Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Serious bug in Calendar with regard to daylight saving time...
  •  
winkelman

Send a private message to this user
I ran into a fairly critical bug in webmail calendar:

Appointment times are created 1 hour later than 'requested' if the appointment falls in 'winter time' (between 30-10-2005 and 25-3-2006).

There are three problems:
  • If you change the start time, it will actually be booked in the Calendar 1 hour later.
  • If you only change the end time, this will change to 1 hour later.
  • If you change the start time and the end time, only the start time will end up 1 hour later.

In this text, by 'changing the start or end time' I do not mean changing an already created appointment. I mean changing the default value that is in the dialog box when you create a new appointment. If you create an appointment and leave the times 'as is' (for example in week and month view from 18.00 to 18.30) there is no problem.

In day view you may not notice this bug, because you create a new appointment by double-clicking the time you wish the appointment to start. Then you do not have to change the start time (already filled in correctly) and the bug only happens if you change a time. In week or month view the bug is obvious, because there you almost always have to change the time from the default 18.00 to 18.30. (Even in day view the end time will shift 1 hour if it is other then the default 0,5 hour later.)

There obviously is a problem with the daylight saving time implementation. You have to constantly check-up on the created appointments, or they will end up wrong! (And correcting them can only be achieved by dragging the start -and end times in day view. Annoying!)

Can anyone else confirm this?
(I am in The Netherlands on Central European time.)

(I am also submitting a ticket on this...)
  •  
winkelman

Oh yes:
I am on KMS 6.1.0 without patches.

(Patch 6 really destabilized our webmail, so I went promptly back to 6.1.0 as originally released. I am very reluctant to keep on patching/updating KMS and running into all sorts of trouble. Therefor I am not upgrading/patching in the near future, unless I hear my patch 6 problems are solved. Rebooting KMS 3 times a day is worse than this calendar bug.)

[Updated on: Mon, 10 October 2005 19:23]

•  
Kerio_jthomas

This is bug 11295, and is being worked on.

Symptoms: Event which takes place after DST (summer time) change is saved inproperly by one hour and/or one day if time selection combo box was used. Example: event is edited Oct 1st and takes place Oct 30 (DST changes Oct 29 in Prague). Shifting by one day depends on time zones, e.g. in Prague it happens only for event after 10:00 PM.

Workaround:
- Always check carefully if event day/time is correct after saving
- If not, go to day view and change start/end time by drag 'n'drop, not by opening the event

Joshua Thomas
Technical Support Manager
2350 Mission College Blvd, Suite 400
Santa Clara, CA 95054
Phone: (408) 496-4500
Fax: (408) 496-6902
http://www.kerio.com/support.html

•  
winkelman

Joshua, thanks for confirming.

I will tell my users to carefully check the appointments they make. (This will not improve their [and my] confidence in the software... to put it mildly.)

I do wonder how a product could be released with such a big issue. I say ‘released’, because I assume a big issue like this comes up during testing. I understand there are peculiarities with time zones, daylight saving, etc., but that's precisely why (when you're working on such things as a programmer) the least you can do is check to see if appointments are created on time (seems essential to me) throughout time zones and daylight saving periods... I cannot imagine an issue like this gets you by surprise after release.

I do not mind bugs in programs, that's part of the game. But a bug like this makes me uneasy...

(OK, now I've spilled my guts: cary on fixing the software :-)
  •  
gmsmith

Any progress on this? While I appreciate the work around, it isn't a long term solution and most of my folks are now scheduling past Oct 30.

Greg
  •  
winkelman

I think the solution won't come before 31 October and after this date I think the problem (in the short run) will go away.

As long as you are booking appointments in the same period as the present date (summer or winter time) all is fine. It only goes wrong if your for example book in wintertime while it currently is still summertime.

So I think after 31 October, bookings made after 26 March 2006 will shift one hour.

Still, this is a major bug and I will be VERY surprises (and a bit upset) if this is not fixed in the very next version of KMS that gets released...
  •  
gmsmith

But seriously at this point, who isn't booking 2 weeks out...

Very frustrating.
  •  
winkelman

gmsmith wrote on Tue, 18 October 2005 22:01

Very frustrating.

Indeed...

I hear 6.1.1 is out "soon", so let's hope that fixes the problem (and does not introduce other problems, like why I can't use patch 6).
  •  
gmsmith

winkelman wrote on Wed, 19 October 2005 13:08

I hear 6.1.1 is out "soon", so let's hope that fixes the problem (and does not introduce other problems, like why I can't use patch 6).

Yes, so we can see what other surprises are ready to smack us in the face.

I have to say, I was very excited about Kerio. But every single ticket I have put in since 6.1 was released has gotten: we are working on it as a response. Well with the exception of the one was so far off base with the response it was comical.

So far my critical list is:

1) Entourage SP2 issue - critical as there is no way back once a user upgrades to SP2 (since it modified the local mail database).

2) Time issues post Oct 30 - granted would have been difficult to find in testing, but a comprehensive test plan should have caught it. It has been reported now for more then three weeks with no response besides "we are working on it"

3) Blank emails - been an issue since 6.08 but the only response you get back is rebuild the index...besides it not working, no one is able to explain WHY we are getting the messages.
  •  
winkelman

gmsmith wrote on Mon, 24 October 2005 02:46

3) Blank emails - been an issue since 6.08 but the only response you get back is rebuild the index...besides it not working, no one is able to explain WHY we are getting the messages.

Blank emails could be another issue. There are certain messages from Exchange Servers that contain conflicting 'charsets'. The one specified in the mail headers differs from the one specified in the HTML part of the message. A message like this shows up garbled or empty, but is readable after a 'reply' or 'forward'. In a near future version of KMS these erroneous mails will show up nornmally, so support tells me.

But there are other messages that show up empty. I send copies of the source of these messages to support (and they appreciate that). There are some bugs in webmail, causing some messages to not display.

You say reindexing helps?
  •  
winkelman

Kerio_jthomas wrote on Mon, 10 October 2005 20:13

This is bug 11295, and is being worked on.

Symptoms: Event which takes place after DST (summer time) change is saved inproperly by one hour and/or one day if time selection combo box was used. Example: event is edited Oct 1st and takes place Oct 30 (DST changes Oct 29 in Prague). Shifting by one day depends on time zones, e.g. in Prague it happens only for event after 10:00 PM.

As far as my testing can tell this bug (11295) is fixed in release 6.1.1. However, it does not appear in the list of features/fixes.

As this is/was a fairly critical issue, I had my users double-check the appointments they entered (not very nice...). Can I tell them not to bother with double-checking anymore? Is this bug really fixed?
  •  
Kerio_jthomas

winkelman wrote on Mon, 31 October 2005 10:28

As far as my testing can tell this bug (11295) is fixed in release 6.1.1. However, it does not appear in the list of features/fixes.

As this is/was a fairly critical issue, I had my users double-check the appointments they entered (not very nice...). Can I tell them not to bother with double-checking anymore? Is this bug really fixed?

No, this is not fixed in 6.1.1. This is however one of our most important bugs, and we've waived our normal policy on it. I can tell you that we expect to have it fixed in 6.1.2.

The issue is DST related, so you are seeing it 'fixed' because DST change has happened and the timeframe is now past.

This would be an issue again when DST change happens again, but it will certainly be fixed long before then Smile

-Joshua

Joshua Thomas
Santa Clara, CA 95054

•  
winkelman

Hey Joshua! Thanks for your information.

Quote:

you are seeing it 'fixed' because DST change has happened and the timeframe is now past

Well, the strange thing then is that I also did test it before the weekend (when we where still in summer time) and I could not reproduce the error of 6.1.0 in 6.1.1.

Moreover, when I now make appointments after 25 March 2006, it still works okay, even though there is another DST change on 25 March 2006. It would expect those appointments to shift an hour backwards if the problem still existed.

To me the updated seems to have fixed this. I must me going mad! %-)
  •  
Kerio_jthomas

Some other changes were made in 6.1.1 for date/time. Maybe this fixed it for you; the developers don't think it is completely fixed yet, however.

Joshua Thomas
Santa Clara, CA 95054

Previous Topic: Change effect of reaching quota?
Next Topic: 6.1 nested attachments
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Thu Nov 23 14:04:56 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00493 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.