Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Control » For a server at home - will this work?
  •  
loveoldtrux

Send a private message to this user
Hi. I have a small network at home that I use with my studies for MCSE. The server is what I used to access the internet via a 31.2k connection (please don't laugh!! Laughing ) - I use spiders / bots to get information that I need; mostly it's left on each evening as I sleep.... I have 4 clients attached in 2 domains.

Sometimes I can tell somebody is hacking my system as my "outgoing log" shows MANY megabytes being sent out .... for instance 45 mB out and 130 mb in (should be something like 2 mb out.... there's no reason for 45 mb out unless sombody is snooping around...).

Finally the QUESTION ---- Will the version 6 software allow me to keep intruders out and let only information I ALLOW out to go out? I am running Symantec server 8.0 for virii.

Thanks!!
Mark
  •  
feite

Yes it will within the configuration settings you use. Please note that a firewall filters packets on a protocol / port number basis. If you open port 80 (HTTP) from in to out, every process that tries to access the internet from 'in' will succeed. You can monitor the traffic and the url's / ip addresses that are visited. If there is a hacked process that connects to the internet using (in this example) port 80 it will be able to do so. Hacked process that need to receive a signal from internet will not get the signal unless you allow initiating incomming http connections. You only need to allow this when you are running a web server. So a firewall will never give 100% protection but it will help
  •  
loveoldtrux

Thanks Feite!.... I'll keep listening and see what happens here.

I have a spare desktop; h'mmmm - I was wondering if I could use IT as the system that dials out (it has a personal firewall on it - non server system; win 2000 pro) and then have it and the server connected to a hub. This way, the system that dials out would have it's personal firewall on it to prevent snooping, then the server would be "behind" this running just ordinary Symantec 8.0 and using ICS to connect with the spare desktop. Does that sound feasible - it'd sure save a few HUNDRED dollars.

Then I could still have everything inside the house connected to the same hub and all traffic to / from the 'net would be monitored by the "spare" desktop; all the other homes systems using ICS with the spare desktop.

Sounds good, but would it work?

Thanks again,
Mark
Previous Topic: Bandwith Limiter
Next Topic: Notify user: Quota exceeded
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Nov 24 17:59:40 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00369 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.