Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Flush DNS Cache
  •  
sonofcolin

Send a private message to this user
Is it possible to flush DNS cache for MX records that have been cached by KMS? Can't seem to find this function anywhere.
  •  
peterj

Are you sure KMS caches this information??

I would imagine that KMS does a lookup every time and that it may just use the O/S cache....?

•  
sonofcolin

I'm sure as under stats it says:
DNS resolver statistics:
Total number of MX record queries cached = xx

I know that a mailserver that we send to has changed DNS and our mailserver keeps sending to the old MX record, which bounces back all of our messages. Flushing the cache should clear this.
  •  
sedell

I have submitted this to Kerio Support in the past. There is no way to clear the cache. It's been filed as a feature request.

I have been told that records are cached for one hour by KMS. If you're not in a rush, you could wait the hour. Otherwise, the only other way is to restart the Kerio service.

Scott
  •  
sonofcolin

1 hour? This has been on going for 2 weeks!

I know it's a cache problem as the other mailserver logs show that our mailserver is sending to the old MX record.
  •  
sedell

I was surprised by the one hour response myself. It seems to be much longer... at least for bad records. I've never spent the time to verify a good record in the cache - too much work. Bad records seem to stick around forever though.

Have you tried flushing your machine's DNS cache, and your DNS server (if you use your own). Unfortunately, other than that, a restart of the KMS service is required.

Scott
  •  
peterj

use the debugging...

send an email to a domain with the dns debugging on and it watch it do a query.

then send another - it will use the cache

then wait an hour and five minutes and it should do the query again...!

I'd be interested to see the results...
  •  
sonofcolin

Stop and start of KMS seemed to fix it. Just tried a test message and it went through ok.

I would like to know what the official line from Kerio is regarding this. Are queries cached for 1 hour or not?

Thanks for all the suggestions. Peterj, I got your message too late to try your suggestion. I think that would have been conclusive.
  •  
Kerio_jthomas

Yes, DNS records are cached for the greater value of:

1) TTL set on the record
2) 1 hour

As noted by Scott, we have an open suggestion on this.

Cheers,
Joshua

Joshua Thomas
Technical Support Manager
2350 Mission College Blvd, Suite 400
Santa Clara, CA 95054
Phone: (408) 496-4500
Fax: (408) 496-6902
http://www.kerio.com/support.html

•  
bperkins

I have an email that has been stuck in my queue for two days now. I've turned on SMTP logging and DNS logging to try to see what's going on. The only entry I get is this:

[26/Jan/2006 14:39:55][25633] {dns} Searching cache for MX records for host somehost.com
[26/Jan/2006 14:39:55][25633] {dns} Searching cache for A records for host somehost.com

It doesn't say anything about finding it in the cache or polling the DNS servers to find it. Using the same DNS servers as my mailserver, I can ping the recipient mailserver just fine. I absolutely hate restarting the mailserver, but is this the only option as of KMS 6.1.2?

Thanks,
Brian
  •  
cohcon

Just because it's habit for me, from the mailserver cmd line can you run "nslookup -q=mx <somehost.com>" and get valid results?

It may help rule out something weird with the dns.

•  
bperkins

yep, I forgot to mention the server in question does have an A record, but no MX record. From the command line on the server itself, it will find the A record just fine.

I guess I'll need to restart KMS tonight to flush the cache.....AAARRRGGG.

Thanks for the help cohcon!
  •  
cohcon

No problem, glad to help.

Conn

Previous Topic: Upgrade from WinRoute Pro version 4.2.3
Next Topic: Junk Mail Folder
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Nov 19 13:36:30 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00503 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.