Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Mail group
  •  
ddavis

Send a private message to this user
How can my users create mail groups? For example, a user wants to use a group name like Accounting that if the group name is used to send an email, everyone that's in the Accounting group will get the email. Can this be done and how? If it can be done, can it be done in webmail?

Thanks!
  •  
sedell

I don't think so. It doesn't look like the webmail supports distribution lists. If you create one in Outlook, and open it in webmail, it shows as a blank contact card.

Scott
  •  
peterj

You could give the user(s) access to the webadmin interface. It is fairly easy to use and they are unlikely to do damage.

I have delegated some of this sort of stuff to users using the webadmin...

????
  •  
tedxas

If your distribution list is fairly static, simply create a mailing list named "Accounting."

Then, set the Subscription tab to "DENIED".....so that outsiders can't subscribe to the list.

Under Posting, select the following:

Member can post a message: ALLOWED
Non-member can post a message: DENIED
Moderator can post a message: ALLOWED

On your Moderators list, put in everyone that is allowed to send an email to Accounting.....even if they aren't in that department.

Then, on the Members list, only put in your accounting folks.

We use this in our organization to allow the entire staff to mass-email specific departments while disallowing the outside world from being able to spam those addresses.

Now, let's assume you have 6 different departments but you allow your entire staff to be able to mass-email any of those departments. In theory, you would have to update the Moderators tab for each of those six lists every time someone joins or leaves the staff. To get around this, we pulled out a link to each of the six lists onto the server desktop....and one more list that has all our staff members in it. After editing our "all staff" list, we invoke a batch file that copies it to each individual mailing list directory, overwriting the "moderators" file.

By doing this, we can use a text editor to manage any of the department lists (those who receive the email)....while mass-distributing the list of senders across all the lists.

Here's a sample of the batch file:

copy /y all_staff.txt "D:\Program Files\Kerio\MailServer\store\lists\yourdomain.com\allstaff\m embers "
copy /y all_staff.txt "D:\Program Files\Kerio\MailServer\store\lists\yourdomain.com\allstaff\m oderators "

copy /y finance_staff.txt "D:\Program Files\Kerio\MailServer\store\lists\yourdomain.com\finance\me mbers "
copy /y allstaff_staff.txt "D:\Program Files\Kerio\MailServer\store\lists\yourdomain.com\finance\mo derators "

copy /y security_staff.txt "D:\Program Files\Kerio\MailServer\store\lists\yourdomain.com\security\m embers "
copy /y all_staff.txt "D:\Program Files\Kerio\MailServer\store\lists\yourdomain.com\security\m oderators "

Hope this helps!

Ted
  •  
tedxas

By the way......after creating these distribution lists, simply add them to your "Public Folders - Contacts" so that everyone can see them.....and then you're good-to-go.
  •  
rjben

Whether this will stand the test of time is tentative....

To make a personal mailer in your contacts, do the following:
1. Click on Contacts.
2. Select New Contact.
3. On the General tab... Give your mailer a first name and last name. (i.e. English Department)
4. In the Internet (E-mail) window, type your email addresses with commas separating them. I don't know if there is a limit on the # you can insert. I noticed a dropdown that says E-mail, E-mail 2, and E-mail 3 which leads me to believe there is a limit to the number each field will hold.
5. After completing your email list, Save and Close.
6. To use mailer, click on Contacts again.
7. Find English Department. If you click on the email addresses listed in that mailer, it creates a new email message with all the names entered listed.

I've tested this and it works....

I would like to know if there is a limit to the number of email addresses allowed and how to use the E-mail, E-mail 2, and E-mail 3 correctly. HELP?????

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn." Alvin Toffler
  •  
winkelman

I used this trick also. But of course, we're misusing Contacts in this way. E-mail 1, 2 and 3 are just there to store multiple email addresses of one single individual. This way, you can choose where to sent your message. Putting more email addresses in one field would sent the message to all these addresses. Which is, of course, why we can misuse this to our advantage for distribution list functionality. It's just a little hard to manage these 'lists', cause you can't see very well whose on it. (Easiest way uis to copy/paste this field to Word, edit it there, and then copy/paste it back.)

So we're just limited in the number of characters an email field can store. Maybe this is unlimited? Maybe not... depends on the developers. I doubt it is unlimited, though it can certainly take a lot (I've put in 50 addresses or so, including 'nice' names, so that would be at least 1500 characters).

It's a workaround, but it works... Proper Distribution Lists in Webmail would be a blessing though...
  •  
rjben

Thanks, Winkleman!!! I'm all for MISusing if it works!

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn." Alvin Toffler
Previous Topic: Corrupted items in outlook
Next Topic: Anyone else having problems with KMS 6.1.0 Patch 2 crashing sporadically?
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Nov 22 17:46:32 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00421 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.