Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Cannot receive e-mails
  •  
entenie

Send a private message to this user
Hi all,

So I've been working on this problem for a couple of weeks, and started to get annoyed and tired of calling every helpdesk that could be related to this problem.

A couple of weeks ago, we bought a new dell server with Windows server 2003 Web edition. We couldn't just replace the server with the new one as we got a lot of people that need internet and e-mail to do there work. So I decided to just test it out using only one client connected through a HUB. Everything worked perfectly: Kerio Mailserver and winroute firewall installation went fine, I could create accounts, use webmail (localy) and send and receive emails, etc.

A week ago I tried the real deal. Connected the server to the internet with a Speedtouch 510i (ADSL) and configured the network properly to be able to surf the internet. Kerio should be configured properly as far as I can see (Don't know too much about the whole server, internet, kerio thing as I'm just working here from school, and the netwerkingdude here has been sick for a long time, and the server needs to be replaced!) I made a few test accounts and I was able to send e-mails to everyone! Tried sending a few to my gmail and hotmail accounts, worked perfectly.

So here's the problem:
I tried sending an email from my hotmail, gmail or even from my provider at home to one of the test accounts I created here, but after 3 days it bounced back! There isn't ANYTHING in the Kerio logs, and the bounced e-mail isn't much of a help either, as it's just telling me the server is not respdonding.

You can imagine the people who need to do there work here are getting a little annoyed whenever I try something new, and replace the server again (whenever I give up or it's time to go home I start up the old server and everything works fine).

So here are the specs and features and all:
The new Dell server is connected with a Speedtouch 510i (with upgrade) instead of the old modem which uses RAS connections (whatever that means :P ). The speedtouch gives all the computers connect an ip address in the 10.0.0.** series (and has 10.0.0.138 as it's own address to connect to when you want to configure the modem) it also has a firewall inside. Turning off the firewall is not an option available, but you can give up an ip address of the server which will redirect all the ports to that ip address.

I called Kerio support and they helped me configure Mailserver to send emails, but unforunately they couldn't help with the fact that I'm not able to receive anything. They told me to contact my provider and the speedtouch support line.

My provider doesn't give support for Kerio (insert naughty word here and point it against them) and speedtouch isn't picking up the phone, with there darn 70eurocents per minute! Being hopeless from this point I looked up the Micoroft helpdesk to see if there aren't any hidden surprises in Windows server 2003 web edition that I do not know of.. unfortunately you have to pay like 100 euro's to call them :S

So here I am...

Hope you guys can help me out, as i'm really stuck at this moment!

Cya!
- Entenie
  •  
nickrooster

Well, it sounds like you are about to learn a lot about DNS! :-)
If the gmail.com or hotmail.com domain cannot resolve your domain through DNS, it will not be able to send mail.
Do you host your own DNS, or do you have DNS hosted through your registrar?
If you host your own, make sure you set up a second MX record (Mail eXchanger, and only do that if you are keeping your old mailserver on the network at the same time. If not, you could always, for testing, change your new server's hostname to match the old one and check it out then.) for your domain, make sure that host has an A record, and has reverse lookup.
Well, it's early Monday over here and my brain is mush. That's all I can think of.

But yeah, definitely DNS issue. Another thing to test is ping mail.yourdomain.com and see what happens (of course, this will return something if your old mailserver is plugged in.)
  •  
sedell

I'm wondering if it has something to do with the Speedtouch 510i. Is it configured for static NAT, or port forwarding of some kind?

Scott
  •  
nickrooster

Good point sedell. If NAT is enabled but set to NAT to the wrong (or non-existant) machine it will exhibit a similar behavior to DNS problems.
Good call indeed.
-Nick
  •  
winkelman

Since the topic starter hasn't mentioned ANYTHING about domains, DNS, MX records etc. and mentioning he is not an IT guy, I suppose he thinks just installing the server would be enough to be able to sent and receive email. Right?

If this is the case: well, it's not that easy. How should some other mailserver who is sending you mail (such as Hotmail, Gmail, etc.) know where to find you? You need to let the Internet know there's a new mail domain in town (and where the mailserver that handles it's mails is, of course [your KMS]).

In this matter: it would be very helpful if you would post here the EXACT message you get when your test mails bounce back. It usually mentions the problem in the mail itself or in some attachement...

[Updated on: Mon, 22 August 2005 18:14]

•  
sonofcolin

What do your debug logs say? Are you getting any incoming smtp connections? I would start here. If your router isn't set to forward all incoming smtp connections to a specific static IP on your LAN, then you definitely will not receive any mail.
  •  
peterj

..... :-)

My advice - Give up and wait for the IT guy to come back.

If you really can't do that then tell us what your domain name is & we (I) will check the DNS/MX config.

I am assuming that you are receiving mail via SMTP and that your speedtouch has port forwarding setup for TCP/25 to your mailserver...?

It may be that you simply need to collect from a/some POP3 mailbox in which case it may be fairly simple to get you up and running.

If none of the above makes any sense then give up and hand the problem over to someone with more experience... You are only likely to damage something if you carry on without basic knowledge of TCP/IP fundamentals etc..
  •  
entenie

Thanks for all the replies guys. Please do note that I got fully permission from the Network Administrator to try and figure out what the problem is, and that I am here to learn, and with help from these forums I can and will (hopefuly) learn how this all works, but thanks for the concern.

So here's the message I get sent back to my hotmail:

Quote:

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Unable to deliver message to the following recipients, due to being unable to connect successfully to the destination mail server.

test<_at_>vrijwilligerscentrale.info

To: test<_at_>vrijwilligerscentrale.info
Subject: test
Sent: Friday, August 19, 2005 9:12 AM
test

I'm at home right now, but I'll make some print screens of both the speedtouch setup as it is configured at this moment, and the Kerio Mailserver config.

Thanks for the help so far :)

- Entenie

EDIT: Server is offline right now, I'll post as soon as I start it up tomorrow.
EDIT 2: I just remembered, this could be helpful info, but not sure: you can't ping the server at all!

[Updated on: Mon, 22 August 2005 20:13]

•  
sedell

I couldn't get a connection. Did you verify the MX records to make sure it's pointing at the right IP address? It looks like either the wrong IP address in MX, a NAT/port forwarding issue at your router, or the port is being blocked outright.

Scott
  •  
peterj

You didn't answer the questions, have you setup the PAT in your speedtouch?

I would also point out that you only have one Mail Exchanger record in the DNS for vrijwilligerscentrale.info.
(Which is mail.vrijwilligerscentrale.info)

This is bad practice and gives you no redundancy if/when your server or connection is down.

Perhaps the screenshots tomorrow will prove illuminating...?
Fingers crossed..
Previous Topic: unknown user
Next Topic: Can't see users in Public Contacts
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Nov 21 12:49:36 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00419 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.