Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » No ip ban option ?
  •  
easiconseil

Send a private message to this user
I don't found where i can ban (blacklist) a IP adresse directly from the smtp, in KMS 611. There is no option ?

I receive many mails from zombi pc and i would like to block there ip before they send the spam. So there is no possibility to block ip with the smtp ? i see how to autorize ip but no to block connexion from ip declared.

[Updated on: Tue, 22 November 2005 15:22]

--
MaT
Courriel : mat<_at_>pnymail.com
--------------------------------
  •  
winkelman

An SMTP server should block EVERYTHING except autorised connections. So... there is no need for an SMTP IP blacklist (because everyone is on that list).
  •  
easiconseil

winkelman wrote on Tue, 22 November 2005 15:33

An SMTP server should block EVERYTHING except autorised connections. So... there is no need for an SMTP IP blacklist (because everyone is on that list).

No, this is only in case of SENDING emails from the mail server, but my case it is when KMS receive mails from other mail servers.

So it's a ip ban for smtp in and not smtp out that i search.

--
MaT
  •  
sedell

winkelman wrote on Tue, 22 November 2005 09:33

An SMTP server should block EVERYTHING except autorised connections.

If you block all but authorized connections, how do you get mail from the outside?

To create a custom blacklist, you first have to create an IP Address Group (Configuration -> Definitions -> IP Address Groups). You'll have to have at least one address to initially create it. Click add at the bottom of the screen, type in your Address Group name (in my case, I called it Blacklist), and add the IP address. After you add it, you'll see an entry in the list Blacklist with the IP Address listed under it.

Now, on the Spam Filter -> Blacklists tab under Custom blacklist of spammer IP addrsses, select the IP Address group you created.

You would follow the same steps for a whitelist as well.

Scott
  •  
easiconseil

Ok thx for this howto :)

But there is no possibility to avoid spamer connexion to the smtp directly ? that will be best for server load than spam filtering. no ? (Perhaps what i say is stupide lol ;) )

--
MaT
  •  
sedell

The only way I know of to completely prevent an IP address from contacting your SMTP server at all is to block it at the firewall/gateway level, before it can contact the server.

Scott
  •  
easiconseil

sedell wrote on Tue, 22 November 2005 16:00

The only way I know of to completely prevent an IP address from contacting your SMTP server at all is to block it at the firewall/gateway level, before it can contact the server.

Mmmhhh okay, i will look at iptable.

--
MaT
  •  
3dlover

In Linux or most any *nix setup, you can use the /etc/hosts.deny file. This will block those IP's from all connections, not just SMTP.

[Updated on: Thu, 01 December 2005 02:32]

•  
easiconseil

3dlover wrote on Thu, 01 December 2005 02:31

In Linux or most any *nix setup, you can use the /etc/hosts.deny file. This will block those IP's from all connections, not just SMTP.

Many thanks, i will take a look at this.

--
MaT
Previous Topic: Changing domain
Next Topic: The server was not able to deliver your email message to the following adresses:
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Nov 19 17:20:30 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00520 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.