Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Entourage IMAP errors & speed
  •  
Lyle M

Send a private message to this user
Most of our Entourage (v.X & 2004) users are complaining about IMAP speed and connection errors. For comparison, a few of the users are connected to our KMS 6.1.1p1 server and to an Apple Mail Server (OS X Server 10.4.3 Mail). Both servers are comparable configurations and reside on the same network segment (outside our 100BT firewall, but in front of our T1).

The Apple Mail Server downloads attachments 4-5 times faster than the Kerio machine off-peak to the same workstation (both accounts in Entourage 2004). Possibly related, our users receive varying numbers of connection errors each day. The errors are mostly "111: An operation on the server timed out. The server may be down, overloaded, or there may be too much net traffic." There are also occasional -17492 errors. Meanwhile, the KMS server isn't even breaking a sweat, with CPU usage typically under 20% (60% when doing the early morning backups). Network traffic is typically under 512KB/sec (on the KMS server's own Ethernet port). To test the server's ability to move data, I copied a 150MB file via AFP to one of the affected workstations and the server reported that it was moving data well over 10MB/sec.

It's almost as if KMS isn't taking advantage of the resources available to it. Is anyone else experiencing these issues? If you are, can you provide some details regarding your configuration and network?

Our server is an Apple Xserve G5/2GHz DP with 3GB, running 10.3.9. It's connected to a 100BT port on our public network segment. A Vicomsoft Intergate NAT router/firewall separates our private network from where the mail server resides (all connected at 100BT).

I've already submitted a support request with Kerio, but I am curious to know what other admins are experiencing.

Thanks!!
-Lyle Millander
  •  
Lyle M

If anyone is curious. It's starting to look like something in one of the .cfg files is the culprit.

I built a clean KMS 6.1.2 server and it performed almost as well as the AMS server in IMAP attachment downloads. The test KMS server is a wimpy G4/733, so keeping up with AMS on an xServe G5/2300 DP is pretty good.

When I copied all the .cfg files from the live server to the test unit, the IMAP downloads slowed significantly. Restoring the original .cfg files returned the unit to its previous speed.

Comparing the mailserver.cfg files showed some interesting differences, but I won't get into that just now.

I think it's worthy of note that most of my .cfg files are the same ones from my original 6.0 beta installations. So, if anyone is running a KMS server that began life during the 6.0 beta and has not been totally clean installed since then, I am very interested to know if you're having any speed issues, or frequent IMAP errors.

Thanks!!
Lyle Millander
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

Can you send both configuration files to me (pdobry-at-kerio com)?
I would like to know the difference and why is IMAP so slow.
I'll keep them confidential.

Thanks.
  •  
Lyle M

e-mail is on the way.

Thanks for getting involved!

-Lyle
  •  
jeffleeismyhero

Is this what Entourage is giving you?

http://www.fireball3d.com/Entourage.jpg

Moderator: corrected URL

[Updated on: Sat, 17 December 2005 11:06] by Moderator

•  
Lyle M

Yes on the timeout errors. No on the -3231 errors.

Our speed issues were resolved by modifying the mailserver.cfg file. I will compile a list of the parameters that were changed and post them here soon.

Entourage errors were eliminated on some machines and greatly reduced on others just by fixing the config file.

Some of our users were actually being affected by obscure network problems. I shifted our topology to more of a star configuration, shut off STP (our topology change count was ridiculously high), and forced speed/duplex on some Mac/switch combinations. Those actions further reduced errors on the systems that were still experiencing them.

-Lyle
  •  
Lyle M

As promised, here are the parameters from the mailserver.cfg file that I changed:

TcpTimeout: 10 > 2
----------
SocketSleep: 8 > 0
----------
service-xxxx (most services changed from 0 to 120 with the exception of IMAP )
RecvTimeout: 0 > 120
SendTimeout: 0 > 120
----------
service-imap
RecvTimeout: 1800 > 120 (guessing this was the big one)
SendTimeout: 60 > 120

-Lyle
  •  
jeffleeismyhero

Since I have modified these values I have not seen one error in Entourage. Additionally, it seems to get my new email much quicker than before. Thanks a lot for the help!
  •  
Lyle M

Glad I could help. Fixing this has removed some angry monkeys from my back.

If anyone else finds these anomalies in their mailserver.cfg file, please post your results and any other pertinent details. If you test for performance changes in any other part of KMS (POP, KOC, HTTP, etc.) please post that as well.

It would also be helpful to know the platform on which you are running KMS and the version of your last virgin installation.

Best wishes,
Lyle Millander
  •  
Kenneth Whittaker (Kerio)

That is wierd your last message is dated Aug 2004. Anyways, in reply to the following message:

> I think it's worthy of note that most of my .cfg files are the
> same ones from my original 6.0 beta installations. So, if anyone
> is running a KMS server that began life during the 6.0 beta and
> has not been totally clean installed since then, I am very
> interested to know if you're having any speed issues, or frequent
> IMAP errors.

Yes, it is well known (but a little big forgotten as it has been some time and it is rare to find a customer from that era) that if anyone was on the old 6.0 beta releases, and upgraded since then, they need to do a fresh re-install.

Please, if you came from the 6.0-beta period PLEASE RE-INSTALL!!!

Thanks,
Ken
  •  
kurashige

lylehm wrote on Fri, 23 December 2005 22:59
As promised, here are the parameters from the mailserver.cfg file that I changed:

TcpTimeout: 10 > 2
----------
SocketSleep: 8 > 0
----------
service-xxxx (most services changed from 0 to 120 with the exception of IMAP )
RecvTimeout: 0 > 120
SendTimeout: 0 > 120
----------
service-imap
RecvTimeout: 1800 > 120 (guessing this was the big one)
SendTimeout: 60 > 120

-Lyle

What value shoud I change? Example from Timeout 2 change it to new timeout 10? and from RecvTimeout 120 change it to 0?
Is this correct?

Should I change the RecvTimeout and SendTimeout of SMTP, SMTP Secure and POP3 to 0 if the default value is 120? We are not using IMAP on our services. Please I need your advise. Thanks!

[Updated on: Mon, 26 April 2010 10:24]

•  
Lyle M

No Message Body

[Updated on: Mon, 26 April 2010 14:28]

•  
Lyle M

Wow. That was from version 6.1.2 from 5 years ago! Unless you haven't clean installed since installing beta-6, there's a good chance this doesn't apply.

If you want to rule out issues with your mailserver.cfg file, you can try comparing it to a clean cfg file from a virgin Kerio installation (on some test box). In case you've never done this, I recommend TextWrangler's "compare two front documents" command.

To answer your question, it says to change TcpTimeout from 10 to 2 (10 was the value in the beta-6.0 install, 2 was the value in the 6.1.2 clean install). SocketSleep changed from 8 to 10. service-xxxx meant to change all the services except imap, which had it's own values.

Ultimately, I think you may be looking in the wrong discussion. The real question is, what problems are you having? You might want to post a new discussion (with system details), or simply enter a support ticket with Kerio.

These days, most Kerio performance issues are traced back to slow (or dying) server hard drives or severe network problems.

Best of luck.
  •  
kurashige

ok thanks! i will post a new one for my problems. in case someone have a better solution.
kurashige

lyle one question though, the default SocketSleep at 6.7.2 is 0, what is this SocketSleep used for?
Previous Topic: Delayed messages and/or undeliverable mail (AOL etc)
Next Topic: Global Contacts is loosing contacts...
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Nov 19 04:21:04 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00564 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.