Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Control » POP3 timeout error
  •  
sapeco

Send a private message to this user
I'm currently trying out Kerio Winroute Firewall v5.1.8 and I'm having a problem downloading mail off POP3 servers.

My home network is comprised of only two computers: one that receives the DSL connection (and is running KWF) and another accessing the Internet through the KWF host. My problem is only on this second rig. Every time I try to download mail off a POP3 server (using MS Outlook XP; I haven't tried other clients but Outlook worked fine when I hooked the DSL line up directly to the second PC), the progress bar goes slowly to the end and then I get a timeout error. If I try to retrieve the mail again, it'll repeatedly ask me to confirm my login/password information.

Funny thing is, I run ping/telnet on the POP3 server and everything looks OK. Has anyone ever faced something like this before?
  •  
JOSEJAD

Same problem with 5.1.3 version. I think outlook don't use the iexplore settings.
  •  
JOSEJAD

Try this:
Put in the clients you'r ISP DNS
  •  
momo

Had the same problem, solved it by decreasing MTU in clients.
  •  
JOSEJAD

sorry... what are "MTU's"?
  •  
Jeff Wadlow (Kerio)

MTU is Maximum Transmission Unit. You might be experiencing packet loss. Lowering the MTU is one way of combating this. There are instructions for setting the MTU here: http://www.kerio.com/us/supp_wrp_pppoe.html
  •  
sapeco

thanks a lot for the replies and the help, guys
i'm going to tweak the mtu's and i'll post my results

one question: if i want to change the mtu on the main rig, which interface should i be tweaking? the local network card (probably not), the internet connection card or the pppoe connection interface?

thanks again

[Updated on: Wed, 04 February 2004 13:31]

•  
Jeff Wadlow (Kerio)

You would lower the MTU on the client machine. Leave the MTU on the WinRoute machine as is.
  •  
sapeco

the mtu tweak did the trick, everything is running smoothly now.

thanks a lot for the help, i was thinking this was one of those quirky, unsolvable bugs.
  •  
igormsk

I have found an other solution to solve this bug:

Have had exactly the same problem.
As I have figured out, it was the firewall on the PC behind KWF, which blocked some packets coming from KWF (when I accessed the internet from that PC directly, this kind of packets didn't arrive and there were no problems, so it's KWF who generates them).
For example, my KerioPersonalFirewall reported "SCAN nmap fingerprint attempt" and blocked them by default. They are in the medium priority section of the Intrusions module. Disabling the module or permitting Medium priority intrusions or disabling the firewall solved the problem. So I edited the ids.cfg deleting the "SCAN nmap fingerprint attempt" block from it and now everything works fine.
But before doing so, I tried several other firewalls and had the same problem with Outpost2.0/2.1, but with AtGuard everything worked fine.
Previous Topic: Multiple websites behind firewall
Next Topic: What's new in KWF6?
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Nov 20 18:30:32 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00494 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.