Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » OS X Invisible Store Folder
  •  
Bob Johnston

Send a private message to this user
I'm new here as we just purchased KMS 6.1.0 running on a PowerMac G5 and OS X 10.4.2.

After selecting the default install options, the store is located here: /Macintosh/usr/local/kerio/mailserver/store.

At times I'll need full access to the Store folder. How can I access it since it's invisible?

Should I move the Store folder to a new location or create a new Store in a new location?

Thanks...
  •  
sonofcolin

You need to log in as root.
  •  
Bob Johnston

So is it best to run under the root user all the time? I guess I'm confused. If I am supposed to make changes to the Store folder from time to time (troubleshooting issues with specific user accounts), am I supposed to log out and log back in as the root user?
  •  
sonofcolin

Bob Johnston wrote on Wed, 24 August 2005 10:58

So is it best to run under the root user all the time? I guess I'm confused. If I am supposed to make changes to the Store folder from time to time (troubleshooting issues with specific user accounts), am I supposed to log out and log back in as the root user?

You don't need to run as any user. KMS starts at boot time and does not require any user to be logged in. If you need to change the store, then log in as root user. Make sure you stop KMS before you change anything!

Are you new to os x? You can be logged in as a 'non-priveleged' user and on 10.3 and 10.4 can use 'fast user switching' to go between users without logging out of the current user. Not a good idea to keep root logged in.
  •  
Bob Johnston

No, I've been using OS X since the first beta came out. I'm just switching from an older mail server to KMS and want things to be as simple as possible for my management of KMS. That's why I was asking if I should create a new Store folder, say in my Documents folder, under the current non-root user. I wonder if that will give me access to the Store files if necessary.

I've read some posts here that say from time to time ther Store folder must be accessed.

I couldn't find anything about the Store folder on OS X in the Administrator's Guide.
  •  
sonofcolin

Ok. You can place the store whereever you like as long as you set this in the advanced options of the KMS admin console. However, the permissions set on the store folder are for the root user only, so regardless of where your store is, it can only be accessed by the root user.
  •  
Bob Johnston

Huh? So I need to look into your suggestion about using the "fast user switching" option? I set that up and can now switch between the current user and root user. This is how everyone accesses the Store folder while running OS X?
  •  
Kerio_jthomas

The store folder is owned by and readable only by root, for security reasons (ie, everyone else could read user email if it was not so).

Joshua Thomas
Technical Support Manager
2350 Mission College Blvd, Suite 400
Santa Clara, CA 95054
Phone: (408) 496-4500
Fax: (408) 496-6902
http://www.kerio.com/support.html

Previous Topic: PGP and KOC
Next Topic: Removing Duplicate Calendar/Contact Items
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Nov 20 14:38:01 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00505 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.