Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Q&A: Kerio Support
  •  
Kerio_jthomas

Send a private message to this user
Here's your chance to ask anything you want about our Support Team and how we work. I'll try to answer what I can.

Some information may be considered sensitive, so I might not be able to answer - but go ahead, please ask.

Here's some background information:

We have three support teams: One at our corporate HQ in Santa Clara , CA; one in Cambridge, UK; and one at our development office at Prague, in the Czech Republic.

The UK support office is staffed by John Jones and David Thorne. They handle support for Western Europe and parts of Central Asia.

Support for Eastern Europe and Russia is handled by our Czech office, staffed by Petr Dobry, Pavel Stepanek, Pavel Polak, Milan Vytlacil, and David Kral.

Our office here in the United States is responsible for the rest of the world. Our support staff is Brian Carmichael, Jeff Wadlow, Ken Whittaker and myself.

The US and CZ offices also have Sales Engineers to help with some of these technical issues. They also work to develop solutions for customers.

Joshua Thomas
Technical Support Manager
2350 Mission College Blvd, Suite 400
Santa Clara, CA 95054
Phone: (408) 496-4500
Fax: (408) 496-6902
http://www.kerio.com/support.html

•  
peterj

wow - I didn't realise there were so few Kerio support staff. I have had (eventual) ticket replies from most of these named people. (US & UK anyway)

Can I suggest that based on response times more staff would be useful along with more effective communication with the developers...

•  
jshaw541

My questions:

1. On an average week, how busy are you tech support guys in the US?

2. Does each team handle the tech support for all Kerio products, or are specific teams for specific products?

3. How much formal and informal contact do you have with the KMS developers? Do each section largely keep to themselves?

4. What's the work environment at Kerio like, both atmosphere and dress code-wise? ;)

5. What are some of your annoyan^H^H^H. What could customers do better when you're dealing with their case?

Thanks Joshua

Kerio MailServer 6.7.1 w/AD
Windows Server 2003 SP 1
Dell PowerEdge 2850 (Dual Xeon 3.2ghz and 2 GB RAM)
~1300 users
~1000+ concurrent IMAPS connections
iPhone users
Outlook 2007 KOFF users
Apple iCal 10.5/10.6 users
  •  
Kerio_jthomas

Good questions Jacob Smile

> 1. On an average week, how busy are you tech support guys in the US?

Pretty busy. We spend most of our time answering phones and replying to email tickets. We attempt to reproduce bugs and customer configurations in our test lab, and then report our findings to the development team. We also help our Sales team with technical questions, and sometimes we even can post to the forums Smile

The releases of KMS 6.1.0 and KPF 4.2.0 have made us very busy. New products always come with many new questions from customers and some bugs.

> 2. Does each team handle the tech support for all Kerio products, or are specific teams for specific products?

Yes, each office handles all products. Some of us have special skills which allows us to divide work. Brian is our WinRoute specalist; Jeff is very good with the MailServer; and Ken has special skills in debugging crashes, hangs and issues where the entire process goes awry.

> 3. How much formal and informal contact do you have with the KMS developers? Do each section largely keep to themselves?

We communicate with the developers through our bug reporting system (we use the excellent open-source Bugzilla), through email, mailing lists, instant messenger programs, and some phone calls - however calling across the world is not cheap so we limit it. The development team are all great, hard working people. Often they are awake and available when we are in the office, which means it's the night for them.

They also read in here from time to time, so be careful. Wink

Our support teams communicate with each other through our mailing lists and our support system. We also have conference calls to share problems and solutions.

> 4. What's the work environment at Kerio like, both atmosphere and dress code-wise? Wink

Well, I can't comment for the UK or CZ offices. However, the CZ office was recently awarded "Best Company to Work For" for the Czech Republic. It even won over their brewery, which must tell you something Wink

At Kerio US it's very informal, a very classic California style. It's a casual dress code; as technical people we get some slack than the sales people. Our Sales and Support people share a large open area so we can help each other out; we are usually no more than a few dozen feet from each other.

It's a busy, high energy place to work for. I usually sit down and start working and stop only for a meeting or lunch, and by the time the end of the day comes I've not noticed the time gone by.

> 5. What are some of your annoyan^H^H^H. What could customers do better when you're dealing with their case?

Hahahaha.

Well, it's more useful to submit tickets at http://support.kerio.com, because we get your OS, version, product and license or trial ID. This means we don't have to ask all those questions over again, which saves everyone time.

It's very useful if you have read the product manuals, often we repeat things that are in the manual.

When there are bugs or something unsual is happening, being able to reproduce it consistently is the most useful thing. If you can show us how to recreate the problem, we can get it to our develelopers and get it fixed. Every little detail is useful in this case - exact steps of what you did, versions of all programs, what other software you have installed, other network devices you have, what you ate for lunch.... well maybe not that one. Very Happy

Cheers,
Joshua

Joshua Thomas
Santa Clara, CA 95054

•  
puskas

I would like there be more information given to the the users who are buying the product. I am a mainly Mac based company who have taken Kerio onto several companies. Generaly I feel that the product has a lot of potential and could make a big impact on the market.

However, I feel that there is not enough information given out to people like myself. For example, I would like to know what is the most stable product for OSX users to use. I installed 6.0.10 onto a customer, but then everyone started having network droput error messages when sending emails. I was then given a patch that I put onto another new install. This basically made everybody crash around 10 times a day. I rolled it back to 6.0.10 without a patch, and that solved some of the problems but it was still really bad.

Meanwhile, the first customer still has these droputs, but I am reluctant to install any patches incase it makes it worse. I have now just been told that the customer is receiving dupliacte emails!

The big answer from support is to upgrade to 6.1, but I have tried this with one of the customers and webmail wouldn't run, so rolled back. So there are obviously still bugs there and I can't move any customer to 6.1 without webmail, so need to wait till this is fixed.

So my questions to you are as follows -

What is the most stable version of Kerio that works with Entourage?

Have you heard of these duplicate email problems before?

Can I access more information about bugs and issues with KMS?

Is the webmail issue fixed in 6.1 yet?

Thanks
Puskas
  •  
winkelman

I like the sticky posting "Kerio Mail Server 6.1.0 Bug Track List". It is really helpful in finding out if some bugs are already known.

However, how can I access the ticket page of a known bug?

For example, I would like to know more of bug "9749 - Migration via IMAP issues", because with KMS 6.1.0 our mailserver always crashes about 15 minutes after I've migrated a user to KMS using IMAP. Plus our migration tool (Transend Migrator) fails to create the correct folder structure, while in all previous versions of KMS this was no problem. Is this bug 9749? Some other bug?

I have similar questions on other bugs. Just open another ticket about these things?
  •  
Tr!une

I would add that my experience with KMS support (mostly Brian and Jeff) has been positive. Being in the same time zone as them creates a challenge when I needed to do some heavy trouble shooting. I would rather do it in the off hours to avoid being down during business hours, but my users are spoiled that way.

My KMS experience has been good as a whole, but I tend to avoid any X.0 release and let others take the beating. I am dearly waiting for 6.1.1, because I need the navy.mil issue fixed, but I am can't handle a major problem with 6.1.0. The owner thinks our mail system is unstable and crash prone eventhough we have had only one crash in 3 years. Anytime he can't send or receive, it must be a problem with our server, rather than an issue with whatever remote network he is on at the time.

So my question is, When is your product going to be perfect?
  •  
Kerio_jthomas

> When is your product going to be perfect?

When I become rich and famous, and world peace is at hand. Laughing

Seriously, please point me to a perfect piece of software. I don't think there is such a thing.

What we all a Kerio want is a great piece of software. I think we will get there. We have some growing pains, like many other companies.

Joshua Thomas
Santa Clara, CA 95054

•  
puskas

Joshua,

I would appreciate if you could have a bash at my questions.....

What is the most stable version of Kerio that works with Entourage?

Have you heard of these duplicate email problems before?

Can I access more information about bugs and issues with KMS?

Is the webmail issue fixed in 6.1 yet?

Is there a synchronisation bug with Entourage and Kerio? (I am beginning to notice that some users are having this problem)

Thanks again
Puskas
Previous Topic: Relay mail as Secondary MX
Next Topic: Webmail
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Nov 25 00:58:28 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00452 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.