Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Webmail: DSN Lookup Failure
  •  
meengla

Send a private message to this user
Hi:
The KMS is running fine except that webmail is failing to the outside email addresses. I have already configured the HTTP service to use port 8383. To access webmail, I go to http://www.Modomain.com:8383 and am able to see received Emails and can also send to xyz<_at_>mydomain.com but not to xyz<_at_>yahoo.com.

Looking into Kerio's Mail Queue, I can see "DNS Lookup Failure 4.4.3. Also, in "Mail" section of KMS, I see that "Sender-Host" is my own IP Address (the home computer's) and not the webserver's IP address.

I am positive that there was no issue before but now it does not work (I mean, the webmail part). The only change I can think of is that now I have a DNS Server running to allow a few websites to run on my server. Is that what could be causing the error?

please help!!

•  
winkelman

Quote:

I have a DNS Server running to allow a few websites to run on my server

Having a few websites running and running a DNS Service are two completely seperate things... You don't need a (your own) DNS Service for websites to run properly. You just need your websites domains to be known in the public Internet DNS (which most probably does not include your own DNS Service).

But you're right: your own DNS is causing the problem. Try resolving the domain of some mails that won't go through manually on the mailserver itself (for example, ping them from a prompt). You'll see your system is not capable of resolving the domains to their IP addresses, so it doens't know where to send these outbound emails.

Solve your DNS problem (this is seperate from KMS) and your problems are solved as well.

But from your post I make up you do not know a lot about DNS, so maybe you just have to call in some expert help...

[Updated on: Thu, 06 October 2005 19:06]

•  
meengla

You are right: I don't know much about DNS. It was installed on the server by someone else who wants to transfer his own websites to the new server--the old server will be no more and it will transfer its own DNS records to the new server.

I don't know what kind of bearing running the DNS server may have on KMS. Any? I mean, why KMS was able to deliver mail to <_at_>yahoo.com before using webmail and not now?

Anyway, using Remote Desktop, when I ping mail.healingtouchforyou.com it does not work--cannot find host.

But, from my home computer, it pings fine.

Thanks.
  •  
winkelman

There is no need at all to run a DNS service if the purpose is just to run a website. DNS services for websites are not run locally, but by a domain provider. So DNS records do not have to be 'transferred' to the webserver itself, as you say.

But obviously this DNS service is messing up the working of DNS on the mail server. It is essential that domain names can be resolved to IP addresses on the system on which KMS runs. As long as you can't resolve names to IP addresses (which is basicly what DNS is for) you won't be able to send out mail.

So, as long as pinging some address does not return an IP address (as a way of testing) you're in trouble.

If I were you I would ask, no, tell the person who messed it up to fix it...

Previous Topic: Need a copy of KMS.KOC-6-0-10-T-1-0.tgz
Next Topic: Possible to auto-delete all messages from all inboxes older than 12 months?
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Thu Nov 23 08:43:38 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00394 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.