Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Forthcoming Entourage update & Kerio MailServer
  •  
andy.korn

Send a private message to this user
Hi first post here, sorry if If i repeat any common knowledge on these boards!

We are just about to move our small mac-based office to Kerio Mail Server having played with the demo and being very impressed. However I have read that there is a update for Entourage coming soon that will allow Tiger's spotlight to index Entourage data, as well as provide iSync compatability to handhelds.

http://www.macnn.com/articles/06/01/10/ms.entourage.update/

Now there are some users in our office who would love this functionality, but I'm a bit worried that migrating to Kerio will mean we won't get this.... as our Entourage data won't be on the local machine anymore.

So my questions are;

a) will Kerio be able to (or have plans to) integrate this functionality?
b) if not is there a way to at least duplicate contacts on the local machine automatically so they can be indexed and synced? (maybe rules?)
c) as a general rule is it best to wait for Kerio to provide updates to the mail server software before applying any Entourage updates? People in our office have a habit of just 'ok-ing' any updates that come through! And in the past how quickly have Kerio managed to update their software after Microsoft does?

Thanks in advance for any responses! :)
  •  
himo

I don?t know something about Spotlight,
but we are using KMS with Entourage 11.2.1 and a little tool named e2sync

http://www.e2sync.com

This tool synchronize everything from Entourage (even hosted Adressbook and Calendar) with Apple Adressbook.app and iCal.app.
It works within isync, so we can sync everything to an isync compatible device.

And when you have everything in Adressbook an iCal you can search it with Spotlight.

Regards

himo
  •  
Lyle M

Hi Andy.Korn,

Here are my best-guess answers for you:

a-b) If you set up Entourage 2004 in Exchange mode with KMS, you do have the option to download the entire message into your local database. IMAP can do this too, but you won't get the same level of calendar and contact syncing.
It's unlikely that adding the ability to hot-sync through an iSync conduit will have any affect on Entourage's ability to sync with KMS via an Exchange type account. I doubt Kerio will have to make any changes to support these new Entourage features.

c) As a general rule, you should not let users update Entourage (or most any software for that matter) until you have validated the update in your environment. If your users have admin level access to their machines for some reason, you can limit their ability to update by removing the Microsoft AutoUpdate application, or at least configuring to only check for updates manually.

c2) The recent Entourage update to sp2 did break Exchange type connections with KMS. There was a period of several weeks before KMS was updated to handle sp2.

Hope this was helpful.

Regards,
Lyle Millander
  •  
andy.korn

Thanks Himo and Lyle for your replies.

I'm certainly intrigued to know how Spotlight is going to work with Entourage; as I understand it, it has always been said that it wouldn't work because of the structure of the Entourage database. Seems to me this will have to be a major update, possibly changing the entire datbase format as we know it now.

Do Kerio themselves get advance information from Microsoft as to their plans, or is it a case of they only find out when the update comes out?

[Updated on: Tue, 07 February 2006 11:51]

•  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

We are analyzing changes in this update and compatibility with KMS.
At this moment, I cannot confirm that KMS is fully compatible.

Unfortunately, Microsoft Mac BU does not send to us any information in advance.
  •  
himo

I installed the update this night, and everything works fine for me.
I got an iSync compatible Mobile Phone, an everything from my "own" Exchange Account is syncing with my phone.
The public Folders like public calendar or public contacts are not synced out of the box, but with a small hack everything works.
We are working with KMS on Linux, so I made a symbolic link in my directory to the public calendar, and voila, I could choose this calendar in the entourage settings to sync.

Regards

himo

•  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

himo wrote on Wed, 15 March 2006 11:59

We are working with KMS on Linux, so I made a symbolic link in my directory to the public calendar, and voila, I could choose this calendar in the entourage settings to sync.

I should warn you that you may seriously damage message store by these hacks which may lead to data loss. Our technical support will not be able to help you in such case. Don't do this.
  •  
himo

Kerio_pdobry wrote on Wed, 15 March 2006 13:06

I should warn you that you may seriously damage message store by these hacks which may lead to data loss. Our technical support will not be able to help you in such case. Don't do this.

I?m sure that I will do this on my own risk ;)

Thanks for your reply

regards

himo

•  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

We finished all tests and no issues were found.
Entourage 2004 SP2 11.2.3 update is fully supported by KMS 6.1.2 and higher.
  •  
andy.korn

Thanks for the update!
Previous Topic: Store emails locally ?
Next Topic: How can change user name?
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Nov 25 02:49:18 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00449 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.