Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » How to setup a secondary mail server
  •  
jls001

Send a private message to this user
I would like to setup a secondary (backup) kerio server incase the primary ever fails. Couple of questions:
Is this even possible?
If so, do domains/user accounts need to be setup on secondary.
What other alternatives people are using for secondary email server.

Thanks in advance.
JK
  •  
jshaw541

jls001 wrote on Wed, 14 December 2005 12:48

I would like to setup a secondary (backup) kerio server incase the primary ever fails. Couple of questions:
Is this even possible?
If so, do domains/user accounts need to be setup on secondary.
What other alternatives people are using for secondary email server.

Thanks in advance.
JK

Two questions:

1. Do you want a full secondary that users can check and send email with while the primary is down?
2. Or, do you just want a place to queue incoming messages until the primary is back up?

Kerio MailServer 6.7.1 w/AD
Windows Server 2003 SP 1
Dell PowerEdge 2850 (Dual Xeon 3.2ghz and 2 GB RAM)
~1300 users
~1000+ concurrent IMAPS connections
iPhone users
Outlook 2007 KOFF users
Apple iCal 10.5/10.6 users
  •  
gryphon

I was hoping to do the same thing - with option 1 (allowing users to carry on as normal checking/sending mail on the secondary when the primary fails).

Obviously the problem with this is that the primary needs to somehow get all the emails from the users' mailboxes when it comes back up, rather than just using ERTN to get the current queue.

This is something I would like some advice on how to handle if possible? Can the mailstore files simply be copied back to the primary? I'm guessing this isn't the normal way to do it?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Tom.
  •  
winkelman

There is special software for this, to keep a fail-over server running. It would of course cost you secondary server hardware + software to do this fail-over job. This fail-over server will stay synced to the primary server(s) and assume it's identity in case of problems.

The plus is you can use one (big) server as a fail-over server for all your other servers. (Of course, it can only take over one [the first] failed server.)
Previous Topic: Hide KOC bar in Outlook?
Next Topic: Kerio MailServer 6.1.1 Patch 1
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Nov 19 20:46:52 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00446 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.