Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Moving email folders from one user to another?
  •  
JerkyChew

Send a private message to this user
Hi, I was wondering if there's documentation on how to do this.

I'm migrating a user from our old Cyrus IMAP box to our new Kerio box, running on Red Hat Linux. He has a TON of mail - 4GB, over 15K messages in the inbox alone - And I'd like to move the core folders over before I reconfigure his account.

The issue is, I can't create his new accouny ahead of time, because if anybody that's already on the new server tries to email him, it will only go to the new server. (The old server is a bit of a kludge, and the amount of time it would take to set up forwarding isn't worth it)

What I'd like to do is one of the following:

Option A) Create subfolders in my account, and using Outlook, copy the folders from his existing old account to those folders. Then, when the time comes, set up his new account and move the folders to that account on the backend over a terminal window. But do I have to do something to get these folders to show back up? So far I haven't had much success with this route.

Option B) Set up a new user called Joe2, for example. Migrate as much data into that account ahead of time using Outlook. Then when it's time to go live, rename joe2 as joe. I've tried this once before by doing some voodoo with some user config files, but could never get it to work. I found no possible way to do this via the admin console.

I'd prefer Option B, because after the date is over there it's just a matter of renaming some settings. I just haven't had any luck doing this. What do you guys suggest, and are there any HOWTO's on either method?

Thanks!
Matt

[Updated on: Fri, 10 February 2006 23:14]

•  
d

Send a private message to this user
A suggestion could be to try:

-Setting up the new account on the server
-Setting up the account as an additional account for that person. Thus, they have two IMAP accounts.
-Transfer your mailboxes by dragging and dropping in the person's email client.

Not elegant, or 'behind the scene'. But very simple.

I ran some tests, and it works fine on a small scale... A little clunky for 4Gb, so do it out-of-hours if you can!

Hope that helps,
Cheers,
Derek
Previous Topic: Slightly OT: Forums do not refresh with latest info
Next Topic: Migrating from OS X 10.4 Mail server to Kerio Mail server
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Nov 22 10:29:54 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00335 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.