Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Server Timeout Errors
  •  
DXB Law

Send a private message to this user
Hello, I am running KMS 6.1.2 on a G4 mac (OS 10.4.2) that is physically situated somewhere in the United States. My office is in the United Arab Emirates, where we have about 15 users configured. Three users are Mac users; the rest are Windows users.

Since about ten days ago, our office has been experiencing problems with mail server connectivity. The Mac users (running Mail) are getting the following error message:

There may be a problem with the mail server or network. Check the settings for account "IMAP Account" or try again.

The server error encountered was: The connection to the server "mail.xxx.ae" on port 0 timed out.

We get similar messages if trying to connect to accounts configured for POP3 access or as Exchange accounts.

If we try to access KMS using an Entourage client, then we can connect and send/receive mail; however, we frequently get an error message when trying to send mail indicating that the server was busy or the connection dropped out. Usually, just hitting send a second time will resolve this in Entourage.

Our Windows users (running Outlook) get sporadic "unable to connect to the server" error messages.

There are two odd things about this: (1) we get none of these errors when trying to connect to our mail server from a remote location (for example, using my PowerBook from my home, a Wi-Fi hotspot or anywhere else). Connection is just fine, but the same PowerBook gets the error messages when connecting from within the office. (2) even inside the office, we don't get these error messages trying to connect to other mail servers (for example mac.com or verizon.net). The first point makes me think the problem lies with our office network; the second point makes me think the problem lies with KMS.

I was initially trying to track this issue down via the Mac forums thinking it was a Mail or OS X issue (because I can use Entourage but not Mail), but now that my Windows users are complaining, I am beginning to think the issue is with the network or with KMS or with both.

Does anybody have ideas?
  •  
DXB Law

Where is the .cfg file located in OS X? I tried to search for it using Spotlight but I can't find it. I remember finding it once before, but I don't remember where.

Thanks.
  •  
Kerio_ktrumbull

You must be logged in as the root user (not the admin user) in order to see any of the cfg files.

Kevin Trumbull
Kerio Technical Support Team Leader
http://support.kerio.com
  •  
sonofcolin

/usr/local/kerio/mailserver/ is the default location
  •  
DXB Law

Well I managed to find the cfg file but editing it didn't help.
  •  
Kerio_ktrumbull

DXB Law wrote on Wed, 01 February 2006 10:44

Well I managed to find the cfg file but editing it didn't help.

The MailServer must be stopped before any of the configuration files are manually edited. So stop the MailServer, make your edits to the cfg file, and start the MailServer again.

Kevin Trumbull
  •  
DXB Law

I duplicated the mailserver.cfg file; saved it under a new name (like newmailserver.cfg) edited it, then stopped Kerio Mail Server, changed the name of the existing file to oldmailserver.cfg, changed the new file to mailserver.cfg and then restarted KMS.

Shouldn't that work?

•  
Kerio_ktrumbull

No, because the configuration files are used by the MailServer while it is running, they are loaded into memory. Any changes made in the GUI are not written to disk until the MailServer is stopped, which is why you need to stop the MailServer before you edit the file, or make a copy of the file.

Kevin Trumbull
  •  
DXB Law

I finally got around to learning how to log in as root user and edit my mailserver.cfg file and what do you know, it worked. Problem solved.

Thanks to all.
  •  
kurashige

lylehm wrote on Fri, 23 December 2005 22:59
As promised, here are the parameters from the mailserver.cfg file that I changed:

TcpTimeout: 10 > 2
----------
SocketSleep: 8 > 0
----------
service-xxxx (most services changed from 0 to 120 with the exception of IMAP )
RecvTimeout: 0 > 120
SendTimeout: 0 > 120
----------
service-imap
RecvTimeout: 1800 > 120 (guessing this was the big one)
SendTimeout: 60 > 120

-Lyle

What value shoud I change? Example from Timeout 2 change it to new timeout 10? and from RecvTimeout 120 change it to 0?
Is this correct?

Should I change the RecvTimeout and SendTimeout of SMTP, SMTP Secure and POP3 to 0 if the default value is 120? We are not using IMAP on our services. Please I need your advise. Thanks!
Previous Topic: Slow performance
Next Topic: SMTP Greeting Delay
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Oct 22 13:58:32 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00509 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.