Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Control » Run VPN client as service
  •  
stranikm

Send a private message to this user
Is it any way, how run VPN client as service? I need it because I have several clients on constractions and I can not force them to run VPN client all the time. They can switch it off, I need it on.

Any idea?
  •  
scadet7

Some applications by designed can run as a windows service. Kerio vpn client on the other hand is not one of them. If you save the information needed to establish the connection to your Kerio vpn server then you can add this to you pc startup list of programs to run once the pc boots up.
  •  
giampos

Put the Vpn Client in the startup, and at the vpn login select "persistent connection". When windows logon you will have a vpn error message in the system tray for 3 seconds, but when you will connect to internet (adsl ord dialup) the vpn will start automatically.
  •  
rhernandez50

BACKUP YOUR CONFIG FOLDER FIRST.... but this DOES work to run VPN Client as a service but it is a bit of a rig...

------

NOTES
• If you're a little technical, you'll understand this but this isn't for rookies.
• It seems that unless you've opened the client once and entered all of the info, checked 'save password', 'persist connect', and 'reconnect'; that the service won't have the info saved to login. So, before you do the following, ensure that VPN Client connects correctly and all settings are saved.
------

1. Download srvany.exe and instsrv.exe from the windows resource kit (also attached here.) and copy to c:\program files\ on the target machine.

2. From command prompt, navigate to C:\Program Files and run instsrv.exe KerioVPNClient "C:\Program Files\srvany.exe"

3. Run regedit and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\KerioVP NClient and change ImagePath value to

"C:\Program Files\Kerio\VPN Client\kvpnclient.exe" connect /nowait

4. You'll have a service called KerioVPNClient in your Services list. Change login to Administrator account or if using local system account check "interact with desktop"

5. You'll want to remove

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion \Run\Kerio VPN Client

which will have a value of

C:\Program Files\Kerio\VPN Client\kvpnclient.exe /tryauto

or each person who logs in will try to launch another instance which will cause an annoying error.

--------

As a follow-up, while this does work, it can be finicky. As a result, I downloaded and am using FireDaemon (http://www.firedaemon.com/). At $35, it's well worth it.

• Attachment: tools.zip
    (Size: 21.27KB, Downloaded 995 times)

[Updated on: Wed, 18 January 2006 00:14]

•  
stranikm

I have freeware version of FireDaemon. It is working, but I can not put it here.

• Attachment: working.rar
    (Size: 58.16KB, Downloaded 927 times)
Previous Topic: VPN SSL Certificate expired without notice
Next Topic: Problem NTP protocol nat Firewall
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Nov 22 17:33:57 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00450 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.