Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Individual User E-mail Archiving
  •  
BobH

Send a private message to this user
Running KerioMail - Webclient 6.1.1 on Windows XP

I'm curious to know what kind of methods are being used by other KerioMail users to save e-mail.

We impose quotas on users to make them do housekeeping periodically. However, we do have some users in Sales and Management who want to keep a ton of stuff with attachments. Now I can see it from their point of view that keeping the e-mail in KerioMail provides a nice organized way of storing and recalling stuff. On the other hand, with no hard limit there's no incentive to periodically clear out the unneeded stuff. And perpetually upping their quotas becomes like not having a quota at all.

Is there a method or product that anyone would like to share that would allow users to archive their own e-mail to a local drive and still provide access to pictures, attachments, etc.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks.
  •  
lodewijk

i could use some help on this too...
  •  
jshaw541

Uhm. An IMAP client? At worst, a POP3 client?

Kerio MailServer 6.7.1 w/AD
Windows Server 2003 SP 1
Dell PowerEdge 2850 (Dual Xeon 3.2ghz and 2 GB RAM)
~1300 users
~1000+ concurrent IMAPS connections
iPhone users
Outlook 2007 KOFF users
Apple iCal 10.5/10.6 users
  •  
it@leonardsexpress.com

I could also use some help on this as well. We implemented Kerio back in October and imposed hard limits on all users. Some, as you say would like to keep all mail related since inception of the buisiness, and we're talking over a gig of e-mail including attachments. Trouble is, I can't get my users into a better practice of saving off attachments into their personal file directory on the server as opposed to keeping the e-mail.

IT Admin
  •  
winkelman

I'm 'struggling' with the same thing, so some thoughts:

Yes: quotas need to be enforced to give users a cleaning incentive. And indeed, shifting quota's are as good as no quotas at all, so users find me very unwilling to extend their quotas.

I used to think people should 'simply' store large attachments somewhere else besides in their email. But then I thought 1) it's not very handy and it takes some effort to archive your attachments this way, but more importantly 2) do we admins gain anything by it? Why would we prefer a file on the file server over a file on the mail server? Both files need to be stored, backed up, etc. Perhaps if 'someone else' is responsible for the file server and it thus solves 'our' problems. But here I manage both and I suspect in most companies using KMS.

In the end I've concluded people should just really delete old mail. When something becomes 'old mail' depends on your company, the specific person's job, your IT budget, the size of your backup tapes, etc. but at some point users must actually irreversibly delete old stuff. And only if they can totally convince me they've spend hours trying to clean up and there really is no mail left that may be deleted, I am willing to enlarge their quota. Mostly my users are unable to make their case stick with me >:-). I need to be very strict about this, otherwise in a short while everybody will tell me there 'really' is no more messages they can remove. Yeah, right. Try harder :-) In the end, when they face 100% quota use and are not able anymore to send/receive email, they usually are able to clean house in a matter of minutes... that says enough with me.

But in the end I am here to serve my company's real and actual business needs. So should the mailboxes need to grow beyond the current system's capabilities, it then becomes a matter of convincing management larger servers/backup systems/networks may be needed. Until then: be tough and stick to your quotas :-)
  •  
lodewijk

winkelman, you have just convinced me in becoming a quota nazi....thank you!
  •  
tpalmer

Ahh, would that I could put the quota hammer down. But, I can't, and KOC's performance suffers when people have 5k messages in inbox, and 4GB total size. It amazing how much (legit, even) mail some people get.

So, I'm looking into an automated "sweep to other IMAP server" method. LDAP authentication, with maildir storage is the plan (Courier IMAP with LDAP). That way people will always have access, but I can control the KMS mailstore. Don't really know how practical this really is yet. I expect Kerio won't think much of it, given it will require regular reindexing of the KMS store, but c'est la vie.
  •  
sedell

We've run into a similar problem with our server. User's mail keeps growing and growing. We had planned on using the Outlook auto archive and retention policies that can be set via Group Policy, but of course, Outlook archiving isn't supported with KOC, and during my tests, usually didn't work.

We can't even get users to move the mail off the server because the automated methods in Outlook don't work, there's nothing built into KMS, and users apparently can't be bothered doing it manually. Then again, with the speed problems with KOC, it would probably take months to go through 5-6GB of mail manually.

I would love to throw the quotas on, but that would mean users would instantly start having mail bounce, and it would take several weeks each with the speed issues to get them to clean out mail with no automated way to do it.

Scott
  •  
tek_san

You are overestimating the impact of quotas.
We were implementing them from the beginning (2 years ago).
At no time there were any discussions about them, of course there are some who don't follow the rules, ignore the 90% information given by KMS and do not receive mail anymore. But this is regulating by itself, even the dumbest user will learn, by the third time, they miss mails....
Some users have quotas up to 4gb and more but have learned not to keep their mails in one folder and have built up kms based rules and a lot of folders. This works fast and reliable.

But aside of this we really would like to have some user based archiving method.
A folder system would be nice, something the user can move its "older" mails to.
These folders should point to an alternate discdrive that do not fill up the main disc space.

Another point I am struggling with are legal regulations that force companies to keep mails for a long time (in Germany its called Gdpdu).
There must be a mechanism that works like a gateway to keep all incoming and outgoing mails. Any ideas anybody?
regards

Oliver

KC 7.3.1, Win2003 in vsphere 4.1, store drive attached via iSCSI, OS drive attached via NFS.
220+ IMAP Accounts: 210 OSX Mail /Entourage Clients, 10 Outlook 2003 KOC Clients - iPhones, Nokia E66, HTC 4350
Archive:EMA Appliance, SpamFilter: Nospamproxy
  •  
sedell

tek_san wrote on Wed, 11 April 2007 01:32

Another point I am struggling with are legal regulations that force companies to keep mails for a long time (in Germany its called Gdpdu).
There must be a mechanism that works like a gateway to keep all incoming and outgoing mails. Any ideas anybody?

That's the archive feature. It archives everything. At the end of each month, we compress it and move it off the server, and burn it to DVD to store.

Scott
  •  
tek_san

Thanks,
I really should start to take a look at this feature ;-)
bye

Oliver

KC 7.3.1, Win2003 in vsphere 4.1, store drive attached via iSCSI, OS drive attached via NFS.
220+ IMAP Accounts: 210 OSX Mail /Entourage Clients, 10 Outlook 2003 KOC Clients - iPhones, Nokia E66, HTC 4350
Archive:EMA Appliance, SpamFilter: Nospamproxy
  •  
rogerm

Anyone can archive all messages to a CD-ROM. The trick is finding the messages you need when you need them. Searching through all of the CD-ROMs is impractical and prone to error.

The InBoxer Anti-Risk Appliance works with Kerio (http://www.inboxer.com). I won't do a marketing pitch. And, in full disclosure, I am the company CEO. I just wanted to let you know it was available.

Roger Matus
Blog: http://www.deathbyemail.com (Death By Email)
Previous Topic: How to backup Kerio mail server (including all setting in Kerio)
Next Topic: KOC with domain user name and password
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Nov 19 00:32:18 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00530 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.