Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » No greeting from remote host
  •  
grzywacz

Send a private message to this user
I have seem to have several messages waiting in the queue with the status of:

'4.4.2 No greeting from remote host'

Anyone seen this or have any ideas?
  •  
sedell

That means that DNS located an address for the domain the message is being sent to. KMS connected, but didn't get a response. It's not a problem on your end. It could be an SMTP server or gateway that's either having problems or mis-configured.

Scott
  •  
grzywacz

That may be true, but very unlikely for all mailservers waiting to receive in that queue - manually telnetting to them produces a valid response (where and what does the 4.2.2 come from? - is that the version of fetchmail on the receiving end?)

Switching the SMTP to our ISP's mailserver and then re-sending the message gets though straight away - unlikely if it was mis-configured.

[Updated on: Thu, 22 December 2005 16:34]

•  
sedell

If it goes through your ISPs SMTP server (assuming it's not getting queued there), and you can manually telnet to the IP and get a greeting, that would indicate a problem for sure.

When you manually telnet to the remote SMTP server, are you using the IP address KMS used? Are you doing it from the KMS machine, or a desktop?

4.4.2 is the SMTP status code for a timeout if I remember correctly.

Scott
  •  
bperkins

Are you telnetting to them from the mailserver itself or from another computer? Sounds like a networking/firewall problem.
  •  
grzywacz

I am telnetting from the mailserver itself, but it does look like a rDNS issue, because the reverse lookup does not point to the hostname of the mailserver.
  •  
grzywacz

Got it sorted!,

It was indeed a firewall issue - the NAT was not working correctly, and I was seeing connections being made, but then terminated. Re-applying the rule seemded to sort it out. Thanks for everybody's help.
Previous Topic: I need feedback from current Kerio users
Next Topic: Of all times.
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Thu Nov 23 10:36:27 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00411 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.