Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Control » Maximum Internet Line Speed
  •  
miro

Send a private message to this user
hi, my Q. is about maximum internet line speed.

Is it truth, that max. speed shoud be 4 Mbit, on faster lines you can not receive more than 4 Mbit IN traffic?

I am asking because we plan to upgrade line and its Q. if KWF will be able to handle e.g. 10 Mbit line.

dependency on HW please do not discuss, my HW is not problem (very fast)

thanks for any experiences or A.

Confused
  •  
iorgu

hi
i have 100 mbps fiber-optic connection and the max speed was 6-6.5 mbytes/second (appx 50mbps), ussualy for p2p connections.
but limitation is because i have slow processor (sempron 2400+, 1024Mb RAM). at this speed i have 100% cpu utilisation.

in one week i get an intel 630 processor, so i expect more bandwith output...
  •  
Kerio_jthomas

Hi,

You will find this true in many cases.

First, you will never get 100mbps on an advertised 100mbps line; you will lose some because of TCP/IP packet overhead. You could expect 75-80mpbs at best, in my experience.

Second, bandwidth is limited because the firewall must examine every single packet that you are sending. If you have many traffic policies, or ISS/Cobion filter, or antivirus, there is even more inspection being done.

Addtitional CPU will definately help you, but do not expect to get 100mbps from your line =)

Joshua Thomas
Technical Support Manager
2350 Mission College Blvd, Suite 400
Santa Clara, CA 95054
Phone: (408) 496-4500
Fax: (408) 496-6902
http://www.kerio.com/support.html

•  
toytown

On one of our servers which is dedicated to the firewall we typically see

15-20% CPU usage for approx 3mbits of continious traffic (2out 1in), as the server is connected to the internet on a Gbits per second port, then you can see that as we scale up to more connections, were going to be having problems.

Typical load is 2mbits outgoing, 1mbits incomming, and approx 1000 connections in the firewall (although some of these will be idling).

Server is a win2003 standard server
2GB ram
76GB SCSI
a64 3000+

•  
shalimar

hi,
i think its not like what u said, for instance at first i had a speed of 2Mbps and then now i upgraded the speed , when i check the speed http://www.ip-details.com/internet-speed-test/ now it comes to around 10Mbps but i didnt change the physical connection

[Updated on: Fri, 20 November 2009 07:42]

•  
winkelman

We have a 50mbit fiber connection (up & down) and KWF has no problem is actually using that bandwidth. That's with all processing and AV scanning turned on.
Previous Topic: Throughput too low
Next Topic: Configure Kerio for this scenario
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Nov 19 00:31:11 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00471 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.