Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Control » Problem with VPN
  •  
bernr

Send a private message to this user
Hello,

I have my VPN up and running, I can log in and connect fine. Here is the problem I have, the server I want to get to is 192.168.0.163 if I can ping this IP I can even do a \\192.168.0.163 to see all the files on it here is the problem I have I can not ping file-server or use \\file-server. I have file-server in my lmhosts file and if I do a ping file-server it resolves to 192.168.0.163 put will not ping nor can I get to the files. I have no IP conflicts at home as I have NO private IPs all my IPs and Gateways are public ip addresses.

Any Ideas?
Bern
  •  
winkelman

Does your KWF Traffic Policy allow traffic between the VPN adapters and the server you're trying to reach?

In effect the VPN Server presents itself as just another (virtual) network adapter and as such you have to make rules to allow traffic to/from this adapter to other parts of your network.
  •  
bernr

Yes it allows traffic, if I use the direct IP then it works perfectly, I can ping any IP and connect to shares etc on any IP I want, it is only when I try to use the friendly name that it does not work. EX 192.168.0.163 is the file server at the office, if I use the IP then great but if I use file-server (the name) it resolves to 192.168.0.163 but it will not ping it or connect to any shares.

Bern

[Updated on: Thu, 25 August 2005 23:32]

•  
winkelman

I believe you can only browse by name (on other IP subnets then your own), if the DNS server you use gets updates from the DHCP server. This would be the case if the KWF is both your DHCP and DNS server (if you turn on the DNS option to look in the DHCP lease table). Another option is using a specific WINS resolution server. Or something, I do not know too much about Windows networking.
  •  
bernr

Our DNS is on the same system as Kerio and does receive updates from the DHCP, and besides all the Main systems I need to get to are reserved IPs anyways.

Bern
  •  
winkelman

It is not a matter if it's on the same system or not, I meant that it should work if KWF itself is both DHCP -as DNS server for your LAN (and not some other piece of software that may or may not be on the same physical machine).

If KWF is both DHCP and DNS server: did you turn on the DNS option to look in the DHCP lease table?

Reserved addresses or not doesn't make a difference. The only matter is: how can the DNS server know what IP address is computer with the name 'computer1' (example)? It can only know this by querying the DHCP server, it is not something that can be done 'magically'. So: it can be done if KWF is both your DNS as well as DHCP server (by turning on the above mentioned option) or it cannot be done without properly configuring some other network naming scheme/server.
  •  
bernr

I understand how DHCP and DNS works. I am getting the IP address from the friendly name, I have placed the Friendly name in LMHOST and it is also in the DNS at work where I am connecting into with the VPN. The problem is when I ping the fiendly name it shows the correct IP but never pings it, but if I ping the IP directly it works. Am I missing something? From what I can see everything should be working if it is getting the IP from the friendly name.

Bern
  •  
winkelman

Ah, Ok.

So name resulotion works, put ping doesn't. Is ICMP traffic allowed (service called 'ping' in KWF). Ping is just a service (like all others) that needs a Traffic Policy to work...
  •  
bernr

Yes ping is allowed, like I said if I ping the straight IP it works perfectlly or if I click start|run type in \\192.168.0.163 it brings up the shared folders and I can access them perfectly it is only when I try to do a ping file-server or start|run and type in \\file-server that nothing works even though it is getting the correct IP address. It is almost like it does not know to go across the VPN if I use the name instead of the IP

Bern
  •  
winkelman

If ping directly to the IP address works AND the domain domain resolves correctly to the proper IP address then all should work.

This puzzles me, I am sorry, I do not have any further suggestions Rolling Eyes

Let me just say it works properly for me, so it is not a 'all over' bug with Kerio (latest server and VPN Client versions).
Previous Topic: Problem with Http block policy
Next Topic: HELP!! VPN gaming on KWF
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Nov 19 20:58:58 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00554 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.