Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » sendmail and kms on same server
  •  
3dlover

Send a private message to this user
I have Sendmail and KMS running on the same Fedora server. Sendmail is bound to just localhost (127.0.0.1) and KMS is bound to the external public IP. I have it configured this way because some of the apps on my website use Sendmail and I was unable to make them work with KMS. Everything's been working fine with this setup...

...except, mail sent through Sendmail bound for users with local accounts on the KMS system are bounced. Sendmail thinks that these messages should be locally delivered, but it's unable to find a local user account for the specific user and the message bounces.

Assuming that my server is called example.com, if a message is feed into Sendmail for joe<_at_>example.com, how can I get this message into KMS? Esentially, I need to force Sendmail to send the message to the SMTP server on the enternal IP (example.com) instead of local delivery. Would anyone have any ideas on how this is done?

Looking at some of the Sendmail options in Webmin, I see that an aliased email address can be "Feed to Program" or "Write to File". Would either of these options be of use? Is there a KMS program that I can feed the message to, or is there a file that is watched that I can append the message to?

Thanks for any ideas..
Ray
  •  
elias

Its been a long time since I've worked on sendmail (I'm a Postfix convert), so I don't know all the configuration files and commands anymore. But here's what I'd try:

1. Make sure there are no local domains defined in your sendmail config. I think these used to be listed in sendmail.cw, but it may be that newer versions use something like /etc/mail/local-host-names

2. Configure sendmail to forward all mail to a smarthost (your KMS server). Here again, my sendmail is pretty rusty, but I think you add:
define(`SMART_HOST', `[192.168.1.5]')
to your sendmail.mc file (replacing the IP given with your machine's IP).

That should tell sendmail to forward any email it receives to your KMS server for delivery.

-Elias
  •  
3dlover

Thanks elias, I think you've got me looking in the right direction. I tried the SMART_HOST as well as doing the following:

define(`LOCAL_RELAY',`[192.168.1.5]')dnl
define(`MAIL_HUB',`[192.168.1.5]')dnl

But, for some reason, Sendmail is seeing that this address is assigned to it's self (even though netstat says that Sendmail is only on localhost:25) and it just locally delivers it (or tries to).

I'm going to ask this on some other forums, but if anyone has some other ideas, I'm willing to try.

Thanks,
Ray
  •  
kpapizan

ray, you should try running sendmail on a different port altogether too. i'd try something like port 26 or something. i believe you can do this by adding this to your sendmail.mc file and rebuilding the sendmail.cf:

DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=26, Name=MTA')dnl

be sure to comment out the DAEMON_OPTIONS line referencing port 25 when you do that. this should force sendmail to run on port 26, forcing it to let port 25 to be used entirely by kerio.

enjoy,
ken
  •  
chapterthree

Hello,

I need to setup the same type of deal, but I'm using Postfix.

What I need is to setup my system so that system messages are delivered to KMS. What do I need to do in order to configure Postfix so that it delivers any mail sent to it to my KMS installation?

Thanks
  •  
vlada

chapterthree wrote on Mon, 02 January 2006 20:41

I need to setup the same type of deal, but I'm using Postfix.

For my instalation (SuSE Linux) was enough only to insert # before line with smtp in file /etc/postfix/master.cf (and restart postfix indeed):

#smtp inet n - n - - smtpd

Now I can get system messages (e.g. from cron) and run KMS with all services too. But this does not cause to deliver system messages to KMS. I prefer to read system messages separately by linux command.

[Updated on: Tue, 03 January 2006 14:05]

Previous Topic: Full Webmail support for Opera 8.5
Next Topic: Log file not working ?? Urgent
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Nov 21 13:05:46 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00397 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.