Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Mailserver.exe using increasing amounts of memory
  •  
tekfal23

Send a private message to this user
Is anyone else having a problem with Mailserver.exe using up increasing amounts of memory? I have my server rebooting every morning at 4:00 A.M., and throughout the day the amount of Mem Usage in the Task Manager increases dramatically. This can't be good. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm on 6.0.1.0.
  •  
sedell

I've noticed this right after a reboot, but it does level off. Immediately after a server reboot, or even a service restart, it seems to use a relatively small amount of memory. As more and more connections start coming in, memory usage goes up during the day, but it eventually levels off at around 150-160MB.

If you don't reboot the server for a few days, does memory usage level off, or keep climbing?

Scott
  •  
tekfal23

To be honest, it appears that it would keep climbing until it runs out of memory. I'd have to access it remotely late at night to see what it does.
  •  
Kerio_jthomas

If you haven't already opened a ticket on this, please do so.

It would be very useful in that ticket to know:

* Your environment, number of users, clients, daily operations.

If you are on Windows, download the userdump.exe program from: http://download.kerio.com/dwn/utils/userdump.exe, and use this to create a crashdump of the process when it is far larger than normal - it does not have to be right before it crashes, just when really big.

If on OS X or Linux, you can do the same by 'kill -SEGV'; a core file will be created.

We will send you FTP info in your ticket, you'll need to FTP the core to us; then we can analyze it and determine what the problem is.

Cheers,
Joshua

Joshua Thomas
Technical Support Manager
2350 Mission College Blvd, Suite 400
Santa Clara, CA 95054
Phone: (408) 496-4500
Fax: (408) 496-6902
http://www.kerio.com/support.html

•  
tekfal23

Actually, the server never crashes, it just keeps using more memory. For example, it might be at 100,000 right now, in an hour it will be like 145,000. It will increase steadily.
  •  
winkelman

What is strange:
I got two times the "Kerio Mailserver crash reporting wizard" (the second time 5 minutes ago). It states that the mailserver has crashed and wants to upload a crash report. Fine. Strange is, the server is working like a charm. As far as I can see, nothing crashed. No reports from users, all fine.

And the service had not restarted itself, because the statistics page was still saying it showed statistics for 13 days.

It seems related to memory problems, but memory usage is not steadily increasing here. Over here (30 webmail users and 3 KOC) the mailserver RAM goes to about 150-175Mb fairly quickly and stays there. Before the supposedly crash it was running for 13 days and at 180Mb RAM usage (KMS 6.1.0). Fine to me.
  •  
Kenneth Whittaker (Kerio)

Actually, I recently worked on a memory leak issue in Windows. Apparently, in the crashdump it looked like the old 6.0.10 spamassassin.dll was being used.

Recommendation: Remove the C:/Program files/Kerio/Mailserver/spamassassin folder, then do a repair-install of KMS.

Another reason people report memory usage problems in Windows is because they have customized their spamassassin rules. We are very careful about which spamassassin rules are released with KMS, and for good reason. An untested spamassassin rule can cause memory problems that can only be fixed by removing the untested rules.

Finally, memory problems can just be perception. If KMS is using 200MB of memory, then this is just fine. If you have hundreds of webmail users, then you could be into several hundreds of MB in use. This is fine also. Is Windows crashing? If so, I recommend the first step I mentioned above.

Thanks,
Ken
Previous Topic: KMS / KOC Bug - mail_folder.cpp: Index error in folder notes: Cannot get message 0000002d
Next Topic: KMS Bug - mail_avir.cpp: Cannot open work file C:\Program Files\Kerio\MailServer\store/tmp/43200ddd-
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Nov 20 04:58:42 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00477 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.