Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Problems receiving inbound mail
  •  
ppsajohn

Send a private message to this user
I have Kerio 5.5, I think (can't afford upgrade) running on Mac OS X. It has been running a couple years pretty reliably. In the past couple weeks, lots of email sent to my domains (I have several) gets bounced because the other mailservers cannot connect to mine. From dnsstuff.com and dnsreport.com I see that error as well.

I think this is intermitent, because my registration from Kerio was delayed, but did eventually make it.

I think it could be network related, or a config issue on my end. Things "were" working ok before, though. I can't think of anything that changed. I'm glad to give someone the address if they want to see the report.

[Aside: I sometimes worry that the mailserver bundled with OS X, Postfix, may be conflicting since it has a process set to automatic.]

Has anyone had similar problems with inbound email? Is there anything I can do to test this out? (I connected but didn't see anything when I tried to telnet to port 25, but that could have been because of my telnet gateway at work.)

Thanks! John

[Updated on: Wed, 03 August 2005 22:34]

•  
nickrooster

turn off postfix and see if it happens. /etc/init.d/postfix stop on Linux. Dunno about Macs. Do a netstat -a | grep 25 and see what processes are listening on port 25. There are a couple things to try. Also, check your DNS setup and make sure you have an MX for your domain(s) setup.

-Nick
  •  
ppsajohn

Thanks. I did go into startup processes and disabled postfix and rebooted before. It didn't fix things. I will see what all is running though. Maybe something else is a conflict. Remember, it did work before and then stopped. None of those processes changed configuration.

DNS is fine. My single mailserver is listed and resolves (dnsstuff).

When a site, like "panix.com" tries to send email to my server, it is often timing out. Does Kerio have a problem handling a large volume of mail? We get a lot of spam. Of course, for me, a thousand emails a day is large. [Quite different at work where we have a million a day!]
  •  
nickrooster

Can you get to a terminal and do a ps ax and grep for mail and then do it again and grep for post?
What did your netstat return?
Also you could do an nmap for port 25 and see what it returns.
Otherwise, what anti-virus are you using?
Do you have two different solutions working the same store?
Related to the above: Do you have a second av solution scanning the store on the fly, while kerio's av is also doing scanning?

Check all that stuff and post results so I can help you better. :-)

When you telneted in, did it return anything on port 25? Should have given full hostname of machine, plus ESMTP ready, unless you have it advertising version number and product name...
Did you see that? Or just nothing? Is kerio running? What I mean by that is, has the process crashed due to (probably) the AV condition above?
Good luck!
-Nick
  •  
ppsajohn

Right now, there is no response when I "telnet ppsa.com 25". Yes, that's my server.

I am not running AV on the Mac or intending to use more than one email app. Just kerio. It seems like there are long gaps when all inbound mail times out.

I have to go get on the server to look for processes. I will post again when I do that. Thanks!
  •  
ppsajohn

When it does work, I get this from DNSREPORT.com:

Trying to connect to all mailservers:

ppsa.com. - 216.12.18.42 [Successful connect: Got a good response [250 2.1.5 Recipient ok (local)]]

This morning, after getting failed attempts, I killed the mailserver process. That seemed to kill Kerio. After the reboot my connection attempts worked.

I also had a ton of blackhole lists. Even though they were set to log instead of block, they could have caused the server to hang I'm thinking, so I unchecked both log and block on all but two of them before the reboot.
Previous Topic: Alternatives to KOC
Next Topic: sorting rules and users
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Nov 17 22:05:15 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00413 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.