Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » SPAM reporting via Outlook/Entourage
  •  
cwachs

Send a private message to this user
Is it possible to train the SPAM filter via Outlook or Entourage? If I drag a message that should have been reported as SPAM into the "Junk Mail" folder, does that train the SPAM filter??

-----------
Server installation:
Kerio Connect 7.1
OS X Server 10.5.8
Apple G4 X Serve
  •  
Kerio_ktrumbull

cwachs wrote on Fri, 10 February 2006 18:41

Is it possible to train the SPAM filter via Outlook or Entourage? If I drag a message that should have been reported as SPAM into the "Junk Mail" folder, does that train the SPAM filter??

That is correct. When using an IMAP client, dragging a message from a folder to the Junk Email folder will mark that message as spam and train the Bayesian filter. Also moving a message from the Junk Email folder will also tell the Bayesian filter that the message is not spam.

Kevin Trumbull
Kerio Technical Support Team Leader
http://support.kerio.com
  •  
linuxbox

That is correct. When using an IMAP client, dragging a message from a folder to the Junk Email folder will mark that message as spam and train the Bayesian filter. Also moving a message from the Junk Email folder will also tell the Bayesian filter that the message is not spam.[/quote]

So, what if the Filter Status for bayesian filter is, "Active" ?
if using outlook i mark a message as spam will the bayesian filter still learn from that message when it's in the "Active" state??
can you "reset" the bayesian filter and have it start from ground zero again?
  •  
Anonymous
If the status of the Bayesian filter is "Active" then it has learned enough messages and is filtering the incoming emails.
You are still training the spam filter when you mark a message in Outlook as Spam. The Bayesian filter is always learning no matter what the status is set to.
You can reset the Bayesian spam filter by doing the following:

Stop KMS,
Rename the spamassassin folder in the store directory to spamassassin.old,
Run the KMS installer,
Start KMS.
  •  
linuxbox

ok, sounds good. but i was testing with outlook 2007 and moved a message from my inbox to the junk e-mail folder and went to check the statistics page in KMS admin and it stayed at 342, where it was before i moved it to the junk e-mail folder. should that not increase by one when i move an email? not sure how outlook talks to KMS to let it know that a message was spam.
  •  
Kerio_ktrumbull

I would like to clarify something, when the Bayes filter is in Active state, it means that it has seen enough messages to start filtering, but it still needs constant training. The more messages that it sees (aka the more training you do), the more accurate the filter will become.

Quote:

ok, sounds good. but i was testing with outlook 2007 and moved a message from my inbox to the junk e-mail folder and went to check the statistics page in KMS admin and it stayed at 342, where it was before i moved it to the junk e-mail folder. should that not increase by one when i move an email? not sure how outlook talks to KMS to let it know that a message was spam.

Move the message, then take a look at the spam log. Do you see an entry like 'User xxx moved a message from the Inbox to the Junk Email folder...'? If so, the filter was trained. The filter statistics may not be updated in real time (although I thought they were).

If not, double check that you have subscribed to the Junk Email folder from within Outlook, so that when you move a message to that folder, it moves it on the server.

If you move a message and do not see the corresponding entry in the spam log, login to the Webmail interface and view the Junk Email folder. If you do not see the newly moved message, something was configured wrong with the mail client.

Kevin Trumbull
Kerio Technical Support Team Leader
http://support.kerio.com
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

linuxbox wrote on Mon, 26 February 2007 18:16

but i was testing with outlook 2007 and moved a message from my inbox to the junk e-mail folder and went to check the statistics page in KMS admin and it stayed at 342, where it was before i moved it to the junk e-mail folder. should that not increase by one when i move an email?

The counter is updated periodically every few minutes, not with every trained message.
  •  
linuxbox

Kerio_ktrumbull wrote on Mon, 26 February 2007 11:35

I would like to clarify something, when the Bayes filter is in Active state, it means that it has seen enough messages to start filtering, but it still needs constant training. The more messages that it sees (aka the more training you do), the more accurate the filter will become.

Move the message, then take a look at the spam log. Do you see an entry like 'User xxx moved a message from the Inbox to the Junk Email folder...'? If so, the filter was trained. The filter statistics may not be updated in real time (although I thought they were).

If not, double check that you have subscribed to the Junk Email folder from within Outlook, so that when you move a message to that folder, it moves it on the server.

If you move a message and do not see the corresponding entry in the spam log, login to the Webmail interface and view the Junk Email folder. If you do not see the newly moved message, something was configured wrong with the mail client.

i checked the spam log and didn't find the text, "Junk Email folder" anywhere. my email client is configured with the KMS as a typical pop3 and smtp server which i guess supports IMAP as well in the outlook settings.
this is a default outlook setup from office 2007. i'll try to find out how to "subscribe" to the junk e-mail folder as i'm uncertain on that!
thanks!
  •  
linuxbox

got it!!
account was set to POP3 and not IMAP!!! DOH!
thanks!
Previous Topic: Daylight Savings Time change
Next Topic: Problem with Active Directory Integration W2003 R2
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Nov 24 12:21:28 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00463 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.