, can provide POP and IMAP access simultaneously. The problem becomes the client.

IMHO, IMAP is the preferred connection method. You can usually configure the IMAP client to download the entire message for off-line use. Or, if bandwidth is a concern, only have it fetch message subjects & download only as needed.

POP clients can usually be configured to not delete messages from the server after downloading. Depending on the client, the message get deleted from the server when they are deleted at the POP client.

Most mail clients can also be configured to have more than one mail account, and can use a mix of POP or IMAP access.

Finally, there's good old WebMail -- calendar access, bandwidth efficiency, all those goodies.

Good is better than evil because it's nicer
--Mammy Yokum
  •  
peterj

Kerio_jthomas wrote on Mon, 01 August 2005 20:46

Thanks,
Joshua

Typical...
  •  
pwhodges

Kerio_jthomas wrote on Mon, 01 August 2005 20:46

I think I detect a hint of frustration here!

Paul
  •  
teco

Quote:

I think I detect a hint of frustration here!

If, and only if, I would be a bad person (what I am normaly not) I would please him to send us all a mail when he has moved to another mailserver mfr.

But, as stated above, I would only please him when I am a bad person....

btw. all our mail adresses are in the profile. If not maybe we would like to update?!?

This posting is nothing against or for Kerio. So it is imho OK with the forum policy...
Previous Topic: Mailing List Bounce Processing
Next Topic: Using KMS and OpenLDAP
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Nov 22 19:42:25 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00472 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.