Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » How does Kerio handle 4-6GB mailboxes?
  •  
Dave_Pooser

Send a private message to this user
I'm currently running CommuniGate Pro, and I'm not happy with either the company or the lack of Mac groupware support; Kerio might be a solution. The problem is my server has a bunch of ridiculous users-- IMAP accounts with one or two folders containing 1+GB and a total disk usage of 4-6GB. Multiply that by 100 users and you have a scalability challenge. Individual emails often have attachments in the 30MB range (despite my best efforts to get people using FTP) and 100MB+ emails are not unheard of.

Yes, I recognize that I'm abusive to my mail server, and I should probably seek therapy.

Is anybody out there using Kerio with folders/mailboxes/messages of that size? Any problems encountered? I'm currently running on an Xserve dual 2GHz with mail stores on an Xserve RAID 5. Clients are mostly Entourage 11.2.1 with some Windows clients using Outlook or Thunderbird.

--
Dave Pooser
  •  
jeffleeismyhero

Being a former CGP user I know what you mean. I have some good news and some bad news though.

Currently, the conversion of your users from CGP to KMS is a tedious process... be prepared to wait a while for mail to move over IMAP if you want to keep things as correct as possible.
*** YES there is a conversion utility but it is no where near perfect ***

In CGP I had user accounts reaching 2GB and this caused problems. In KMS I have never seen/heard of any such problems. There are 2 users on my server with ~ 3GB of mail.

I personally send messages (locally and remote) with attachments over 20 MB in size. The largest ever being 35 MB. Other than the upload time (blame goes to home isp) I did not see any problems with large attachments through Entourage at least.

My archive folders are about 2 GB each and I have three months worth so that closely matches your situation. I have no problems with that account either.

The only big downside to KMS (which doesn't currently apply to you) in terms of scalability is that it cannot be clustered like CGP.

You should also note the following:
---BAD---
Webmail not as customizable (due to update issues)
ClamAV not supported
SpamAssassin built in so some loss of neat features found in applications like CGPSA

---GOOD---
Mac groupware features
Integrated antivirus (plus the option of more than one)
Works with open directory
Niffy features like drag and drop/right click in webmail
SPAM LEARNING from webmail and desktop clients
Viewing mail (1000's per page) in KMS webmail is faster (or seems faster) than in CGP
Built in backup and archiving features (with notification)
  •  
HidS

Not really answering your question but 100mb+ emails?!?!?!?!

Why not just put a limit on attachment sizes (which u can do easily with KMS)?

It can't be good for all other email amd web users if people are sending emails of that ilk!!!

Maybe it'd be better to have 2 broadband connections, one for email (so u never have blockages and everyone gets mail quickly) and one for FTP?
  •  
Dave_Pooser

> Not really answering your question but 100mb+ emails?!?!?!?!

> Why not just put a limit on attachment sizes (which u can do easily with KMS)?

I could easily do it with CGPro too-- but I don't, because I think job one is to be able to receive even stupid emails from clients and vendors.

I've always figured I can spend time educating users, but my doing so involves my still being employed, which means that first and foremost things have to just work as expected. We can talk about there being a better way, but it's my job to make sure even the sub-optimal ways work. If I can't make it happen, there are plenty of folks out there who are willing to take my job and give it a try.

--
Dave Pooser
  •  
jeffleeismyhero

In CGP you can set the number of processes for processing incoming and outgoing email. So a large email(s) does not hold up the rest of the messages.
  •  
HidS

Good point that.

I always find it hard to draw the line between teaching/forcing users the 'correct and sensible' way of doing things and letting them do what they want.

It's even harder cos most users are clueless.

Saying that, u must be in some sort of graphic or multimedia company to have such large file sizes and I don't think it's too much to say, listen, 100 mb+ attachments aren't a good idea, use the ftp server. It's more efficient for everyone, senders and recipients.

I work for a design company and we have a factory and staff in China. I've just set up a FTP server and people find it so much easier to file and store/upload/dload files to this than finding stuff in emails. With the China side of our business dloading files from the ftp server in a totally different time zone, there are no consequences to our internet bandwidth during our workday.

All i can say is good luck to you and download the demo and have a go.
  •  
jeffleeismyhero

One thing that Kerio lacks is personal webspace (CGP has this but it isn't very nice). It would be nice to have this integrated into Kerio so that users could upload files to their own space and have the option of making them public. Then possibly allowing certain email addresses to post files to that space...
  •  
HidS

Er yeah, that sounds fantastic.

I didn't even know that kind of thing was available...

Webspace thing and mind-numbingly fast KOC please, Kerio people!
  •  
Kerio_ktrumbull

If you wish to have a "webspace" type of functionality, either create a public mail folder, then send messages with the files you wish to make public as attachments to that folder.

Or have the users create a specific folder in their account, send themselves emails with the attachments, then share that folder.

Kevin Trumbull
Kerio Technical Support Team Leader
http://support.kerio.com
  •  
jeffleeismyhero

The idea here is to avoid using email protocals for large files. Additionally, anyone without an account on the server would not be able to view the public folders correct?

What I was talking about was something more like a java applet that would enable a user to upload via ftp through the webmail interface. Then possibly having a public upload where users could upload files "to" an existing user on the server.

IE:

Joe Schmoe (jschmoe<_at_>gmail.com) wants to send Joshua Smith (jsmith<_at_>kerioserver.com) a large file. Joe Schmoe (after instruction) logs on to upload.kerioserver.com and submits a file (via java ftp applet) to use jsmith<_at_>kerioserver.com. It would also be nice if there was the option to only allow public (users not on kerioserver.com) uploads with a password (created by the local user).
Previous Topic: How to reject connections from IP without reverse DNS entry?
Next Topic: Problem: Outlook 2003 "Can't Open Item"
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Nov 19 13:34:06 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00503 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.