Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Horrible MAPI Performance
  •  
Achromatic

Send a private message to this user
On a very lightly (none at all) loaded Dual Xeon 2.8, with 2gb of memory:

Start in a MAPI folder with ~100 messages. Change to a folder with ~300 messages.

It takes /40 seconds/ on a LAN to load that folder in Outlook 2003 SP1.

Switch back to the other folder, another /20/ seconds.

Switch back to the first, another /40/ seconds.

Is there any caching? Any way to increase this horrible and unusable performance?

The same server, running CG Pro 5, on the same folders, took about the same time first time it read the folders, and from then on was near instant.

Any help gratefully appreciated, because we can't work with the server being that slow.

Update: Even worse. Regular timeouts. Outlook freezing completely trying to do things as simple as "Mark All As Read" in a mail folder with as few as ten items in it.

This is with the server above, a client with 2gb of memory, and the server loaded with 5 POP3 users and 1 MAPI user. There is something seriously wrong that the Outlook Connector is /this/ slow. I'm seriously reconsidering moving this back to CommuniGate. :(

[Updated on: Sun, 12 February 2006 12:37]

•  
cwachs

Not good to hear. I am evaluating Kerio as a replacement for CGP 5 due to MAPI performance on CGP. I have not had time to really test performance yet but I have a few users with over 4 gigs of data that they store on the server (basically users with 6 years of stored data, calendars, etc).

-----------
Server installation:
Kerio Connect 7.1
OS X Server 10.5.8
Apple G4 X Serve
  •  
Achromatic

On the plus side? IMAP speed is stellar. The webmail client is gorgeous.

Just please, please, please... give us a MAPI connector which implements some sort of local caching!
  •  
cwachs

Do you find IMAP speed faster than CGP IMAP??

I am looking at using the Kerio Sync Plugin as a possible alternative. You don't get the other nice features of MAPI but you get off-line... I have one user in particular that has over 6 gigs of "stuff' stored on my CGP server and he uses 4 or 5 different computers all with Oulook on them. He uses MAPI on CGP to keep everything syncronized across all the Outlook machines (as you would with Exchange) but it is so SLOW. He really cares about syncing mail folders, contacts and calendars...

Chad

-----------
Server installation:
Kerio Connect 7.1
OS X Server 10.5.8
Apple G4 X Serve
  •  
Kerio_jthomas

Hi,

Something is wrong with your setup or client. This is atypical and abnormal behavior. No other clients experience this.

I assume that:

* Your server and client are on the same LAN (KOC is bandwith heavy and should not be used over an internet connection);

* Your server and client are fully patched in the operating system;

* You do not have any other major services (eg webserver, file server, mailing list server) running on the KMS server;

* Your Outlook 2003 SP1 client machine has at least 256MB of RAM and a 1GHZ processor;

* You server is running one of our antivirus plugins, or none at all (ie you should be not using any antivirus program at all unless it is supported by us);

* You do not have any content processing devices (firewalls, bandwith shapers etc.) between the client and the server.

If all this is true, go to http://support.kerio.com and submit a ticket, so we can look at your setup and help you out.

Cheers,
Joshua Thomas

Joshua Thomas
Technical Support Manager
2350 Mission College Blvd, Suite 400
Santa Clara, CA 95054
Phone: (408) 496-4500
Fax: (408) 496-6902
http://www.kerio.com/support.html

•  
Achromatic

Thanks for the response! Some good thinking points here, which might explain some of the issues I'm having.

* Your server and client are on the same LAN (KOC is bandwith heavy and should not be used over an internet connection);

Okay, this may be one source of issue... I am running over the Internet - I have a 10mbps downstream channel (and a server/connection that is capable of sustained saturation of that link), but only a 256kbps backstream (client -> server)

* Your server and client are fully patched in the operating system;

Correct. RedHat Enterprise Linux 4, fully patched, and Windows XP SP2, Office 2003 SP2

* You do not have any other major services (eg webserver, file server, mailing list server) running on the KMS server;

There is a webserver, but I truly do not believe that would be an issue (ie the server is a Dual Xeon with 2GB of RAM, but would serve less than 100 requests a day - effectively no load)

* Your Outlook 2003 SP1 client machine has at least 256MB of RAM and a 1GHZ processor;

Correct, Pentium M 1.86GHz, 2GB RAM.

* You server is running one of our antivirus plugins, or none at all (ie you should be not using any antivirus program at all unless it is supported by us);

Okay, possible problem - I do have Sophos installed on the server, but it is version 3 (ie libsavi.so.3), not 2 as the default template suggests. I shall change this.

* You do not have any content processing devices (firewalls, bandwith shapers etc.) between the client and the server.

IP Tables based firewall on the server, but all ports that I know of as being necessary are open. (Are there any additional ports that might be non-obvious?)

Thanks for your thoughts... I shall look at some of these things and see if I can get any better responsiveness.
  •  
winkelman

I've checked here:
Outlook/KOC took 9 seconds to load a mailfolder with ~1250 messages the first time. After this, switching to another folder and back again was instanteneous.

So performance can be a lot better than what you're experiencing.
Previous Topic: error in webmail
Next Topic: Creating Mail Filter on Mail Header
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Thu Nov 23 10:35:34 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00488 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.