Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » What Linux OS Do you Like?
  •  
mdhmi

Send a private message to this user

I'm considering running Fedora 4 instead of RHE on a new KMS box I'm building. This is a Dell server with 2 CPU's and 4 GIG's of memory and 5 SCSI disks (two for the OS mirror and three for the data mirror).

Opinions on using Fedora 4 ?

Thanks,

Mark
  •  
cohcon

I prefer Redhat also, but run CENTOS. It is RHEL built from the sources.

Fedora is a little more unstable as it is designed to run more on the desktop.

Check out CENTOS. I run it on all of our HP servers. As Dell and HP both support RHEL, you can apply the same support packs for the servers.

You can get CENTOS from http://www.centos.org/

Cheers,
Conn
  •  
mdhmi

CentOS looks very interesting. I'm downloading the torrent now.

Anyone else have any experiences? Whichever OS I decide on needs to run well on a dual processor Dell with a RAID card.

Thanks again.

Mark
  •  
nickrooster

As far as distributions are concerned you obviously have many options:

For great hardware support (better than recent versions of Windows) you will want to pick a distribution with a 2.6 kernel. This should take care of your RAID card, etc. (although 2.4 is quite good with driver support as well.)

As far as software included with a distribution, if this is going to be a Kerio Mailserver box, it will need to run one of their supported distributions. When last I talked to them - they were preferring 3.

If this is just a general question, here is my advice:
1)Pick a distribution that is lightweight (like a flavor of Debian).
2)Make sure that it is rediculously easy to get new programs and updates (either thru apt for rpm or apt-get in debian).
3)Debian forces you to only install what you need. If this is a mailserver, do you really need X installed? If this is a mailserver, do you need other user-centric niceties that serve only to take up space and processor/mem time? If this is a user's box, I recommend Ubuntu (based on Debian Unstable). It is just as quick to pick up as a Windows box, and has fewer moments of frustration for a new user.

Hope you enjoy the wonderful stability and utility that is Linux!
-Nick
  •  
mdhmi

Thanks guys. I have a two other KMS boxes which run RHE. I'm just no longer interested in paying for RHE.

So far CentOS looks very strong.

Little tidbit about installing KMS on CentOS:

To take care of dependencies do the following:

# yum -y install compat-libstdc++-296 compat-libstdc++-33

Also remove the /usr/sbin/sendmail symlink and recreate it as follows:

# ln -s /opt/kerio/mailserver/sendmail .

Thanks,

Mark
Previous Topic: Webmail session timeouts
Next Topic: SPAM or KMS issue?
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Nov 21 16:38:54 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00373 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.