Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » clamav
  •  
halma

Send a private message to this user
Will there be an clamav plugin?

Greetings,

Arjen Halma
  •  
RPC_Admin

I would love to see that as well.
  •  
sonofcolin

Me too. I put in a feature request for this a long time ago, but I doubt that it will ever be implemented.
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

Don't you like existing set of supported anti-viruses?
Why is ClamAV better for you than others?
  •  
sonofcolin

ClamAV is "free"
With no Windows machines on our network, it really isn't much of an issue to have anti-virus software with KMS. However, it would be nice to have an option on OS X that isn't ridiculously expensive (SAVI - $750 for 50 users, and we only have 20!) I would not like our network to be responsible for passing on malware even if we are not directly effected by it, which is why ClamAV would be a good option with KMS on OS X.

Another good reason is that ClamAV appears to be faster at responding to threats:
http://www.linuxpipeline.com/166400446

[Updated on: Tue, 25 October 2005 01:56]

•  
RPC_Admin

I like Clam AV, it's free which is nice. I switched my office to Mcafee enterprize years ago, unfortunatly KMS won't use the license I pay for and I am not willing to pay again. I really wish you would allow us to use our own desktop version of mcafee as part of the mailserver.
  •  
sedell

Even if it would work through KMS, the licensing would not with McAfee. For a mailserver level scanner, you have to get licensing per mailbox. A desktop license won't due.

Scott
  •  
RPC_Admin

My point is more that I wish I could point Kerio to the scanner I want to use. Many pieces of software do that.
  •  
sedell

You can. Just not ClamAV. The problem with Clam Av is 1. it's fairly new, with no established track record, and 2. It's an open source project that hasn't even hit a 1.x version yet. That usually means it's still in development, and subject to change frequently.

I'm not knocking open source software, I use a lot of it myself, but as a developer, I wouldn't want to build in support until a product has at least hit a 1.x milestone or higher, and has a proven track record behind it. Right now, they have a new release at least once a month, sometimes 3-4 times a month. How can you support a product that changes faster than you can update your built-in routines for the last version. That's a support nightmare waiting to happen, and, well... no comment there.

Scott
  •  
sonofcolin

Apple manage to support it with Tiger server. Other mailservers use it too (4Dmail for example). I don't think it is the issue of being a 'pre 1x' release, more the fact that if Kerio offer it, it may upset the other vendors who currently supply plugins for KMS because it's free.
  •  
sedell

Quote:

... if Kerio offer it, it may upset the other vendors who currently supply plugins for KMS because it's free

That's also a possibility.

Tiger is made up of Open source software, so supporting open source AV isn't a supprise. Both 4Dmail and Tiger also only run on Mac OS. That could be a factor as well.

If I'm not mistaken, ClamAV is native to *nix, and ported to Windows. That could have an effect as well since a lot of the dependencies are native to *nix.

Scott
  •  
sonofcolin

sedell wrote on Tue, 25 October 2005 11:04

Quote:

... if Kerio offer it, it may upset the other vendors who currently supply plugins for KMS because it's free

That's also a possibility.

Tiger is made up of Open source software, so supporting open source AV isn't a supprise. Both 4Dmail and Tiger also only run on Mac OS. That could be a factor as well.

If I'm not mistaken, ClamAV is native to *nix, and ported to Windows. That could have an effect as well since a lot of the dependencies are native to *nix.

Clam is *nix only (native). If you look at the number of AV scanners available for OS X under KMS, you will notice that there is only 1! Surely the server platform for KMS needs to have more options? There are plenty of scanners available for windows, so if Kerio only supported Clam on *nix servers, then that's ok with me!
  •  
sedell

Quote:

If you look at the number of AV scanners available for OS X under KMS, you will notice that there is only 1! Surely the server platform for KMS needs to have more options?

That's a very valid point. There should be more options on OS X.

Scott
  •  
jshaw541

sedell wrote on Tue, 25 October 2005 07:28

You can. Just not ClamAV. The problem with Clam Av is 1. it's fairly new, with no established track record, and 2. It's an open source project that hasn't even hit a 1.x version yet. That usually means it's still in development, and subject to change frequently.

I'm not knocking open source software, I use a lot of it myself, but as a developer, I wouldn't want to build in support until a product has at least hit a 1.x milestone or higher, and has a proven track record behind it. Right now, they have a new release at least once a month, sometimes 3-4 times a month. How can you support a product that changes faster than you can update your built-in routines for the last version. That's a support nightmare waiting to happen, and, well... no comment there.

No offense, but I have to take issue with several things you said:

1.) ClamAV is not really "fairly new". We've been using it for years on our "mail firewall" and it's extremely popular in the (huge) open source mail server world. It has quite a track record and is the de facto AV solution in the "open source world".

2.) ClamAV definitions are usually kept up-to-date even moreso than the commercial alternatives.

3.) 1.0 means different things to different developers, and sometimes even different things to the same developer depending on the project. For a perfect example of this, see Firefox, which was used for what, a couple of years prior to 1.0 by a lot of people.

4.) Most software products are always "in development". ClamAV certainly is, but its being used in production all over the place, and again, is extremely popular.

5.) You don't have to update with every release or snapshot. On our "mail firewall" box, we simply apt-get update every 6 months or so, unless there's some serious security flaw.

6.) Users don't deal in APIs, so they don't have to worry about "changing routines", etc. They simply install it, schedule freshclam, point their mail server stuff to it, and let it go. It's simple and painless to setup and install.

7.) Kerio "supports" SpamAssassin which seems to have a similar development schedule. You'll note that they don't update KMS every time a new SpamAssassin release comes out.

Again, I don't mean for this to sound flamey, I just think that several of your observations are wrong/skewed and felt I had to speak up :)

Kerio MailServer 6.7.1 w/AD
Windows Server 2003 SP 1
Dell PowerEdge 2850 (Dual Xeon 3.2ghz and 2 GB RAM)
~1300 users
~1000+ concurrent IMAPS connections
iPhone users
Outlook 2007 KOFF users
Apple iCal 10.5/10.6 users
jshaw541

Kerio_pdobry wrote on Mon, 24 October 2005 14:55

Don't you like existing set of supported anti-viruses?

I do, but the big downside to them is the insane licensing costs associated with the current offerings.

Quote:

Why is ClamAV better for you than others?

It's free, and the definitions are often (not always, though) kept more up-to-date than McAfee and others.

Kerio MailServer 6.7.1 w/AD
Windows Server 2003 SP 1
Dell PowerEdge 2850 (Dual Xeon 3.2ghz and 2 GB RAM)
~1300 users
~1000+ concurrent IMAPS connections
iPhone users
Outlook 2007 KOFF users
Apple iCal 10.5/10.6 users
Previous Topic: Outlook XP "Group by BOX" supportted?
Next Topic: Services stop responding
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Nov 19 07:42:48 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00639 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.