Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » IMAP or KOC or POP3?
  •  
abubin

Send a private message to this user
I would like to know which method is best for users using outlook for their emails?

I would like to minimize the server space usage. Would be better if users store their mails on their own PC. Which is the best?

I find KOC to be quite good as users can share their contacts, schedules and so on but after seeing a lot of people having problems with it, I am not so sure I want to implement it.

IMAP means mails will be stored in server until the user delete them?

Currently using POP3 where users are give 20mb server space as users retrieve their mails daily, no need to give so much space to 1 user.

Which one are you using?

oh yes! forgot about sychronication method. Haven't tested this, not sure how it works.

[Updated on: Wed, 10 August 2005 04:36]

•  
teco

I have some users who likes outlook (hell knows why)

KOC is not installed. IMAP need some more configuration to work with outlook.

I have deactivated the internal POP3 server. Everything runns on IMAP. Nothing is stored locally on the client computers. It is a horror if you would try to make a backup if every mail is stored on every computer.

Calendar and shared contacts: Everything by Webmail interface. There is a calendar and shared contacts. Why using outlook when KMS has all inside?!?

If storage of the mails on the server is a problem with the required space - why using such a server, get a bigger hdd and the problem is solved.

We have here 40 users without size restriction. Only restriction: storage of private mails are prohibited. If this would be done in a way which would make storage problems (must be more as 200 GB) I will start to deactivate such users who has more private stuff as company stuff on the mails, and all the private mails will be deleted...

We have made a user agreement in this way, so everybody knows what will happen if it would be used as private mailbox.
  •  
abubin

storing in server would not work for my company because we have projects where files are as large as 20mb. Despite asking them to use filesharing method to share large files, users are somehow too lazy and prefer using email method.

My users also have the habit of storing all the emails in their account. All those mails in outbox or even in trash are kept for reasons beyond me. I have a few users have their mails boxes at the size of 1gb or more. Imagine with 10 users like that, it would slow down the server.

BTW, what's the difference between IMAP and KOC? Both have mails stored in the server. One using IMAP protocol and the other using MAPI. Beside that is there any other difference? What's the pro and con?
  •  
teco

Well, we are sending construction drawings and other things via email. So 20 MB per message seems to be normal..

KOC vs. IMAP
KOC PRO:
- integration to Outlook for sharing folders and calendar

KOC CONTRA:
- a very, very buggy thing.

IMAP PRO:
- Everything is on the server. Backupcopy can be stored locally
- Easy backup structure, everything on server

IMAP CONTRA:
- Large server hdd required
- somewhat slow if many users transmitt large emails at the same time

1 GB per user is not much. If you like to have everything done with POP3 then hopefully you have a good backup structure.

If you have a storage problem on the server I suggest that you do not turn on the archive function on the server. It would need some space.

KOC is the last software I would install. To much bugs are shown here on the forum. If you need a shared calendar without IMAP and without Webmail (which stores also everthing on the server) I do not know if you would get happy with KMS..

btw. how much users do you have? With the provided information I would count something above 150 users...
  •  
abubin

anyone else can reply? Please let me know how you setup your user's to use KMS and why use that method.

Thanks in advance.
  •  
winkelman

Here we use webmail only (for about 80 users). Benefits are centralised storage (easy to backup) and centralised management (no client programs to maintain). And of course available anywhere in the world with an Internet connection.

PS: I have a few people on Outlook (with KOC), because they need to sync there Palms.
Previous Topic: Other email clients able to access public/contacts?
Next Topic: allow user to send email from another mailbox KOC
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Thu Nov 23 13:51:36 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00433 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.