Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Save your PSTs
  •  
sedell

Send a private message to this user
Don't get rid of any PSTs you might have. I never noticed it before, but I just found out that KOC strips headers from messages when moved from a PST to a Kerio Mail Store. This INCLUDES RECEIVED HEADERS.

What are they thinking. There is no way to track these messages now. Don't bother importing mail unless you plan on keeping all of the originals handy so you can see THE COMPLETE MESSAGE. Tampering with e-mail headers ought to be against the law - even if it's not with the intention to misdirect the receiver.

Scott
  •  
peterj

We have also had strange issues when transferring/importing to or from PST files.

I thought this was a bug that was listed as fixed.

We had problems where the internet headers were lost and the dates were changed or lost on the emails.

I assume this is the same issue as you have..?

We have sometimes found that importing via IMAP rather than the KOC saves the dates & headers from being lost, although recently we have noticed that this method converted all emails to plan text & loses HTML content!

Can anyone comment on the best way to get mail from PST's into KMS without losing (much) data..?
  •  
Kerio_jthomas

According to our developers, this does not work even with an pure IMAP account - this is no fault of KOC. There is no way to make this work because of the design of Outlook - eg. we CAN NOT do what you ask.

Technical explaination:

PST (Personal Folders) is a MAPI message store, it does not know anything about some eml file format (i.e. _transport_ format for SMTP). So some parts of eml may not have any meaning in MAPI and such parts are not stored. This is by design. (Of MAPI, not KOC).

Joshua Thomas
Technical Support Manager
2350 Mission College Blvd, Suite 400
Santa Clara, CA 95054
Phone: (408) 496-4500
Fax: (408) 496-6902
http://www.kerio.com/support.html

•  
sedell

The problem is, with no Received headers, there's no way to accurately date the message. KMS uses file dates which are not reliable... as anyone who's had to reindex folders knows.

Scott
  •  
Kerio_jthomas

If you use the 'Archive' feature, it appears headers are preserved correctly. I archived a folder, then reimported the archive PST. Headers were correct.

Joshua Thomas
Santa Clara, CA 95054

•  
sedell

Too late for that. We were told in the beginning to just open up the PST and drag the mail over to bring mail in since there was a lack of a migration tool.

Scott
  •  
Kerio_jthomas

Update: We will clarify this in our manual and other sources.

Joshua Thomas
Santa Clara, CA 95054

Previous Topic: Integrated Backup
Next Topic: Quota Checking in Outlook2000
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Nov 20 16:38:25 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00450 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.