Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » You've got mail
  •  
craigg75

Send a private message to this user
One of things I miss most about using Desknow is when new mail arrived in their webmail they made a bell ring wav file play. Is there a way to add this to Kerio's webmail?
  •  
Lyle M

A bouncing dock icon (os x) and/or a pop-up dialog might be handy too.

About 5 of the 15 users we migrated to webmail asked for some sort of notification mechanism.

Cheers.
  •  
sedell

There are any number of freebie ones out there.

Scott
  •  
Lyle M

Yeah, but I'm way too lazy to deploy them. :-)

[Updated on: Fri, 21 October 2005 01:53]

•  
craigg75

Freebies? Where? How do you fit something like that it?
  •  
winkelman

These POP3 'new mail' notifiers are not that usefull in a company like ours, where not everyone has it's own fixed computer (so configuring the POP3 notifiers is not very handy).

It would be really great if 'new mail notification' was built in Webmail itself. Should not be too hard, since appointment notification is already there.

But, as it is, it not a feature of webmail :-(
  •  
little_peet

Nope hope this will be build in soon also, since it isn't that hard.

If the webclient wasn't encrypted with safe guard i probably had build it in myself.
its just one line of javascript on the current email nottification. they adjust the number of new mails in the tree view, so openening a new window there would be enough.
  •  
maxivad

What I'd like to see is a little app that sits in the task tray (or other) and just listens. It has some flag in it that details who uses this computer and as new email arrives on the mail server, it sends out a message to the computers on the network notifying each respective computer that a user of that system has mail waiting. If the user clicks the popup box and they are signed in, it takes them to their webmail, or if they are not logged in, it takes them to the login page.

Yes, I know there are free pop3 monitors, but in a company that has many computers and/or users, it's a pain that each one is contantly pinging the server to see if there's new email, a waste of bandwith and processing power. So instead, the server sends out a notification when the mail has arrived for a particular user.

Now for anyone familiar with Trillian, it is a perfect example, and even yahoo has the feature built in. They are primarily an IM utility, however when an email arrives in my yahoo mailbox, yahoo sends a ping to my IM and says 'Hey, you have 36 mails, and 5 are unread.' The bonus of this is I am not making unnecessary requests to yahoo to see if I have any email, they are telling me when it arrives.

1) It's much faster, especially if running to a mailserver elsewhere on the internet!
2) It reduces the amount of traffic by checking multiple mailboxes constantly
3) The little client app could also play that sound or a wave (mp3) file that says 'You've got mail!'

Anyway, it's just an idea. It wouldn't be too hard to implement.
  •  
sedell

The big difference though, is you're logged into Yahoo to use their IM... hence you have a connection to their system. It may not be a direct connection to the mail server, but you are still connected to the Yahoo system. So, you're logged in, Yahoo knows to monitor your mail, and where to send the notification if new mail arrives.

Scott
  •  
maxivad

Scott, yes that's true, and something I hadn't considered. But in essence, when you're logged into webmail, you are also logged into the server (yes, I know not in the same capacity, but still, a connection exists)

Anyway, it would be a nice touch (me thinks)

I have had a quick look around and I am probably going to write my own app to take care f it. Pretty simple really. I'll setup a couple of watched folders and just wait for mail to arrive, the app can check the file, determine the recipient, and if their user logon is on then popup a trillian style message at the bottom of the screen which fades out after 5-10 seconds. If the user see's it, it will take them to their webmail login.

Like I say, not a hard task, but would be much easier from within the mailserver development without having to provide a system hack.
  •  
sedell

Quote:

But in essence, when you're logged into webmail, you are also logged into the server

But you stated they're not logged in.
Quote:

If the user see's it, it will take them to their webmail login.

Scott
  •  
maxivad

sedell wrote on Thu, 03 November 2005 05:09

But you stated they're not logged in.

Semantics.

Ok, pick at the idea (or my post) all you want, I am trying to hedge all bets here.

In a perfect world there would be a service or at least a system task running in the tray just waiting for the mail server to send out it's broadcast of messages. So no, not really. This little app itself isn't logged into the server. The server connects to it because when the app starts up (and shuts down) it sends a signal to the server saying "Hey I'm here, let me know when there's email" The server tracks who's logged in and when they get email it sends out a message to that app (I spose you could say the server would make the connection). If it turns out the server get's no responce, then it's removed from the notification part of the code (cause it obviously crashed). Otherwise, when the app is shutdown, it just sends a message that says "I'm outta here, Ciao!"

As I said above, if noone wants to take this on board, I'll develope my own little app to do it for me. But it would be much easier for the server to implement it, rather than me designing a whole applications to monitor Kerio server AND the clients as well.

So, I think I've explained myself reasonably well here. Do you have anything constructive to offer, or just after the quick post reply?[/vent]
  •  
sedell

I'm just wondering what you intended. You said you wanted it to notify people when there's mail and take them to log in, but then you said if they're logged in there's already a connection. On one hand, it sounds like you want a pop-up notification from webmail while people are logged in. On the other hand, it sounds like you want a separate utility to monitor and notify when there's mail. One sounds like a pop-mail notification utility, which are widely available, the other sounds like a modification to webmail.

Now that you've clarified...

How would you get the server to contact the correct person when mail arrived. Would you do a flat out network broadcast? Here's a thought... are you running on Windows? You could possibly use the Windows messenger service. If you know the user's network login, you could do something like a 'net send <username>' to get them the message. I don't think you could have a link to webmail in that though.

Scott
  •  
sedell

Doh. I missed the part where you said the systray app would contact the server to notifiy it that it's available.

Scott
maxivad

No problems, look, I know I'm a lazy so-and-so, but as a coder, I like to make things as efficiently as possible. Or at least talk about them and see what compromises can be made in the process.

I did also say 'in essence' because what people have with trillian and yahoo (and the like) is not exactly what I'm after, although it is pretty close. At one company I work for, they are using Lotus notes, which has a similar feature, but a crappy interface.

Anyway, I might just let this swealter around for a while and see if someone has any ideas on how to implement this. I read somewhere how someone was saying the http(s) side of webmail is an integral part of the mail server and inseperable. Well, in fact, that's not entirely true. It's inseperable in as far as Kerio is concerned, but it really is as simple as setting up a watched folder on the mail store directory and then designing your own web mail interface (but really, why reinvent the wheel!)

The email files are just text files after all. I have plenty of ideas, but I am only a trial user at this point in time. Haven't committed to purchasing the product (hence comments here and not with tech support) and so I dont really want to spend the time developing the product without the security of knowing I'll be purchasing the product.

Just playing it cautions.
Previous Topic: KMS from windows to linux [URGENT]
Next Topic: Problems setting up webmail
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Nov 22 10:32:26 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00523 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.