Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » How to rename a user account
  •  
averyb

Send a private message to this user
I'm changing naming conventions for email accounts from "jdoe" to "john.doe" at my company.

I am going to be moving Kerio to a new server shortly, so I thought this would be the ideal time to finish thigns up. Up to now, only new users got the new naming convention.

The Admin Console doesn't allow this type of change.

Is there a way to hack the .cfg files to make this happen or a process where I can copy contents from one mailbox to another.

Part of me says I could create the new user account on the new server according to the new naming conventions, and then jsut copy the contents of each users' folder to the new server and be done with it.

Any suggestions?

•  
winkelman

If you delete an account, Admin Console will ask you what to do with the mail store for that user. Delete it, leave it or move it to another user. So you could create the other user, then delete the old one with the store being moved to the new user. I suppose this then ends up as a subfolder structure of the new user, but that could be dragged-droppen to rearrange it back to normal.

Still, a lot of work.

It would indeed be a lot easier if there were some way to 'rename' a users account.
  •  
Kerio_ktrumbull

The user must be logged out of their account before you do the following.

Create the new user in the Admin Console, go to the store directory and remove the folder that was created for the new user (if the folder exists). Simply rename the folder for the old user to the new username. When a user logs into their account, the mail server simply looks for a folder that matches the username they entered. If one exists it give the user that mail, if the folder does not exist, the mail server creates a new folder structure for the user.

Kevin Trumbull
Kerio Technical Support Team Leader
http://support.kerio.com
  •  
Zakk

dont forget to set up an alias for the old adress :)

•  
mark.landon

Can you tell me where on our Linux server I would find the store directory?

Mark Landon
Euro Commercials
  •  
Kerio_ktrumbull

By default the store directory on a Linux install would be located at:

/opt/kerio/mailserver/store/

You can also look this information up within the Administration Console by going to Configuration -> Advanced Options -> Store Directory.

Kevin Trumbull
Kerio Technical Support Team Leader
http://support.kerio.com
  •  
Mara

Hallo,

I renamed the user as your briefing:

Create the new user in the Admin Console, go to the store directory and remove the folder that was created for the new user (if the folder exists). Simply rename the folder for the old user to the new username. When a user logs into their account, the mail server simply looks for a folder that matches the username they entered. If one exists it give the user that mail, if the folder does not exist, the mail server creates a new folder structure for the user.

The result is by connecting with outlook 2003 this report:
The container can't be indicated. the container can't contain elements. May be this is a constriction of the imap server.
To built a container, which shall contain elements, don't add the " / " to the name.

What can I do?
Kind regards

•  
blackbox

Mara wrote on Mon, 06 November 2006 17:24

Hallo,

I renamed the user as your briefing:

The result is by connecting with outlook 2003 this report:
The container can't be indicated. the container can't contain elements. May be this is a constriction of the imap server.
To built a container, which shall contain elements, don't add the " / " to the name.

What can I do?
Kind regards

Curious...

How did you end up solving this issue?
  •  
macparamedic

Kerio_ktrumbull wrote on Thu, 16 February 2006 08:48
The user must be logged out of their account before you do the following.

I have a user who has changed her name (she married).

She is using Outlook 2011 on a Mac configured as an Exchange client, and she has a complicated store of contacts, calendars and lots of mail with lots of folders.

If I follow the instructions above, her Outlook client will still be configured for the account and the old username.

Outlook using Connect-as-Exchange is finicky.

Does anyone have experience or advice for this change?

This is an old thread, I'm hoping that someone will notice my question and offer suggestions or experience.

Should I delete the old account and use the configuration tool to reconfigure Outlook to the new username?
  •  
Pavel Špalek (Kerio)

I'm afraid you will need to create a new Outlook profile.
You can try to change user name and e-mail in profile configuration, but it's not supported scenario. The result will be probably very similar (full account synchronization) and unpredictible errors may appear.

Pavel Špalek
developer - Kerio Connect
Previous Topic: E-Mail Encryption using public/private keys
Next Topic: How to connect Kerio to OpenLDAP (slapd Linux)
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Oct 22 08:27:26 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00505 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.