Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Webmail: Need Tasks and collaboration Tutorial
  •  
uwer

Send a private message to this user
Hi, everyone.

Until recently, here at my company, we used KMS only as a POP3 server.
Now we would like to use Webmail in order to also make use of tasks, especially with several users collaborating.
After doing some tests, I have the feeling, I'm not getting it right.
Is there some sort of tutorial available that shows an example of the correct workflow?
In order for collaboration to work, do we need a public calendar and tasks folder?

I'd really appreciate any help you might be able to give me.
  •  
cohcon

If I understand you correctly, you're askeing about sharing calendars and folders.

This is a 2 step process.

1st, have the user sharing the folder right click on the folder to be shared and select "Access Rights", the add the username of the person or group that they want to grant access to.

Next, have the users wanting access to the shared folder right click on their username in the top left hand panel and select "Subscribe shared folders", and add the username of the person who shared the folders in step 1. The user should see a list of shared folders. They can check what they want and click "Ok".

An admin will have to share out the public folders...

•  
kschwab

doesn't sound like you are understanding him correctly - he asked about tasks. I have similar questions as we are implementing a task based system with delegation of tasks and having the delagates add data to the task to keep the delagator updated - we were hoping that the tasks could flow back and forthe several times as more information is added as the task nears completion. Far too lottle information available in the documentation. Any suggestions?
  •  
cohcon

You can do the same as I outlined in my previous post for sharing all folders, including tasks...

The owner of the shared tasks can grant the appropriate permissions to the users accessing the shared folder.

You can also create a shared tasks folder under Public Folders for your users as you can for mail, calendars, etc...

•  
uwer

Thanks a lot for your info, cohcon, thank you for your input, kschwab.

Let me try to make myself a little clearer.

This is why I'd like to find some sort of tutorial:
We all know, tasks with collaboration aren't as straightforward a process as putting some date into our personal calendar. There may be many stages involved until a task is completed, including delays, communication back and forth between the manager and the co-workers. Still everyone, at least the manager, has to be able to view the status all the time. It is probably easy to break that process by making mistakes.

I would like to know what happens to my tasks, to those of the co-workers, to public tasks (if those even need to be involved or myabe they must not be involved, who knows?), when a task is created, sent to co-workers and they choose to accept or decline it.
In which cases is it preferable to use a public folder?

When ist it preferable to use a shared personal folder? (I know, notifications don't work with public folders)

How can the status of a task be monitored by the creator?

Am I missing KMS opportunities/functionality, because I'm not using it the canonical way?
Am I going to run into problems in the future with my way of working because of the above reason?

This could all be found out I guess, by trial and error and I have tried some things without complete success. It's a time consuming (slow, frustrating) process in which you never know if you're getting anywhere because you might miss some little detail or might have made a mistake in the past that prevents the rest of your tests from working.
Even if I got it to work somehow, I'd never be sure if I'm doing it right.

If I am to use this feature for important stuff here at work, I need to know _exactly_ how it works and how it is meant to be used. I need to be able to explain the feature to other users, too.

Excuse my ignorance but I have not worked with any groupware environment before.

IMO, this just needs to be fleshed out in the manual with examples showing communication back and forth between managers and co-workers and the influence their actions have on their respective calendars/task folders.

I hope Kerio reads this and is able to shed some light on the issue.
  •  
sedell

It sounds like what you really need is some sort of project management system, like MS Project Server, or something similar. The Outlook task functionality is generally meant for much simpler things, like one step taks, and usually for an individual, not for something that's being worked on by a team.

Project management software will allow you to create multiple tasks for a project, assign them to different people, have tasks as prerequisits to be completed before other tasks, track user time on different parts of the project, and so on. That sound more like what you're looking for.
  •  
cohcon

I have to agree with Sedell on this. It sounds like you would be better served with a PM Suite.

I generally recommend dotProject for project management software and the ability to email updates to task or project members.

It's open source and can be a bear to set up, but it's hard to beat when it's up and running and can be used for web, extranet, or intranet.

If you're interested, you can get more info at http://www.dotproject.net/

Conn

•  
uwer

That dotproject does indeed look intersting. I'm going to look into it.

For now though, we're probably not going to roll out a new piece of software. Instead we'd like to use the functionality that KMS provides, which, the way I understand it, is on par with MS Outlook.

What I'd like to know is exactly what that functionality is and how it is supposed to be used so we can fully exploit the possibilities built into KMS. At the moment I'm under the impression we're not doing that.

Can anyone give an example of the steps necessary to use tasks with co-workers beyond whats in the manual?
What does happen to the co-workers tasks after he clicks accept/decline?
Do the tasks folders of managers and co-workers need to be shared with each other?
Is it more appropriate to create a public tasks folder for those purposes? (With the disadvantage of losing notification pop-ups)

I think the manual leaves you in the dark on many of the details of those questions. Again, IMO this should be made clearer or more verbose there.

Hope I'm not getting on your nerves, everyone ;-)
  •  
rschwab

Hi uwer,
We've just started implimenting tasks in web recently and have had some difficulty initially. It seems that the Kerio task methodology is for a creator to delegate, and update, a task. What we want is a collaborative method that would allow the delegate to update the creator, not just the other way around. We have found a work-around for this though.

When you create a task and delegate it, you select "add co-worker" (the delegate) and send to them. Once the delegate recieves the task invitation, and accepts it, a reply message is sent to the creator which then confirms, via a green check mark next to the co-worker's name, their acceptance.

At this point, the task belongs to the creator, but is being worked on by the delegate. The delegate cannot "update" the creator - only the creator can "update" the delegate. But here's the work-around: Once the delegate has accepted the task, they can add the creator as a co-worker too. Now when the delegate changes the task in any way, they can hit the "send update" button and the creator will receive, not an update, but an invitation to the updated task. If the creator accepts the task, it will be put into their task list (only one task will exist if the task name has not changed from the original). Now both the creator and the delegate are named as "co-workers" they can both update and send updates to eachother. Keep in mind that the "updates" comming from the delegate are actually invitations to tasks with the same name.

It gets a little messy with the auto addressed confirmation messages since the system assumes its the creator doing the updating and not the delegate, so you just have to be careful and check the recipiant's e-mail address before you hit send and change it to the creator. Otherwise you'll send yourself the update only!

Anyway, it's clunky but you can make it work - it just wasn't designed for this type of two-way collaboration.

Regards,
Previous Topic: someone please help!
Next Topic: Blackberry Sync Contacts & Calendar ...
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Nov 24 01:07:51 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00415 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.