Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Control » why DHCP is not working well?
  •  
ahmed_alhamdany2

Send a private message to this user
hi for all , the dhcp service is enabled in my kwf server, and when the client points the ip in his pc as an automatically detected it's working normally but the trouble is that this client can also point a static ip and it's working too, the result is a conflict ip . it's a problem Mad , help me please Sad
  •  
winkelman

Sure, if you do not prevent users from being able to change their IP address settings they can go in and change it to whatever they like. Including to IP addresses already in use. You can't 'blame' the DHCP server for this...

If you want your users on DHCP, either tell them not to mess with the settings or make it impossible for them to mess with the settings.
  •  
ahmed_alhamdany2

No I did'nt blame the dhcp server for this. I know the function of dhcp. the matter is why the users can surf the internet with a static ip when a dhcp service is active . I want to prevent users from surfing the internet with a static ip , this will lead to a conflict ip problem. I don't understand from you how to ( make it impossible for them to mess with the settings ). Can you take me a brief solution for this , please.

I want to tell you that I have a D-link DSA 3100 airospot public/private gateway , and I enabled the dhcp service in it with no problems like this . the clients can not surf the internet with a static ip .
  •  
winkelman

I don't think it is possible for a router to distinguish between static and dynamic IP addresses. Either you computer has the right IP configuration (manually entered or received through DHCP) or not. The router doesn't know where this configuration came from...

Would the router and the DHCP server be the same device, I could see that the router could only route packets from IP addresses it has in it's lease-table. However, I never saw such a feature. It would have to be a real feature, because by itself routing and DHCP does not work like this. They are completely seperate things.

You could make it impossible for people to turn off DHCP and manually enter settings by a) making their Windows accounts non-Admin and b) creating a policy that disables the IP settings dialog for non-Admins.
  •  
Wazomba

"...I want to tell you that I have a D-link DSA 3100 airospot public/private gateway , and I enabled the dhcp service in it with no problems like this . the clients can not surf the internet with a static ip ..."
RE: It seems your users had no problem unitl you enabled the KWF DHCP service while the D-Link DHCP was already running. disable one of them.

"...the matter is why the users can surf the internet with a static ip when a dhcp service is active ."
RE: The DHCP server does not deny anyone to use the IP he wants, but assigns automatically Ips to those who ask him if the IP belongs to the scope that it manages of course.

"...I want to prevent users from surfing the internet with a static ip , this will lead to a conflict ip problem".
RE: DHCP conflicts occurs when 2 DHCP servers are enabled in the same network, or when their are not well configured, or when someone uses an already-used IP. You must then used windows security policies to deny any manual change of IP settings.

Note this: winXP computers can self-auto assigned IP addresses when they dont find a DHCP server at boot or IP renewal time.
Check this in the TCP/IP properties (Alternate conf).
Normally, you do not need to change anything there unless you have a dhcp problem.
My opinion : You should check that only ONE DHCP server is running and setup it up correctly.
Previous Topic: VPN & DHCP server
Next Topic: SSH on port 10001 problem
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Nov 24 01:10:31 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00417 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.