Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Integrated Backup Incomplete ?
  •  
easiconseil

Send a private message to this user
Hi,

I activate integrated backup function of KMS and i see after a backup that is missing many files. It don"t save :

- Mailing list
- SSL Certificate Directory
- Licence Directory
- Logs
and other things

I don't found where i can add what i want in backup, so for next version that will be possible to have a true full backup ? such as all Kerio directory ?

Many thanks :)

--
MaT
Courriel : mat<_at_>pnymail.com
--------------------------------
  •  
Kerio_jthomas

Hi,

These are known issues that should be fixed in a later version.

Cheers,
Joshua

Joshua Thomas
Technical Support Manager
2350 Mission College Blvd, Suite 400
Santa Clara, CA 95054
Phone: (408) 496-4500
Fax: (408) 496-6902
http://www.kerio.com/support.html

•  
easiconseil

Ah, ok. Thx for answer

--
MaT
  •  
Soup

Does this make the current backup solution unreliable?

3 x Apple Xserve G5 DP2.3
1 x Apple Xserve RAID
40ish users
  •  
winkelman

It is reliable for the things it does backup (mail, users, configuration).
If you want to save the license, logs, etc. you have to use other means.
  •  
puskas

Does anyone know exactly what it backs up and what it doesn't?

•  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

Kerio MailServer enables regular backups of user folders and configuration files on a corresponding media. For this purposes, any removable or network disk can be used.

Kerio MailServer creates backups of the entire store data directory and of the users.cfg and mailserver.cfg configuration files.

Chapter 19.2 in the manual: http://www.kerio.com/manual/kms/en/ch19s02.html
  •  
easiconseil

i do a backup script for linux (rsync) i must stop KMS under linux during the backup ?

--
MaT
  •  
winkelman

I believe it is highly recommended to stop KMS before copying/backupping the store directory yourself. If you don't, you may not get a consistent copy, that therefor may be corrupted.

On the other hand: there are people who do this... so it doesn't seem to often lead to problems.

However, a better way would be to let KMS make the backup and then putting this created backup file (a normal zip-file) to tape. Or anyplace else you normally backup to. During this saving of the zip-file you could also take the license key, SSL certificates etc.
  •  
teco

Quote:

On the other hand: there are people who do this... so it doesn't seem to often lead to problems.

Yes, people like me... But at night I stop the server for some moments to scan the directories for changed files. This takes around 2-3 Minutes. Than the Mailserver will be restarted. We have not a 24/7 business running here...

•  
easiconseil

I do a every 24h backup with this script. for safe backup i put the commande to stop and restart the server.

I launch it 4:00 am and the server is off only 5 minutes. For refused mails there is 4 mx backup behind on other networks.

i do a .tar.gz of /opt/kerio/mailserver directory add the day date on filename, and finaly put the file to another linux server with sftp (but you can easily change this to use scp)

i use public/private key for connexion, so no passwords can be view.

If that interest somebody, i can post script here when i finish debuging it.

The script use a simple versionning for easy recovery of ancien backups.

[Updated on: Tue, 08 November 2005 18:24]

--
MaT
  •  
winkelman

Our store is so big it takes almost 1,5 hours to backup. I can't afford to stop the server for that long. And I expect this to become a lot longer still in the near future, as email is used more and more.

I run the internal backup every night at 02.00u. Then arround 5.00u the created backup zip-file is picked up by the backup server and stored to a 800Gb tape (along with the rest of the companies data). At that time also the SSL-certificates etc. are copied to the tape.
  •  
sedell

How much mail do you have if it only takes 5 minutes to backup?

Scott
  •  
easiconseil

sedell wrote on Tue, 08 November 2005 18:36

How much mail do you have if it only takes 5 minutes to backup?

~40000 mails for aproximatively 1.5Go of data. .tar.gz do ~350Mo after compression.

My system is good only in the case of a small activity.

I stop KMS juste before the tar and restart it just after (Before gzip of .tar)

For big size store directory, you can use rsync instead of scp or sftp and with rsync you don"t need to tar the directory.

You can do snapshots too if you need it with rsnapshot that is based on rsync (www.rsnapshot.org)

My next script will use rsync with a simplified snapshot system for my use.

i have 40mb of bandwith between my KMS server and backup server, so the rsync will be very short.

[Updated on: Tue, 08 November 2005 18:44]

--
MaT
sedell

We've got about 50GB of mail. It takes about 6 hours, so any backup we run has to run while the server is active.

Scott
Previous Topic: KOC 6.0.10 & multiple email accounts problem
Next Topic: Activesync synching with KOC 6.1
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Nov 24 00:50:22 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00555 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.