Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » IMAP delete and general suggestions
  •  
mitsinc

Send a private message to this user
While out of the country, I noticed mail deleted via IMAP was repopulating on resync. I have not had chance to try another client to see if it's a client problem. Has anyone else seen this in 6.1.1?

Also, it would be nice to have Out-of-office only respond to mail "sent directly to me". I got 200+ mail delivery failures due to spam replies. Not nice when accessing mail over WAP from Asia. Outlook handles SPAM nicely, but in Kerio itself I get a LOT of spam (poor choice of account names but that's another story).

Is there some documentation available to tweak the SPAM filter and have it permanently delete spam on the server side. The OOTB spam filters seems pretty lame.

Finally, we do not have the AV option, but do have AV on the server and get lots of corrupt indexes. There should be a better method of index recovery when a mail item is not found rather than constantly rebuilding user indexes...

•  
winkelman

You must exlcude the store directory from the AV scanner. Really. You cannot expect KMS to keep descent indexes if another process is messing about the store.

Can't your AV solution scan the incoming and outgoing mail directly as it is being received and send as a protocol filter?

[Updated on: Sat, 26 November 2005 13:24]

•  
sedell

mitsinc wrote on Sat, 26 November 2005 00:06

Is there some documentation available to tweak the SPAM filter and have it permanently delete spam on the server side. The OOTB spam filters seems pretty lame.

Finally, we do not have the AV option, but do have AV on the server and get lots of corrupt indexes. There should be a better method of index recovery when a mail item is not found rather than constantly rebuilding user indexes...

Both of these topics are covered in the manual. Sounds like someone needs to RTFM. There are options to delete spam at the server, and the Kerio directory should be excluded from AV scanning to prevent corruption in the mail store.

Scott
  •  
mitsinc

The problem is a common name was used for a number of accounts in the previous mail server, e.g. bob, steve, pat, etc. Most of our consulting staff are on-site for long periods of time, including myself, so we have to host the server on the public internet. It's impossible for me to simply rename the existing accounts en masse. As a result, some of the accounts, mine for sure, receives about 1 spam every 30 seconds. Most (95%?) are filtered and not a problem when accessed via Outlook or a thick client - the problem is when I am traveling and trying to read mail from 12k miles away over a cell phone; we do use reverse DNS, keyword filters (updated periodically), and other measures and I personally have marked mail as spam to train the Bayesian filter but I have yet to see anything moved to the Spam folder. I do get an error on the built-in filters (unknown test type [) so perhaps there is error in the default filter rules. I am quite familiar with how Bayesian filters work having looked at this technology from a content classification perspective, but I view the spam engine as part of the Kerio out-of-box feature set, and therefore believe it should be better documented as to how to tune it beyond what is in the manual. If such information was readily available then I would consider taking the time even for a 2%-3% gain in efficiency. What I don't want to do is to tinker and make assumptions as to what version of the engine is being used or what customizations, if any, were employed to interface that engine to this specific product - that technical information snhould be, IMO, readily available.

As for AV, I am aware that mail store should be excluded per the documentation, but what I asked is if there was not a better method for index recovery. I left AV enabled because we were receiving virus from an offshore competitor for a period at the rate of 5 every minute and a concious decision was made that if a virus should escape the protocol filter (say as an attachment) then we did not want to risk it being passed on. Our consultants primarily work as engineers for software companies and if their laptops accidently become infected it means downtime while they mail in their machines and down time for me while I come off site into the office to fix it and send it back. Multiply this by 100+ consultants and you can understand my concern. If we had a dedicated IT staff this would be less of a concern, but right now we do not. Having written store and transport sinks, I have much more confidence in a store sink (in this case a filesystem scan) than a transport filter. From my perspective, it should be possible that when a client attaches and the mail manifest is being read, if there is a record with no matching file it should be possible to mark it as not found and continue without causing errors on the front end (client side) and to have a background thread/process that can reconcile these sort of inconsistencies. And yes, using the supported version of McAffee would probably be the best solution and probably the approach we will take but from architural perspective the issue simply looks like a "sloppy" solution to an otherwise good product.

•  
winkelman

KMS spam-filtering is doing a superb job over here, without any finetuning. (At the moment, 98% of the spam is correctly recognized with 0% false positives.) If your filter is not working, I suggest contacting support directly.

What you are asking about the 'automatic reindexing' is simply not realistic. You just cannot expect any software to maintain proper indexes when anything could be happinging to the databse, without it knowing about it. And a permanent, background re-indexing engine would create so much problems with flags and attributes...

It is a proper design descision to 'demand' full control over what's happening in the store. You really should change your AV strategy.
  •  
sedell

It's a bit rediculous to expect the mail store to not get corrupt when you have outside processes tinkering with it behind the scenes and deleting messages. Asking for a better index recovery when you're intentionally doing something that corrupts the index is asking a bit much. Stop being cheap and get an AV solution. Anti-virus is one of the most important investments a company can make to protect itself, and this is even more important when running your own mail server (didn't you know viruses spread through e-mail?).

On top of bitching about something you know full well is in the documentation as something not to do when you're doing it, you talk about gaining 2%-3% in efficiency, then have real time scanning to intercept every file the mail server tries to open or write. With the thousands of files being used and maintained by KMS, I would think disabling the real time scanning in the mail store and using a real AV solution would gain you at least 2%-3% in efficiency just in file IO.

Scott
Previous Topic: Spam Rating problems
Next Topic: Mail w/virus sent to Inbox
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Thu Nov 23 02:46:11 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00401 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.