Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Recover Data from a backup
  •  
bperkins

Send a private message to this user
I've never had to recover a complete user account from a backup until now. I want to double check to make sure I understand the manual correctly.

My Structure:

my store directory - /opt/kerio/mailserver/store
my backup directory - /backup/kms_backup/

I do not want to run the kmsrecover utility in order to overwrite my current store since I only need one user account. So, by reading the manual, I should be able to do this:

kmsrecover /backup/store /backup/kms_backup

and the recovered store from backup will go to the directory /backup/store

Then I can stop the kms service and move the appropriate user directory.

Is this correct?

Thanks,
BP
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

Important!

Brian, example in the manual is wrong!

The kmsrecover utility will recover store to the default location or to the current store. It retrieve correct store directory from configuration file mailserver.cfg. Default location (e.g. /opt/kerio/mailserver/store) will be used if there is no configuration file.

So, please be careful. Running kmsrecover will overwrite current message store. Please read instructions provided by 'kmsrecover -h' command.

I really appreciate your question. It helped us to locate a bug in the manual.
  •  
bperkins

Thanks for your reply Pavel!

So, there is no way to redirect the recovered store to another location rather than overwriting your current store using the kmsrecover utility?

I guess I need to copy my installation over to a test machine and run the kmsrecover utility. Then retrieve the user's account that way.

Thanks Pavel, I really appreciate it.

Brian
  •  
jeffleeismyhero

You could stop the server, change the path in the config file then run kmsrecover.
Once this has been done you can change it back and start the server.

Of course I have not tested this but based on that Pavel stated it should work.

Good luck.
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

jeffleeismyhero wrote on Tue, 17 January 2006 07:11

You could stop the server, change the path in the config file then run kmsrecover.
Once this has been done you can change it back and start the server.

Of course I have not tested this but based on that Pavel stated it should work.

Good luck.

Well, it will not work. I forgot to mention that the path to store directory is extracted from mailserver.cfg file which is located in the backup archive itself.
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

We are working on more admin-friendly recovery process that will allow to recover only selected domains, users or folders. So, please stay tuned.
  •  
cohcon

Brian, you can still extract the backup file to the file system, stop the mailserver, and either overwrite or add the files to the users inbox #msgs folder, then restart the mailserver.

It will complain in the logs about a bad messege uid, but will work after it reindexes the messages.

You can force this by removing the index.fld file from the user's inbox folder and restarting the server.

This method is brute force and not graceful at all, but effective...

•  
Zakk

well, when the path where the messages will be restored is taken from the archive config file, try this:

- stop the mailserver
- rename the current maildir (eg. from <maildata> -> <maildata actual>)
- run restore -> old maildata will be restored to the path in config files
- rename the maildir from <maildata> to <maildata from backup>
- rename <maildata actual> to <maildata>
(- copy needed maildata to user accont)

- start mailserver

[Updated on: Wed, 18 January 2006 18:45]

•  
bperkins

Thanks guys for the suggestions, I really appreciate it.

I went ahead and copied the backup files to a test server. I was able to recover the account just fine. I went ahead and did it on a test server, so downtime would be none.

All went as planned. I'm glad that I did create the topic though. Pavel saved me. Reading the manual, I "assumed" you could put in a different path to the store so it wouldn't overwrite your active store. That would have been a nightmare.

Thanks for all the help!
Brian
  •  
erik.smith

Any timeframe on when a more user friendly (GUI) Recovery Utility will be developed?

Kerio_pdobry wrote on Tue, 17 January 2006 04:36

We are working on more admin-friendly recovery process that will allow to recover only selected domains, users or folders. So, please stay tuned.

•  
johnpowell

Has this GUI Recovery tool been implemented yet?. I could have really done with it this morning.
Previous Topic: Stopping Kerio Mail Re-indexing
Next Topic: yahoo mail delayed, error 451
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Nov 20 14:49:43 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00756 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.