Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » The winmail.dat Problem
  •  
Headsprout

Send a private message to this user
I am curious what other Kerio Mailserver users are doing to mitigate the winmail.dat problem. For us it is starting to become a huge issue, and one which will force us back to M$ Exchange if something doesn't give soon.

I understand that the problem originates with M$ not playing by the rules, so to speak, and that the root of the problem lies in Outlook's TNEF formatting, but that doesn't help me any. The response so far has been that I should ask the people in my company to change their email format to something other than RTF in Outlook. Lately, even the people that are not using RTF are starting to use HTML in their signatures, which also generates a winmail.dat attachment. So now, myself, as well as any other non-outlook user in the company (including the CEO) is receiveing a winmail.dat attachment with almost every email they recieve. A constant reminder to them that something "is not right" with our email.

Asking them all to change to plain text formatting is simply not realistic. Not only that, we can only control our own email formats. Any potential client that sends us an attachment from outlook could end up sending a winmail.dat to us and what are we supposed to tell them?

Poking around the web I have come across a few pages that talk about this problem, and this is a good one here:

http://www.york.ac.uk/depts/biol/itsupport/eweb/e-mail/winma il.htm

In fact there is more than one person who has written decoders for winmail.dat attachments. So why cannot Kerio do something similar for the mailserver? I am curious what other Kerio users are doing. I am also curious if anyone has found a good alternative to Kerio/Exchange that handles this issue adequately. Feel free to email me directly at robert at headsprout * com. Thanks!
  •  
j.turley

You beat me to it. We are starting to get large numbers of these attachements from Outlook users and was also wondering if Kerio could build something into the mail server to get around this problem.

There are other mail servers on the market that do the conversion on the fly but for the life of me I can't remember which? Gordano maybe?

Maybe this could be added to the wish list?

Jason...
  •  
Kerio_jthomas

> So why cannot Kerio do something similar for the mailserver?

We're working on a decoder. You didn't hear it from me. Wink

Joshua Thomas
Technical Support Manager
2350 Mission College Blvd, Suite 400
Santa Clara, CA 95054
Phone: (408) 496-4500
Fax: (408) 496-6902
http://www.kerio.com/support.html

•  
Headsprout

This is the best news I have heard in a long time. The question now becomes: will it be done before either:

A. my boss insists on going back to exchange, or
B. I lose my job over this issue.

What the ETA for it? Thanks!
  •  
winkelman

I must say I never encountered this issue. Our company is using webmail only (KMS 6.1.0). Two people use Outlook with KOC, and I configured Outlook to apply HTML formatting.

So when would you get such an winmail.dat attachement? If someone outside of our company uses Outlook in RTF-mode and sends a message to us? I'm sure this happens all the time, yet I've never seen a winmail.dat attachement here (and neither did a user report this).
  •  
HidS

Yup, I have exactly the same problem.

I see where the problem lies (ie MS doing something weird) but my users and my bosses don't really care what the problem is, they just want it fixed.

The sooner it's 'fixed', the better cos as the other guy said, it's either we get exchange or i get fired... whichever comes first.

Honestly, it's obvious why MS are so popular. You never get sacked for putting in MS products. You try and save the company 1000s of pounds using Some Alternative Product and it's hardly worth the effort.

Also, is this truly the fastest KOC can be (i'm using patch 8)? I mean, it works mostly but it's damn slow. Scrolling thru emails is like going thru treacle. One page at a time.. as for deleting folders, that takes minutes. When you move large blocks of mail, that equally takes yonks IF it works ok. It's prolly fantastic if you only have 10 emails a day.

Thank god webmail works ok (in SLOW mode cos FAST mode is so slow it's basically unuseable even on a gigabit LAN).
  •  
winkelman

Quote:

Thank god webmail works ok (in SLOW mode cos FAST mode is so slow it's basically unuseable even on a gigabit LAN).

Over here webmail (the full featured on) is quite speedy IF you have a rather fast machine (let's say 1,5Ghz and up). The faster the PC, the better.

It is also fast over a 4Mbit Internet connection, so to me it seems the bandwith to the KMS is not the bottleneck.

If you look at task manager (of the webmail machine) while handling webmail, you'll see it's quite a CPU intensive 'website'.
  •  
Lyle M

Our solution to the problem was to create a deny attachment filter for winmail.dat. We use the "Send a warning to sender that the attahcment was not delivered," option. The e-mail is delivered sans attachment and both sender and recipient receive an alert to that fact. It's not perfect, but we're winmail.dat prejudiced and show little mercy.

What we would really like is the option to create custom auto-replies based on the attachemnt. When a winmail.dat is present, the auto-reply would point the sender to a web page with instructions on how to avoid sending winmail.dat files to the rest of the world. I think there's a way for an Exchange admin to set this globally on the server - but don't quote me on that.

Of course, the built-in decoder sounds much nicer. Glad to hear the rumor from an unknown source that it might be in the works.

Cheers,
Lyle Millander
  •  
Headsprout

Any updates on this? I am counting the days until this decoder is ready. Thanks.
  •  
Headsprout

I see that a new version of the Mailserver was released today. Does the new release address the winmail.dat problem in some way? I looked through the release history and didn't see any mention of it.
  •  
Kerio_jthomas

> I see that a new version of the Mailserver was released today. Does the new release address the winmail.dat problem in some way? I looked through the release history and didn't see any mention of it.

No, not in this release.

Joshua Thomas
Technical Support Manager
2350 Mission College Blvd, Suite 400
Santa Clara, CA 95054
Phone: (408) 496-4500
Fax: (408) 496-6902
http://www.kerio.com/support.html

•  
Headsprout

I see that a patch for the Mailserver was released today. Does the new patch address the winmail.dat problem in some way? I looked through the release history and didn't see any mention of it. Thanks.
  •  
Kerio_ktrumbull

The 6.1.1 patch 1 release does not address that issue.

Kevin Trumbull
Kerio Technical Support Team Leader
http://support.kerio.com
  •  
ttangye

We are using only webmail. We noticed that in Webmail, when we receive a message containing a winmail.dat attachment, the email shows an attachment flag (paper clip) but webmail does not show a link to the attachment, so you cannot access it. By research we discovered that if you rename the attachment name to something else in the eml file, then the link will appear in webmail. In order to view the winmail.dat attachment (on MS Windows) check out freeware program WMViewer from AkeeSoft.
vijayadi

What was the solution to fix this issue? I also downloaded one thier old version and having the same issue.
Previous Topic: Anyone using 6.4.0 Blackberry support yet?
Next Topic: The server response was: 5.7.0 Authentication failed
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Thu Nov 23 14:11:35 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00530 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.