Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Body search with KOC - Is it Possible?
  •  
Paddy

Send a private message to this user
Subject say it all -

Is it possible to search for text within message bodies with Outlook 2003 and KOC?
  •  
sedell

No. This has been a big bone of contention for a lot of people.

Scott
  •  
pwhodges

Nor is it possible using IMAP - this is the biggest current problem for me.

Paul
  •  
gaug2

One of my biggest problem to, hope that will be fix soon. But I heart in another post that we will need to wait for the offline mode for a solution!!

Maybe someone at Kerio can comfirm this?
  •  
sonofcolin

It depends on whether or not you download the messages to your machine. All of our users keep a local copy of their mail on laptops and desktops. Every message is then fully searchable from the email client of from the OS.

There is a solution, it just depends on whether you are prepared to do it this way.

[Updated on: Wed, 02 November 2005 18:47]

•  
Paddy

Thats a shame!!!

The other problems with KOC we could have lived with until they were sorted.

Not being able to search through email bodies is a killer. I'll probably load up scalix when the new server arrives and take another look at that.
  •  
red14

try installing "lookout" from Microsoft and you can search in
the body. Works with Outlook 2000 and 2003

Frank
  •  
pwhodges

sonofcolin wrote on Wed, 02 November 2005 17:47

There is a solution, it just depends on whether you are prepared to do it this way.

If you're travelling and have to use webmail, there is not a solution. This is why my users complain about it. The server should have the capability.

Also troublesome is that although the IMAP protocol gives the server the opportunity to report that it cannot do the requested search, in fact it doesn't report this, merely a null result - which means that clients (such as Mulberry, which I use) that would download bodies and search them if they knew they had to don't get the opportunity.

Paul

[Updated on: Thu, 03 November 2005 12:28]

•  
sonofcolin

Quote:

If you're travelling and have to use webmail, there is not a solution. This is why my users complain about it. The server should have the capability.

I see your point. Would be useful. However, I can see a performance hit on the server with all the extra indexing and searching. Would it be worth it? Maybe this feature could be on or off?
  •  
sedell

I think it would not only be worth it, but should be considered a necessary feature. People do periodically have to search for messages - it's a fact of using e-mail. Searching without access to the body of the message is, more often than not, useless. It doesn't have to be a super-fast full text indexed search necessarily, but it has to be available.

Also, it doesn't help any that users are used to being able to search the body. Outlook via the KOC doesn't say this isn't possible, IMAP search doesn't function properly, and the webmail doesn't label which fields are searchable... or more to the point, not searchable.

Scott
  •  
jonbrain

Hi Frank

Thankyou very much for pointing me in the direction of Lookout. Fantastic little Plugin, until Kerio get offline support (enable body search) it would be worth them suggesting installing this.

Works a treat!
  •  
Kerio_jthomas

I've had mixed success with Lookout. Here at the office we're still playing with it, so it's not "supported" yet.

Which means, go ahead and use it. If something else breaks, that should be your first thing to turn off. Smile

Joshua Thomas
Technical Support Manager
2350 Mission College Blvd, Suite 400
Santa Clara, CA 95054
Phone: (408) 496-4500
Fax: (408) 496-6902
http://www.kerio.com/support.html

•  
badams7

I know this thread is for KOC, however, someone else mentioned IMAP.

Does anyone know if there are any plans at all to support IMAP body search (timeline?). Not having this feature is a major problem. All the IMAP servers we have set up have this ability, even the cheap SmarterMail (windows) servers.

We just became aware that it is not possible in Kerio.
Previous Topic: Force IMAP?
Next Topic: ical
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Nov 21 05:46:56 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00487 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.