Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Connections to the mailserver client
  •  
garrick

Send a private message to this user
I have been looking all over the web for a cheaper alternative to Microsoft Exchange and Kerio seems very promising.

I just have a few questions about how the clients would access the mail server.
For example with Microsoft server 2003 every computer that connects to the server requires a license.
If I install Kerio mail server on a server with server 2003 installed do I still need to purchase licenses to connect to the server?
If that is the case I will use Linux for the server as it's much cheaper.

Also how does Terminal Services affect Kerio mail server?
Does Terminal Services for Windows server 2003 need to be installed on the server?
Does Kerio require this component of windows?

My last question is with non English text, can Kerio mail server run on a computer that has been installed with a Japanese version of Windows?
The server would have an English OS but some of the clients would need to communicate in Japanese and would have to send some Japanese messages in Outlook.

Like I said before I've looked for a cheaper alternative to Exchange and Kerio seems promising because you can still run Outlook which is what we have been using till now.
I have found other messaging programs but they don't support Foreign language text.
If someone could help with these questions I'd be much obliged.
I need to make a decision soon on a mail server.
Thanks! --- Garrick
  •  
carlPjohnson

1) Licensing, Kerio is licensed by itself and windows licenses apply to file/print and you need no extra licenses for a windows server to run Kerio.

2) TS, Kerio has NO need for TS and I would not recommend running Kerio on the same server as a TS application server, remote is ok though.

3) Kerio understands multiple languages (to the best of my understanding) and the server OS has little bearing on what languages can/cannot be accepted, they just need to specify the language type on the client side (outlook or web client).
  •  
garrick

Thanks for the help!
  •  
winkelman

3) I've had it happen that Kerio Server (running on Win2000 Server) would give warnings in its logs about languages not installed. This when clients were putting there webmail into Japanese. Strange that the server would care about the clients language, but so it was.

Installing Japanese support on the server made the warnins go away. (Installing Japanese supprt was as easy as browsing to a Japanese website from the server and clicking on 'yes' when Internet Explorer askes if I wanted to install Japanese support.)
  •  
garrick

I haven't tried webmail yet, I know Outlook is full of bugs but people seem to prefer it because it's what everyone uses.
Previous Topic: PDA's
Next Topic: MAPI vs IMAP
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Nov 19 06:11:17 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00470 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.