Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Dual internet connections, SMTP failover & two domains
  •  
si2001

Send a private message to this user
Sorry if this has been posted before... I have checked and couldn't find anything!

Background
We have a Cisco 1812 Router (with two WAN ports) which has a failover feature if one of the internet connections goes down, two Draytek Vigor 2800Gi ADSL routers and two ADSL accounts with different ISPs (both hosting different domains with SMTP feeds to the Draytek's respectively)

I want to use one of the ISP's as a backup for sending email/internet if our main ISP goes down (which it has been known to recently).

Can I setup Kerio to send email from our main domain and if it's not available to send via our backup ISP/domain name. If not can anyone point me in the direction to get it setup?

Thanks for your help in advanced!
  •  
jeffleeismyhero

You dont need two domains to do this. You simply need two MX records in your DNS entry.

For example:

mail.think-solutions.com. IN A 72.36.230.154
mail.fireball3d.com. IN A 72.36.241.8
fireball3d.com. IN MX 15 mail.think-solutions.com.
fireball3d.com. IN MX 30 mail.fireball3d.com.

The lower MX (15) works first. If mail.think-solutions.com goes down, then mail.fireball3d.com picks it up. Now, these two ips goto the same server which is exactly what you would be doing.

I can walk you through setting up the DNS if you need help, the server should only need both domains on it. They do not need to be different though. You can have mail1.domain.com and mail2.domain.com if you want.
  •  
si2001

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

Sorry if I sound stupid but...

When we send email to our ISP it goes to (example): smtp.our-ISP.com

If our ADSL connection is down to our ISP I would like to send/rceive email via our backup ISP smtp.backup-ISP.com
We don't host our own domain so the DNS is with our main ISP.

Would your MX method work if we lost our ADSL connection to our main ISP?
If it can then I can't see how, because how would the smtp.our-ISP.com work without a connection to our ISP

Thanks again for your help

•  
jeffleeismyhero

I'm a little confused about your setup.

Why are you sending mail through your ISP's SMTP server(s)? Are they blocking port 25?

If this is the case (it is for me at places) then you can get around this by adding another port to the SMTP server in KMS. You do this in Configuration -> Services -> SMTP -> Properties. Click add and type an open port (I use 26). Once you have done this you will set each mail client to send using port 26 in the SMTP server settings.

If you are not handeling your own DNS you can either ask your ISP to make changes (If they are willing to) or use one of the available services on the internet. A few are below. I have never used any of these services, however; if you cannot set up your own there isn't much you could do without them.

http://www.dnsmadeeasy.com/
http://www.xname.org/
http://www.godaddy.com

I am assuming that you have www.yourdomain.com going to your server with Kerio. It should get all of your email sent from the internet. By setting up the primary and secondary MX records this will cause the email to goto the secondary ISP if the primary is down.

I would need more information to tell you exactly what you need to do. If you would like to email me (jeff<_at_>fireball3d.com) I would be glad to help you.
  •  
si2001

No our ISP doesn't block port 25 but it does look after the DNS of our domain.

In Kerio I use smtp.eclipse.co.uk to send email which is what our ISP told me to use, isn't this the correct way to send email, what would you suggest we use?

If our internet connection stops working to our main ISP we can no longer receive email from them, so I want to have a second email domain setup to send/receive email from our backup ISP

Our ISP sends email to us on mail.ab-uk.com

I'm sorry if I'm being stupid but I'm trying to get my head round this problem. I really need some sort of backup email/internet if our main ISP stops working, which they did do recently hence me trying to sort out out a backup service

You really have been very kind replying and helping me figure this problem out, many thanks
Previous Topic: Auto Empty Junkmail for specific users?
Next Topic: 6.1.2
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Nov 21 01:49:22 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00434 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.