Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Q&A: Do you support...
  •  
Kerio_jthomas

Send a private message to this user
Hi all,

Here in support we get many questions about what features or configurations are supported. We understand many of you may be using the product in a way we haven't forseen, or that in fact isn't possible.

Feel free to ask all your "Can you support..." or "Is it possible.." questions here. I will try to answer. This can serve as a resource for everyone.

Also please note that we track requests for features, so there is no need to ask for feature XXX or configuration XYZ to be added; if there is enough interest we put serious consideration into including it into our product. =)

[Updated on: Wed, 15 November 2006 04:29] by Moderator

Joshua Thomas
Technical Support Manager
2350 Mission College Blvd, Suite 400
Santa Clara, CA 95054
Phone: (408) 496-4500
Fax: (408) 496-6902
http://www.kerio.com/support.html

•  
jshaw541

How are your larger customers (>=2000 users) handling KMS performance? As we move more and more of our 2000 users to IMAPS and Secure SMTP, I'm having to do more and more tweaking within KMS for more performance and resources. I'm starting to look to clustering for both load-balancing and fault-tolerance.

FYI, this is on a 2 x 2.8ghz Xeon Dell PowerEdge box with 2GB RAM, Windows 2003, AD integration.

KMS is still by no means slow, but I can tell it's something to start thinking about when I play with Performance Monitor. Also, decent fault-tolerance would be nice.

Kerio MailServer 6.7.1 w/AD
Windows Server 2003 SP 1
Dell PowerEdge 2850 (Dual Xeon 3.2ghz and 2 GB RAM)
~1300 users
~1000+ concurrent IMAPS connections
iPhone users
Outlook 2007 KOFF users
Apple iCal 10.5/10.6 users
  •  
sinumsen

We are planning to use the Kerio mailserver as a virtuel host mailserver with multiple domains. For now we host alle our custumers web on Mac and their email on Cobalt Rack servers.

We want to only create one admin for each domain, and then let the domain-admins create the useraccounts them self on the Kerio mailserver.

Now, how can we control the max allowed MB for each domain?? As i can see, the only settings i can do, is to limit the number of users.
  •  
Kerio_jthomas

Hi Jacob,

We have a few very large (2000+ users) customers.

Much of what we recommend for server performance is based on how the user is planning to set their environment up. Some of the protocol, eg KOC, require more resources than others.

The list, in order of increasing resource deamnds:

* POP3
* IMAP (with out without KSP)
* Webmail
* KOC

2000 POP3 users can be handled on less server resources than 2000 KOC users.

Here's a rough guide for MINIMUM requirements for CONCURRENT USERS (logged on an reading/sending mail at the same time):

Up to 40 KOC users; Up to 50 WebMail users; Up to 60 IMAP users; up to 100 POP3 users - 1GHZ P4 / 800Mhz G4, 512MB RAM

Up to 80 KOC users; Up to 100 WebMail users; Up to 120 IMAP users; Up to 200 POP3 users - 2 GHZ P4 / 1.6 Ghz G4/G5, 1GB RAM

Up to 150 KOC users; Up to 200 WebMail users; Up to 250 IMAP users; up to 300 POP3 users - 2x 2GHZ P4 / 2x 1.6GHZ G4/G5, 2GB RAM

Up to 500 KOC users; Up to 700 WebMail users; up to 800 IMAP users; up to 1000 POP3 users - 2x 3.2GHZ P4 / 2x 2Ghz G5, 4GB RAM

Up to 1000 KOC users; up to 1500 WebMail users; up to 2000 IMAP users; up to 2500 POP3 users - 4x 2GHZ P4 / 4x 2GHZ G5, 8GB RAM

Remember that this is for _concurrent_ users. If you have 1000 KPC users but only 100 of them are ever logged in at the same time, then your useage is around the "150 KOC users" area.

Drive space requirements are all over the place. Depends on how many email your users keep.

Cheers,
Joshua

Joshua Thomas
Santa Clara, CA 95054

•  
jshaw541

A followup I meant to mention yesterday, but forgot:

Has Kerio thought about implementing IMAP proxying? Not just to reduce server load, but to increase the user experience. We've used the open source "imapproxy" in the past and noticed large speed increases.

Or perhaps you're already using it, and thats why the 6.1 webmail is so much more nimble?

Windows Server 2003 SP 1
~1300 users
iPhone users
Outlook 2007 KOFF users
  •  
Kerio_jthomas

sinumsen wrote on Tue, 23 August 2005 15:11

We are planning to use the Kerio mailserver as a virtuel host mailserver with multiple domains. For now we host alle our custumers web on Mac and their email on Cobalt Rack servers.

We want to only create one admin for each domain, and then let the domain-admins create the useraccounts them self on the Kerio mailserver.

Now, how can we control the max allowed MB for each domain?? As i can see, the only settings i can do, is to limit the number of users.

You're correct. At the moment, you have the ability to set the total number of users per domain and the quota per user; but the total drive space per domain isn't yet possible. I'll file a product suggestion on your behalf.

Cheers,
Joshua Thomas

Joshua Thomas
Santa Clara, CA 95054

•  
Kerio_jthomas

jshaw541 wrote on Wed, 24 August 2005 08:19

A followup I meant to mention yesterday, but forgot:

Has Kerio thought about implementing IMAP proxying? Not just to reduce server load, but to increase the user experience. We've used the open source "imapproxy" in the past and noticed large speed increases.

Or perhaps you're already using it, and thats why the 6.1 webmail is so much more nimble?

Hi Jacobm,

I'm not familar with IMAP proxying. Can you explain how it works and how you used it?

Cheers,
Joshua Thomas

Joshua Thomas
Santa Clara, CA 95054

•  
dvnuland

I was thinking about being able to view multiple e-mail accounts in webmail. So that user1 working on the support department can view user1<_at_>company.com as well as support<_at_>company.com in a single webmail interface. Would that be possible?
  •  
winkelman

Just give people read -or edit rights on your emailfolders and you can view as many email accounts within Webmail as you like...

Really 'being' another user (being able to reply in other peoples names), is another matter. That would be nice, yes, but currently not possible AFAIK.
  •  
jshaw541

Instead of trying to explain IMAP proxying, I'll just paste from the FAQ of the imapproxy software:

What is the imapproxy?
The name says almost all you need to know. It proxies IMAP transactions between an IMAP client and an IMAP server. The general idea is that the client should never know that it's not talking to the real IMAP server. The only thing that makes this a slightly unique Imap Proxy server is that it caches server connections.

Why was imapproxy written in the first place?
imapproxy was written to compensate for webmail clients that are unable to maintain persistent connections to an IMAP server. Most webmail clients need to log in to an IMAP server for nearly every single transaction. This behaviour can cause tragic performance problems on the IMAP server. imapproxy tries to deal with this problem by leaving server connections open for a short time after a webmail client logs out. When the webmail client connects again, imapproxy will determine if there's a cached connection available and reuse it if possible.

I am unsure if Kerio webmail suffers from the "needing to log in every transaction" syndrome.

Windows Server 2003 SP 1
~1300 users
iPhone users
Outlook 2007 KOFF users
  •  
giampos

jshaw541 wrote on Tue, 23 August 2005 22:49

I'm starting to look to clustering for both load-balancing and fault-tolerance.
............ Also, decent fault-tolerance would be nice.

.....and what about this? (cluster)

•  
Kerio_jthomas

> I'm starting to look to clustering for both load-balancing and fault-tolerance.

Well, KMS currently doesn't have any native facility for load-balancing or fault-tolerance. Maybe in the future. There is a suggestion for it.

For fault-tolerance on data I suggest mailserver attached to external SCSI RAID.

For fault-tolerance on service, your best bet is to have a spare machine for hot-swap. Update configuration files every day (or hourly, if you're very worried). This should be done easily with script or batch file in Windows.

With both of these, you can have data seperated from the server. If the main server fails, just plug RAID into backup server and you're OK to go.

This works best when using Active Directory or Open Directory. That way user information is not stored on the mailserver, so there is no chance of losing account information, and no need to copy users.cfg file around.

Cheers,
Joshua

Joshua Thomas
Santa Clara, CA 95054

•  
bronco

Is there a way to import Rules created in Outlook 2K3 into KOC or to let the KOC not mess with it?

When the clients set up rules in Outlook 2K3 KOC will automatically throw them away. They use KOC with IMAP to KMS 6.0.10.

[Updated on: Thu, 01 September 2005 02:05]

•  
winkelman

You could use software like Double Take (http://www.nsisoftware.com/what-we-offer/double-take/) for fully automatic server mirroring and fail-over. This software automatically mirrors the complete server(s) and automatically takes over the server name and IP adres in case of a disaster. Works very nice. And works for all Windows servers, not just for KMS. And it's a lot cheaper than MS Windows Clustering...
Kerio_jthomas

> Is there a way to import Rules created in Outlook 2K3 into KOC or to let the KOC not mess with it?

Sadly, not, there is not. (for either).

Rules created in Outlook under 'Email Rules' can not be saved because KMS doesn't handle the method used by Exchange server to store these rules. If you create them, they are not saved, so they just vanish.

We would disable the menu entirely, but we can not change internal menus of Outlook.

You need to educate your users to use the KOC dialogue for mail rules.

Joshua Thomas
Santa Clara, CA 95054

Previous Topic: KMS 6.3 + KOC + Windows Mobile = ?
Next Topic: Sending mail
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Nov 18 15:06:07 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00523 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.