Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Control » kwfw with skype
  •  
wgalafassijr

Send a private message to this user
can someone have implemented kwfw in a network with skype utilization? it's necessary to do especific configurations to improve skype performance and perfect conversation?

thanks
wilson
  •  
FRiC

For best Skype performance, you need to allow all outgoing ports, and map an incoming port to the computer running Skype that matches the incoming connections port in Skype's settings.

We have about 10 systems running Skype in a LAN of about 30 over a 512K ADSL line. We use both Skype-to-Skype and SkypeOut. Never had any complaints.
  •  
Anonymous
Our experience was that the Skype service created over 500 connections through the firewall, going all around the world! That was from just one user. Whilst the Skype service was on, internet browsing became very slow for all the LAN users.

Could I ask if your ADSL connection has a fixed public IP? Ours does and I wondered if Skype took more advantage of such networks?

Otherwise, does anyone else have experience of running/testing Skype....

Is it safe?
Assuming our network was becoming a 'super node', how to avoid that to protect bandwidth?
  •  
FRiC

The 500 connection problem only happens for me if the Internet connection is down, then skype keeps on opening ports and retrying. In actual use, it never opens more than 20-30 ports.

When skype is idle the opened connections don't take up any bandwidth, during talking, it takes up 5K in/out.

The IP doesn't seem to have any difference. I'm on a static IP now but it used to be dynamic IP. There was no difference.
  •  
Anonymous
I found this article... long but interesting reading
http://www.corante.com/getreal/archives/2005/05/01/skype_be_ afraid.php

It seems that your experience would indicate your system is luckily a normal user, but our system unfortunately became a supernode.

As a supernode, many blogs and web articles have reports of reduced speed wan and even lan, until the skype app is disabled.
That was our experience also... browsing the web either stopped or became too slow to use, and even connecting to shared folders on the lan suffered obvious problems.

My research suggests there is no control on whether your system becomes a supernode or not. (Skype will just do it automatically if -among other reasons- it feels you have enough bandwidth, a powerful enough machine and are in a geographical location where it needs a new supernode). Mad

So, I guess for Skype it's a try-it-and-see! If your system does not get promoted to supernode, you can enjoy an otherwise handy service. Very Happy Alternatively try www.gizmoproject.com for a voip app that can be controlled!
  •  
FRiC

Skype can't become a supernode if you block the incoming port on Winroute. Since Skype's incoming port number is randomly generated, and you have to map the corresponding port in Winroute, there's no way to become a supernode unless you specifically do so.

The analysis that everyone refers to is long outdated.
  •  
Anonymous
very interesting FRiC. I will test Skype again on our networks....
Previous Topic: Save configuration?
Next Topic: Kerio VPN help, can connect but that's all
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Thu Nov 23 08:27:57 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00418 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.