Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Migrating from OS X 10.4 Mail server to Kerio Mail server
  •  
d

Send a private message to this user
Hi forum folks.

I'm looking to migrate about 25 users from Apple Mac OS X 10.4 Mail server (IMAP), to Kerio Mail server 6.1 (IMAP - on a different XServe)

I've read threads about doing a migration from M$ Exchange to Kerio mail server, but this migration is different, as I'm already running Mac OS X server.

Does anyone have any ideas/thoughts/suggestions, of how best to attempt this type of migration from Apple Mail server, to Kerio?

All suggestions welcome.

Cheers,
Derek
  •  
d

Found the answer... The IMAP migration tool...

http://people.kerio.com/jwu/tools.html

Happy migrating!

Cheers,
Derek
  •  
d

Doh! The tool is unavailable now. And I'm answering my own post. *sigh*

However, for small-scale IMAP transfers, I found an answer out for myself:

-Setup your 'new' server, with your new accounts (via whatever method works best/easiest for you). For small set-ups, setting up the new accounts by hand, might be easier enough.

-Setup the new account (pointing at the new server), on the 1st person's email client, making sure you leave the existing email account and settings there too.

-Drag and drop the Mail (preferably using a modifier key (e.g. Option on a Mac, or perhaps Control, on a PC) to do a "COPY", not just a move) from one account to the new account

-You now have a copy of that person's email on the new server

This allows you to do a gentle migration across to the new server.

-Repeat these steps above, for each user.

You can then put a 'forward' on the users old account, pointing at the new account, until you get to change your DNS records etc., when the whole transfer is complete, for all users.

When all users are migrated, disable the old server, and change the settings in each client's account, so that the 'new' server address details are up to date, and that your old Mail server accounts are no longer available to your user.

(e.g. delete the reference in the person's email client, to the old IMAP server).

And you've done it... You've migrated users from an old server, to a new IMAP based Kerio server, in a relatiively simple, and 'soft' method.

It's not an 'all in one' magic tool. And it requires some leg work, copying the mail manually across for each person. But it does seem to work. And it DOES copy across the flags like 'Replied', 'Forward' etc., along with the mail itself.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions!

Cheers,
Derek
Previous Topic: Moving email folders from one user to another?
Next Topic: any good windows calendar clients?
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Nov 20 03:27:11 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00395 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.