Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Performance on Xserve
  •  
Photon Beam

Send a private message to this user
Hi,

i've been evaluating KMS 6.1 on an Apple Xserve with 2*2.3Ghz G5 CPUs. I would like to know if anyone has any experience with the performance of such a setup?
I'm planning to put about 200-250 Useraccounts on the box with each about 1Gbyte Imap accounts. The box will also be used to do a bit of workgrouping mainly with MS Outlook and a bagfull of appleusers.

I'm quite pleased with the product up till now, but must admit that I have no way of simulating large networks without spending a lot of time to generate phoney mails with scripts or such.

I'm not sure if this one box will handle that many large imap accounts and would like to know if anybody has done this in a simillar enviroment.

In the second step the accounts are going to move into an Apple XSan which should make backups more easy and give a tiny boost on IO performance.

many thanks in advance for any comments spared

cheers
ron
  •  
Kerio_ktrumbull

Although real-world experience is best, we have provided some basic information on some tests we did at:

http://www.kerio.com/kms_scalability.html

Kevin Trumbull
Kerio Technical Support Team Leader
http://support.kerio.com
  •  
Soup

We run 6.1 on a dual 2.3Ghz with 2Gb RAM and the Xserve is rarely using any cpu muscle at all. We only have 40 users though so not as many as you're planning.

Our office is split 50/50 apple mail users (IMAP) and Outlook with KOC. If you're users are using exchange then they will definately notice a big speed and functionality drop going to KOC, you will need to have a lot of excuses about reliability and scaleability ready :)

For our IMAP users though, the Kerio system work perfectly well.

Paul.

[Updated on: Thu, 08 December 2005 10:35]

3 x Apple Xserve G5 DP2.3
1 x Apple Xserve RAID
40ish users
  •  
timme

We have a Xserve G5 2 Ghz with 1 CPU and 512 MB Ram for ~500-600 users and the CPU usage is about 0%-10%. But we only use pop3/smtp. without Spam/Antivir scanning.
  •  
Photon Beam

Hi,

thanks for the input. I'll def. buy 6.1 and a dual proc. Xserve and will let you know what happens.

Thanks
&
Have a good yuletide and a happy new year
ron
  •  
Photon Beam

Hi Paul,

thanks for your comment.

To be honest, I inherited the mess we have now and currently the mailsystem consists of one 9year old DEC3000, one dual Proc Athlon system and a 1Gig CPU as a gateway .....
(not mentionig the NIS Authentication System :-/

(if you think this is a mess, wait till i tell you about the current DNS infrastructure!!)
Can anyone top this mess?? ;-))

Cheers
ron
  •  
willaw

Hi, I have a G5 2*2.3 Ghz with 5 GB of RAM.

I'm using a XRAID for the main storage.

In this machine I ran Oracle 10g (with 1 TB database in one of the XRAID channels) and the Kerio MailServer for 120 users, using KOC (Outlook) - the storage for the mail is on the other XRAID channel (500 GB).

The Oracle runs all the time and the Kerio works with 0 - 5 of CPU. Only when the automatic backup runs (Kerio internal backup), it can reach 30% of the CPU. The backup routine takes 2,5 hours today (for a 100 GB mail database).

The Oracle routines and processes do not affect the MailServer, even using all the machine (even backup routines).

I migrate from a ambient of Outlook connecting directly to a pop3/smtp in the internet from every station to a scenario where the clients connects to the Kerio MailServer and the Kerio connects to the external server without the users know about.

And the Oracle users (power users) do not feel it too.

The Xserve authenticates on a Windows 2000 server (AD), and the Kerio uses the same authentication. The primary DNS of all machines is the Windows 2000 Server.

I expect that this helps you.

Previous Topic: Problem with attachments in webmail 6.1.0
Next Topic: Problem with AD Schema Extension installation
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Nov 19 04:12:34 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00498 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.