Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » network store directory doesn't work, please help!
  •  
wyx2000

Send a private message to this user
I believe I can use a network directory as store directory of my kerio email, right, but after I copied the whole directory a my network server stats1, it seems kerio can not create new folder on it, I got error like :

Cannot create directory \\stats1\kmail\store/mail/xxxxx.ca/root when creating folder ~root<_at_>xxxxx.ca

the kerio service account has admin right on the store server.

please help!

thanks!
  •  
peterj

That sounds crazy to me & I don't think it's possible..!

Why on Earth would you want to do that anyway???
  •  
wyx2000

I don't quite understand. Are you saying to use a network directory is crazy?

I thought it is common practise to put emails on network driver? don't you agree? and in this case, I think if I put store directory on network driver, I can use the same directory from another server which can be a backup email server. Once the primary email server down, I can start the secondary email server without losing any email, doesn't it sound good?

I can not believe I can not use network driver to as the store driver, but if it is true, please let me know ASAP, I need switch it back.

thanks!
  •  
easiconseil

A don't know if KMS support UNC path, if it support it, your path must works, but check your mailserver.cfg file, i see in your path "/" and "\" and under windows only "\" are supported in UNC

--
MaT
Courriel : mat<_at_>pnymail.com
--------------------------------
  •  
wyx2000

I noticed that too. But the path I specified is

\\stats1\kmail\store

after that, /mail/xxxxx.ca/root is what Kerio added when it tries to create root user under domain xxxxx.ca. Not sure why it does that.
  •  
winkelman

Try mapping a drive letter...
  •  
wyx2000

You bet I tried that. When I map the network store to a driver, I can not start Kerio service, the error is

The Kerio MailServer service terminated with service-specific error 1.

•  
RPC_Admin

I got the network store to work. The tips I learned are that you cannot use the "browse" button to browse to the network store. You must type in the UNC path. Also I found it worked better when I defined the user, even though the machine had full rights to that directory.
  •  
winkelman

How about performance? There's quite some diskactivity: readin mail, updating indexes, etc. Does it work smoothly from a network drive (now that you have it up and running)? Disk throughput is of course not that great for KMS, a network share is fine as far as that's concerned, but the diskaccess would be high(er) latency...

[Updated on: Tue, 28 February 2006 15:13]

•  
RPC_Admin

winkelman wrote on Tue, 28 February 2006 09:12

How about performance? There's quite some diskactivity: readin mail, updating indexes, etc. Does it work smoothly from a network drive (now that you have it up and running)? Disk throughput is of course not that great for KMS, a network share is fine as far as that's concerned, but the diskaccess would be high(er) latency...

I am sorry I misread, I have my backup go to a server. I have my store locally
  •  
winkelman

B74ubba wrote on Tue, 28 February 2006 15:20

I am sorry I misread, I have my backup go to a server. I have my store locally

A okay, that makes sense, yes.
  •  
wyx2000

It seems I am in another world. I think we usually go for a file server to gain better performance. Local network can have 1G speed, it is much faster than hardisk access speed. And File server can have better hardware to serve file access.

Anyway, let's leave performance aside. I can not believe my question just leave like this and noone from Kerio give me a better answer. In some way, Kerio is good, but the service is poor. Oh, by the way, if you run the cfgwizard, you will lost all your domains and users without warning. Although it backs up to a bak file, but when you run a second time, the bak is overrided again. That is what happened to me. Who is idea to backup like that?

B74ubba, I don't have problem to pick directory by browse. I even modified the mailserver.cfg directly since it is just a xml file. yes, the problem is Kerio can not create new user on network directory. When you already have user folders in, you will not have problem to receive emails, but from log you can tell it still has problem to create some temp files.
  •  
RPC_Admin

wyx,
In my experience with Kerio and I beleive Kerio states this publicly somewhere. They don't officially give support on the forums. If you want support call them or submit a troubleticket. I personally haven't had a time in the past year where I called and didn't get an answer within minutes. When I submit tickets online it's usually somewhat slower. These forums are ideally a user help user situation. There are some Kerio reps that help out but contacting support is the best way to get your answer.

As for me, like I said I misread and thought you were talking about the backups. The information I gave was about them. Sorry
  •  
winkelman

wyx2000 wrote on Tue, 28 February 2006 19:05

It seems I am in another world. I think we usually go for a file server to gain better performance.

Throughput may be higher on a central high performance server (but even that is not really true in my opinion), but latency to file access on a remote server is a lot higher than local latency. Lot's of small file accesses is what KMS does and latency is a much larger performance factor than throughput in those circumstances. Most people AFAIK use a central server for a lot of other reasons than performance (ease of administration, backup, centralized file access, etc. etc.) If you want high performance, you install four 15.000rpm SCSI drives in RAID-0 in the local machine... try getting 400+Mbytes/s with 2msec latency from a remote server! ;-)

But hey, I don’t want to start some OT discussion here (ha, I just did:-).

Kerio support is excellent: just give them a call if you need urgent help or submit a ticket for less urgent matters. You’ll see they react adequately.

wyx2000

Well, performance is really OT here, and that should have nothing to do with whether you can use network driver or not.

I am fine if they don't response here. But look at the first comment from Kerio rep. He said my idea is "crazy", obviously, they just leave crazy man like here and don't bother follow up.

But thanks for people like you. At least I have got some ideas.
Previous Topic: KSP problems in outlook 2003
Next Topic: Webmail Filter System bug in French Language
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Nov 19 04:19:38 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00578 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.