Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Webmail message shows up as garbage?
  •  
Phaethar

Send a private message to this user
Hey all,

I'm hoping that someone can provide a little insight as to why this happens. Someone in the office had a message come in today that was read through the Webmail app. The message showed up as a bunch of garbage (squares, rectangles, etc). It also took a long time for the message to show up, and it did in small secions, a couple lines at a time.

Now, the weird thing is that if I do a 'view source' on the message, it shows up just fine. The message is part MIME encoded, and it also appears to have an HTML version as well. Viewing the source will show the text of the message, as well as the code for the HTML portion. Viewing the message normally through the Webmail reader just shows garbage. Other messages from this sender, and other HTML messages in general, work just fine.

So, what would cause a message to show up like this?

I've looked through the logs, and I don't see anything that happened around the time this message came in. Although, I do have this show up multiple times per day:

[26/Sep/2005 11:13:24] Locale support for language default (default_DE.utf8) is not installed on the system: attempt to create locale from unknown name

Probably not related, but I figured I'd toss it out there, just in case.

Thanks.
  •  
Petr Dousa (Kerio)

Please open a ticket on http://support.kerio.com and provide source file of the message (copy-paste from "View source"), if it's not too confidential.

It seems that some Outlook - Exchange 2000 enviroments produce invalid charset headers in HTML messages. Real world example will help us to fix this properly.

Petr Dousa
user experience designer, Kerio
  •  
winkelman

We sometimes have here also mail being garbage, while the 'view source' seems just fine. I did notice strange charsets indeed.

Once you press forward or reply the mail is just fine (in the reply or forward window).

Since it just happens seldomly and the mail is readable (after Forward or Reply) it is not such a big issue to me.

pdousa: would this be the same issue? I could provide you with some examples if you'd like.

[Updated on: Tue, 27 September 2005 11:31]

•  
Petr Dousa (Kerio)

winkelman wrote on Tue, 27 September 2005 11:30

pdousa: would this be the same issue? I could provide you with some examples if you'd like.

Yes it seems to, the examples we have here also look OK after reply/forward. Please send me your examples to pdousa<_at_>kerio.com, more testing is always better :-) Thanks!

Petr Dousa
  •  
winkelman

Ok, I've asked my users to watch for these mails and I'll send you examples once they report back...
  •  
Petr Dousa (Kerio)

Cool.

Petr Dousa
  •  
Petr Dousa (Kerio)

We are tracking this problem as bug 11972.

Petr Dousa
  •  
winkelman

thanks Petr for your help.

Some info for the forum (this is info from Petr):
Quote:

It' actually Exchange's bug, they have conflicting charsets in the mail:

------_=_NextPart_001_01C59C3C.CFF905B1
Content-Type: text/html; charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<HTML >
<HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; =charset=3DUTF-16">

(where us-ascii is true)

Kerio has a fix that works arround this bug in Exchange, so it will be solved in some future version of KMS. They won't tell when it will be released (policy). I guess it will be in the next release (or the one after that)... but that's just guessing.

We'll wait and see. It's not too big of a problem.
Previous Topic: Kerio 6.1.0 webmail mini signature and reload problem
Next Topic: Select 'FROM-domain' when sending mail from webinterface
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Nov 24 11:57:22 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00454 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.