Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » KMS on FreeBSD
  •  
rmccallu

Send a private message to this user
Has anyone tried running KMS on FreeBSD with linux compatility?
I have 5.7.10 running on FreeBSD 5.4 to see if it would work.
I have not done any stress testing but it does seem to work.
I would be interested to know if anyone has this running in a production environment.
Also it might be a good idea for kerio to create a native FreeBSD version as it is an excellent platform for a mail server. Kerio might even pick up more users than they did with the OS X version.
  •  
badams7

bump...I would love to see a FreeBSD version of Kerio.

I know many people running FreeBSD servers that would buy Kerio for an all in one solution. However, most of them won't even consider moving to linux.

I personally recommend *BSD servers over linux servers to all clients that contact us. That obviously rules out Kerio which would be an awesome option to have.
  •  
Kerio_jthomas

Well, there are only two requests for this ever - both in this thread =)

But we have a suggestion open for it.

Joshua Thomas
Technical Support Manager
2350 Mission College Blvd, Suite 400
Santa Clara, CA 95054
Phone: (408) 496-4500
Fax: (408) 496-6902
http://www.kerio.com/support.html

•  
jshaw541

The last time I did informal benchmark tests (back in the fbsd 4.7 days) , I was seeing perhaps a 1-2% slowdown running Linux binaries on FreeBSD so this may not be worth the development effort.

I would much rather see Kerio's scarce development resources not fragment any more than they already have. But as a former FreeBSD person, I can sympathize with these folks' desires.

Kerio MailServer 6.7.1 w/AD
Windows Server 2003 SP 1
Dell PowerEdge 2850 (Dual Xeon 3.2ghz and 2 GB RAM)
~1300 users
~1000+ concurrent IMAPS connections
iPhone users
Outlook 2007 KOFF users
Apple iCal 10.5/10.6 users
  •  
rmccallu

I do think there is a large untapped market of FreeBSD users that include ISP's and small to medium companies that do not want to deal with the hassle of the open source alternatives and require some enterprise level features. The question is how much effort would it take to create a FreeBSD version in relation to the number of users you could gain. My guess is that most of the code being used is already portable.
  •  
jshaw541

I would assume, "porting" KMS to FreeBSD would be little more than a recompile. However, considerable resources must inevitably be dumped into QA testing and support of said port.

I wonder what the real usage stats are on FreeBSD these days. It's certainly a robust system. I don't even blink an eye when I see FreeBSD boxes with 2+ year uptimes, anymore.

Kerio MailServer 6.7.1 w/AD
Windows Server 2003 SP 1
Dell PowerEdge 2850 (Dual Xeon 3.2ghz and 2 GB RAM)
~1300 users
~1000+ concurrent IMAPS connections
iPhone users
Outlook 2007 KOFF users
Apple iCal 10.5/10.6 users
  •  
rmccallu

I agree, that significant effort would need to be put into QA. A port would be great, but I certainly did/do not expect it to happen. I just wanted to see if anyone else was trying to run in using linux compatibility or if there was any interest in it. Hopefully Kerio will at least look into the viability of such a port.
I am set to try it out (linux compatibility) in a production env of 100 or so users within the next couple of months.
I will post the results.

As you said the FreeBSD OS is very robust. The addition of Kerio would create a "rock solid" mail server with enterprise features.
  •  
badams7

I don't know how many requests you will see on the forum itself.

I am speaking from the perspective of an ISP and a consultant to businesses and other ISPs.

I have many end users who would love to run Kerio on their FreeBSD server because they could manage it easily themselves and it includes everything they need. It would not require them to learn the several different components....i.e. postfix just for the MTA, courier or cyrus for the IMAP end and something else for the web end or management end.

If there is already a linux version of Kerio I imagine porting it would not be too huge of a deal...not to mention MacOS now uses a FreeBSD kernel. :)

[Updated on: Mon, 03 April 2006 23:58]

•  
Kerio_jthomas

Hi badams7,

If you can contact us (via http://support.kerio.com, submit a ticket - or call us) and give us details on each end user and the number of licenses they would be interested in, we can update the status of this suggestion.

We monitor the number of requests and the number of licenses involved as one point to determine future features. So your input would be very useful.

Cheers,
Joshua

badams7 wrote on Mon, 03 April 2006 14:58

I don't know how many requests you will see on the forum itself.

I am speaking from the perspective of an ISP and a consultant to businesses and other ISPs.

I have many end users who would love to run Kerio on their FreeBSD server because they could manage it easily themselves and it includes everything they need. It would not require them to learn the several different components....i.e. postfix just for the MTA, courier or cyrus for the IMAP end and something else for the web end or management end.

If there is already a linux version of Kerio I imagine porting it would not be too huge of a deal...not to mention MacOS now uses a FreeBSD kernel. Smile

Joshua Thomas
Technical Support Manager
2350 Mission College Blvd, Suite 400
Santa Clara, CA 95054
Phone: (408) 496-4500
Fax: (408) 496-6902
http://www.kerio.com/support.html

•  
rmccallu

Joshua,
I have submitted a ticket on this subject as you requested.
Ticket id:PBC-670909

Thanks
Robert
  •  
badams7

seems there isn't enough demand yet?

The big issue is this...many people prefer not to run linix (they run *BSD). However, if forced to run Linux there should at least be some support for something other than RedHat.

Preferably Gentoo since it has a similar port system like FreeBSD.

I see there are some hacks to make Kerio work on different platforms...it would be nice if Kerio officially supporting some of them.
  •  
willowsv

There is support for SuSE as well
  •  
kkesler

So who out there is running Kerio on FreeBSD now? This latest dst issue (don't have any channels with redhat) has me ready to give this a try. We have a room full of FreeBSD boxes here, the Kerio box is our only Redhat one.
  •  
rmccallu

Well, when last we tried running under linux compatibility there was a problem with the watchdog service that always reported that there was no free disk space and would shut down the services.
We are in the same boat, that is our last linux machine in a room full of FreeBSD. If you make any headway please post.
badams7

you would think the *BSD market would be bigger than the linux and/or mac in the server world

I don't run Linux in a server environment if at all possible.
Previous Topic: KMS Push mail on a different Port
Next Topic: Substitute the primary internal mailserver
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Nov 24 17:56:03 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00524 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.