Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Somewhat off topic - Verizon Wireless National Access
  •  
sedell

Send a private message to this user
Does anyone have any experience with Verizon Wireless National Access? We have an outside rep with a laptop who got himself this plan so he could use his laptop anywhere, and has been having trouble connecting since.

POP3 seems to work more or less as expected, but SMTP is very troublesome. In the SMTP debug logs on KMS, it appears that his machine:
a. can't establish a secure connection
b. doesn't communicate all SMTP commands all the time
c. sometimes doesn't wait for a greeting from the mailserver before issuing commands, which gets the connection bounced by the Spam Repellant
d. frequently closes/loses the connection before KMS issues a greeting

I'm having trouble finding the info I need online. I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with this service. If so, does it work for you with Outlook/KMS/KSP. I guess I'm trying to find out if it's a problem with installation/hardware, or if it's just the nature of how the service works.

Thanks,
Scott

Scott
  •  
jshel

I have a users that use a vpn through thier verizon card. Once the vpn is established they use smtp/pop3 with Outlook with no problems.

-Joe
  •  
sedell

That's interesting. What little I could find said VPN wouldn't work because of a required Venturi software, which seems to be for compression. Do your users hook up to their cell phones, or do they have a separate wireless device?

Scott
  •  
jshel

no they use thier laptops along with thier Verizon air cards and use a pptp vpn. In there settings in outlook I just give the server IP for both pop3 and smtp. I know pptp is not the greatest as vpn goes, but for now it works greate and gives better sequrity at airports vs. using plain smtp and pop3. I know that they start complaining to me when they use national access, lower speeds, and the overhead nature of vpn slows thier email down, but they are still able to work and do what they need to. The latency might be a bit higher using the national access which might explain your timeout and spam trouble? I also set up IP Address Groups with a vpn block of ip's in that way spam rules will no apply to a local connection. Ther server has no idea they are dailing in from Flordia and because it's vpn it treats it as a local connection.

-Joe
  •  
sedell

So you don't use the Venturi software? That'll make life easier. It seems that alone can cause a lot of problems. VPN would be nice too. I can see why users would complain about the speed, but as long as it's stable they can work. Right now he can't do much of anything. I'll experiment with the setup on the laptop once it gets in.

Thanks for the feedback.
Scott

Scott
Previous Topic: Any way to sync without outlook connector?
Next Topic: KMS 6.1.2 & Active Directory
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Nov 21 16:45:15 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00380 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.